We're better than Kansas

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Would love to have seen how the game played out if he doesn't throw it into the stands on that fastbreak and instead uses his athleticism to go right at Lawson one on one. Worst case scenario there, he gets fouled and goes to the line to shoot for a lead.

I’m not sure they would have called a foul no matter what after seeing him get hammered on the dunk attempt. I was happy it was mike shooting free throws though.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If I told you before the season started that we'd be 4-3 after the first seven conference games, would you have been happy with that? I know I would've been.
Considering that would include playing Kansas at home and at Phog Allen and Tech (who had only lost to Duke) in Lubbock, I probably would have been happy.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
More times than not LW has been a liability this season.
You think it's all mental for him? I'm not wanting to totally get down on him as he does do some good things out there but he's definitely not on the same page with everyone else.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
Considering that would include playing Kansas at home and at Phog Allen and Tech (who had only lost to Duke) in Lubbock, I probably would have been happy.
I'd have been happy with 4-3 but now knowing what I do just makes the Baylor and KSU losses more frustrating. Could be 6-1 instead. Even though both Baylor and KSU have looked pretty good since we've played them.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Not sure we are better, but we are darn close. Really struggled defensively in the paint last night. Would have liked to see Conditt get a few minutes, but rumors were that he was sick. KU had way too many driving layups and way too many offensive rebounds. Lard was not good last night. Got a couple cheap fouls right away, and never really got in the flow of the game. Jacobson looked like he didn't feel very good out there. Played well, but he just looked a little flush, like he was coming down with something. LW is a train wreck out there. He need to settle down and play basketball. Clones have a lot of nice pieces, just not a great team right now.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
I’m not sure they would have called a foul no matter what after seeing him get hammered on the dunk attempt. I was happy it was mike shooting free throws though.
Being a fast break changes who has the advantage/benefit of the doubt though. In a half court set, trying to take it to a shot blocker is typically advantageous to the defender because he's just there waiting. A 3 on 2 fast break is advantageous to the offense. The shot blocker is back pedaling and on their heels. You gotta take it to him down one, in the bonus, and on a fast break with numbers. AND being the most athletic guy on the floor.

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
Yeah, the replay didn't show any body contact at all (was not in-frame), but the block itself was clean as can be.
I was OK with the no call, but there was plenty of contact with LW's chest and shoulder for it to go the other way. You could only see it from one angle, though. Again, I'm not saying it was at a bad call, just that there was significant body contact. But now that I think about it, Lawson might have gone straight up anyway. So....nevermind?

I will say this - Lawson should have been whistled for worse moving screens earlier in the game than the one that got called. He was throwing blocks out there on several possessions.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I'd have been happy with 4-3 but now knowing what I do just makes the Baylor and KSU losses more frustrating. Could be 6-1 instead. Even though both Baylor and KSU have looked pretty good since we've played them.

Gee, you mean they might actually be decent teams?

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
More times than not LW has been a liability this season.

I totally agree Dress....LW just is having a nightmare of a season.... but the season is not over by a long shot so maybe, just maybe, Wiggs will regain his form from last year.............and remember GO Cyclones

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Well, win the conference then.

As always, if we could have other teams not **** their pants at the sight of blue, we'd have a better chance. Allen Fieldhouse is a massive advantage for KU. I love Hilton, but it's not AFH.

Kansas State and Texas Tech have to beat KU on their home courts. If they don't it's 15 (?) straight for Kansas.

lakewoodcy

Mar 23, 2010
I totally agree Dress....LW just is having a nightmare of a season.... but the season is not over by a long shot so maybe, just maybe, Wiggs will regain his form from last year.............and remember GO Cyclones

Agree here. Last night was a frustrating loss, but not a bad loss. This team is very close to figuring these close road games out...which it did in Lubbock. Now needs consistency.

I am optimistic about the month of February. I remember two years ago, the team struggled through January, and finally caught fire with the game at AFH in February. Burton goes off for 7 3s. That team found its mojo and never looked back. I think this team can do the same. Prohm seems to take a little more patient tack at coaching his team to its optimum performance level.

Until that game, we didn't trust Burton. Everyone complained about him like we do LW. But the light finally came on and he became our mismatch. It will happen for LW - maybe Lard, too.
But LW would be enough to finish these games. He can be a big-time play maker. Just needs to figure it out. In the future, I think THT will be that Burton-type mismatch. But he doesn't have that kind of inside game yet. Right now, he's taking too many bad 3s. Glad to see him score more last night, though.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Lawson won the game for them. I think we are slightly better on the whole, but I think they have the best player.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
One big way that KU took control of the game was on perimeter defense. Kansas came out in the second half determined that they were going to disrupt ISU on the perimeter and Self wasn't going to let the fear of foul trouble stop him. They were aggressive and extremely hands on. The officials weren't going to call the shoving and hand checking on the perimeter so to their credit they continued to do it. It is tough to get a head of steam up taking it to the basket when you are getting shoved 25 feet away from it. ISU did not adjust to what the officials were allowing and they paid for it. KU was able to drive and beat them at the rim.

• Agree
Reactions: oldman

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron