Weird Things People Eat

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I think everything people eat is strange--at some point in human history, everything we currently consume was just a strange object that nobody had eaten before. I mean, how weird is it that once upon a time, someone saw a round white object fall out of a chicken and thought "mmm, I would love to crack that baby open, heat it up a little bit, and insert the contents into my mouth"? Odd, right?

Or how about the guy who discovered cows milk was good. WTF was he doing down there? :wideeyed:

D

DistrictCyclone

Or how about the guy who discovered cows milk was good. WTF was he doing down there? :wideeyed:

As if that's not odd enogh, can anyone name another animal that drinks the milk of another species?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I think everything people eat is strange--at some point in human history, everything we currently consume was just a strange object that nobody had eaten before. I mean, how weird is it that once upon a time, someone saw a round white object fall out of a chicken and thought "mmm, I would love to crack that baby open, heat it up a little bit, and insert the contents into my mouth"? Odd, right?

agreed.
Think about the first time some cavemen accidentally left some grapes out in the sun, while they went hunting. When they came back with no mastodon, they're all bummed because there's nothing to eat. Then one of them was like "Screw you guys, you can starve if you want. But me? I'm eating these shriveled old grapes!" And the other cavemen just made fun of him and said stuff like "Look at Jerry! He's eating old grapes! Gross! What a moron!"
Fast forward a couple weeks, and Jerry's sitting pretty. Got the biggest cave. All kinds of women around. Still eating old grapes. And those other guys? They're dead... after Jerry bashed their heads with his club for making fun of him. There's a moral here, folks.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

I wonder about stuff like that all the time. Like how did they discover meat? Or figure out what causes babies?

Our cats drink cow's milk.

D

DistrictCyclone

agreed.
Think about the first time some cavemen accidentally left some grapes out in the sun, while they went hunting. When they came back with no mastodon, they're all bummed because there's nothing to eat. Then one of them was like "Screw you guys, you can starve if you want. But me? I'm eating these shriveled old grapes!" And the other cavemen just made fun of him and said stuff like "Look at Jerry! He's eating old grapes! Gross! What a moron!"
Fast forward a couple weeks, and Jerry's sitting pretty. Got the biggest cave. All kinds of women around. Still eating old grapes. And those other guys? They're dead... after Jerry bashed their heads with his club for making fun of him. There's a moral here, folks.

Of all the lol-able content in this post (and there's a lot), I think my favorite is that you decided to name the caveman "Jerry". Jerry the Caveman, lol.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

1000 pts for the Calvin and Hobbes reference?
cowmilk.png

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I wonder about stuff like that all the time. Like how did they discover meat? Or figure out what causes babies?

Discover meat? It's not like meat comes from a mine deep into the center of the earth. Animals are BORN with that instinct to eat. :twitcy:

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
As if that's not odd enogh, can anyone name another animal that drinks the milk of another species?

my favorite bedtime snack is pickled okra followed by a swig of milk.

when i was a kid i used to eat ketchup with my peas. it was mainly to mask the disgusting flavor of canned peas though.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Discover meat? It's not like meat comes from a mine deep into the center of the earth. Animals are BORN with that instinct to eat. :twitcy:

I'm thinking along the lines of the milk question. Did they look at a cow one day and say, you know, we already drink that white stuff, why don't we cut it open and cook up the insides? I suppose it's just all instincts and trial and error. When Jerry's brother Uga died after eating mushrooms, they all probably decided to stick with the grapes.

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv

recently watched a documentary about some tribes in papua new guinea (arguably the most isolated peoples in the world) and they saw no connection between sex and pregnancy. spirits, of course, caused a woman to become pregnant.

what a ***** that must be. randomly get pregnant at the will of the gods.

Last edited:

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I'm not sure if this is what OP as looking for, but on Wednesday I ate a hotdog cooked in a truck on the side of the road in Mexico. The truck was spliced into a nearby power line for power and had a guy working on the transmission inside of it next to the people cooking. There was a sink on the back though that drained into a 5 gallon bucket so I assume the cook washed up and everything was sanitary.

To answer the two questions everyone has:

1) It was amazing. By far the best hotdog I have ever had and quite possibly one of the best things I have ever ate.
2) Less than an hour.

View attachment 17682 View attachment 17683 View attachment 17684 View attachment 17685

Reactions: oldman

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
recently watched a documentary about some tribes in papua new guinea (arguable the most isolated peoples in the world) and they saw no connection between sex and pregnancy. spirits, of course, caused a woman to become pregnant.

In their defense, spirits can often result in a pregnancy.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale

I bet the first person to eat an egg did it on a dare.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
recently watched a documentary about some tribes in papua new guinea (arguable the most isolated peoples in the world) and they saw no connection between sex and pregnancy. spirits, of course, caused a woman to become pregnant.

wine and spirits, maybe. They help, anyway.