Well ... to the basement we go

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
This post above sums up exactly where we are right now. Nobody is thrilled with how this team is playing with all the constant mistakes, etc. The coaching really does leave a lot to be desired.

BUT.... the entire question is...... is this just the best we can do, and the best we can expect at ISU? Maybe it is. Matt has brought us further than anyone ever has... maybe that's as good as it gets? Maybe that's the ceiling for us?
If that's what the expectation is than one thing is certain. The 2020 season is the peak not the ceiling. There was more than one disturbing indicator from this Kansas game. I hope the game was simply an anomaly. However, the same intransigence and indecisiveness has been seen as the key signs of once promising programs that were trending up to suddenly trend downward.

I truly hope this is not the sign of a program that goes from averaging 7-8 wins a season with constant bowl game appearances to one that maybe scratches out a 6-6 season with 4-6 wins being the average before 2-3 wins becomes typical.

Yesterday I saw someone on the Iowa State sideline who did not look confident in himself for the first time ever.

• Dumb
Reactions: aauummm

Cyclonefan710

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2012
We don't have any good wins yet this year.... that's an issue.
I was referring to who else could we have beat that he would have considered a good win? His old argument about no good wins is beyond dumb.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
5-7 KU is also possible, just like 2009.

You obviously haven’t watched Kansas much this year. Specifically their performance where they boat raced Houston after falling behind by double-digits on the road. Kansas is going to score 28+ every week with the exception of the Baylor game.

• Agree
Reactions: Lafaester54

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I tend to agree with you here, but I have said for probably 3 or 4 seasons that CMC needs to learn from his mistakes and make improvements to his "process" (ie his huge set of binders with the magic formula). "Sharpen the saw" as they say in 7 Habits.

And he absolutely has NOT done that, at all.

Based on that, I now think he is what he is. So just get comfortable with special teams that lose games, and no overall offensive strategy.
I am in complete agreement with everyone who wants more and thinks it’s insane how we keep seeing the exact same thing every year. Matt has to change. Will he? We will see as every year passes. But I won’t be too concerned with our trajectory until the recruiting starts to go south and trends to being terrible for a few years in a row.

Recruiting is the lifeblood of any program and Matt has improved that. Hopefully we can learn to harness all of that recruiting, but I try to keep a level head and not lose my **** when we lose a game. We can demand more and should BUT it has to be within reason. And my point was I don’t want to find out what happens should we ever become like Nebraska fans and Matt says, “Fine I am out to bigger and better things.”

And there is a part of our fan base that has started to already forget where we came from. It’s a dangerous road.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I think ISU will beat WVU and TT and pick off one other team to finish (6-6). I saw a projection today of the Birmingham Bowl vs. South Carolina which would be kind of groovy since I went to my first ISU game in 1978 in the Hall of Fame Classic @ Legion Field in Birmingham. The new stadium (Protective Stadium) looks nice, is right downtown and would be fun trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: aauummm

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
5-7 KU is also possible, just like 2009.
You guys aren’t giving KU enough credit sure with some made field goals we win however our defense played lights out the second half! Hopefully they can do the same to Martinez that they did to the QB’s from KU! However this team goes as far as our offensive line takes us!

• Informative
Reactions: surly

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Not only is this not the best ISU can do, it's not even the best THIS TEAM can do. They continue to lose games because of bad special teams and "margins" type bonehead mistakes.

That doesn't mean 9-10 wins every year, but it does mean not giving games away, making the same mistakes over and over.

Yeah, I don't get it. For a coach that is constantly preaching winning in the margins, we lose more in the margins than any team I've ever seen. It isn't hard to be competent on special teams. A couple less boneheaded mistakes and we're 5-0 right now.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Yeah, I don't get it. For a coach that is constantly preaching winning in the margins, we lose more in the margins than any team I've ever seen. It isn't hard to be competent on special teams. A couple less boneheaded mistakes and we're 5-0 right now.
I think thats whats so frustrating for all us fans. They COULD be 5-0 if they could get out of their own way. They arent Bama 2.0, and every team loses a couple every year to self-inflicted wounds. But they lose 1 score games after making a half dozen just egregious unforced errors; so tantalizingly close to success.