Website Builder

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by isucyfan, Oct 1, 2008.

1. isucyfan

isucyfan Speechless

Apr 21, 2006
    Dad/Student
    Saint Paul, MN
    Ratings:
    +822 / 0 / -0
    I have to build a website for a class I'm taking, and I really don't want to learn HTML or anything. Does anyone have any suggestions for a free "drag & drop" type site builder? I have used Homestead in the past, but I see now that they charge after a 30 day free trial. Yahoo's looks OK, but I don't have any experience with that one.

Suggestions?

2. cmoneyr

cmoneyr Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2006
    IT
    Ames, Born and Raised
    Ratings:
    +341 / 0 / -0
  3. isucyfan

isucyfan Speechless

Apr 21, 2006
    Dad/Student
    Saint Paul, MN
    Ratings:
    +822 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I had just checked out Weebly a bit ago...it seems OK; not as good as the pay sites, but not bad for a basic website. I'm considering it.

4. CyGuy33

CyGuy33 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2008
    West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    You can create something in microsoft word and save it as an HTML file. This usually will create the ****** you need.

5. isucyfan

isucyfan Speechless

Apr 21, 2006
    Dad/Student
    Saint Paul, MN
    Ratings:
    +822 / 0 / -0
    Oh, and I think my ISP (Qwest) provides free website space, but then what should I use to create the site? i.e. what's easy?

6. Nedrick

Nedrick Active Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Graphic Designer
    Carroll, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Have you ever heard of KompoZer? I use it with my Mac (but it's cross-platform). It can be done with tables or CSS if you know it.

7. tejasclone

tejasclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Technical Writer
    Chicago, IL
    Ratings:
    +633 / 6 / -0
    Ugh. Creating web content in Word and saving as HTML is brutal if you ever want to manipulate the HTML code yourself. Word adds a whole bunch of proprietary junk to the code that increases the file size and adds a lot of unnecessary information.

How advanced does the website need to be? Really, the best way to do it is to build the site from scratch with code. But, if you don't know what you're doing, it could take awhile.

8. jumbopackage

jumbopackage Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Ratings:
    +248 / 0 / -0
    I know the full mozilla suite has/had one.

I guess it sort of depends on what you need the website to do...

9. TykeClone

TykeClone Burgermeister!

Oct 18, 2006
    Ratings:
    +754 / 7 / -0
  10. isucyfan

isucyfan Speechless

Apr 21, 2006
    Dad/Student
    Saint Paul, MN
    Ratings:
    +822 / 0 / -0
    It doesn't need to be real advanced. It's basically going to be a mock-up of something I might make after graduation and getting a job in the field. It won't be used by anyone but my professor and classmates.

I'm still hashing out what I will be putting on it, but I'm guessing it will mostly be using links to other sites, and maybe podcasts, videos, etc. It's for kids, so there might be games, activities, etc.

I'm not looking to get too involved, because I'm sure I don't have to in order to get a good grade. It's more to just introduce people to the technology of building a site. There's no way I can learn any sort of advanced coding to get it done in two weeks, and I'm sure that I'm not expected to.

11. isubeatle

isubeatle Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Web Designer
    Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    this just made my head explode. please don't do this, you will thank yourself later

12. CYdTracked

CYdTracked Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Male
    IT
    Grimes, IA
    Ratings:
    +607 / 27 / -0
    I use Adobe GoLive which is a nice app. I don't have to tinker with the HTML for a basic site but you will have to tinker with the formating and various features with HTML editors to make things look right.

13. CYdTracked

CYdTracked Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Male
    IT
    Grimes, IA
    Ratings:
    +607 / 27 / -0
    What class is this by the way. There was/is an English class that teaches building websites. I think it was English 313. Pretty good course but the strange thing was that when I took it the prof said I was one of the very few IT majors that he'd ever had. Most English or design majors are required to take the course, for me it was an elective.

14. isufbcurt

isufbcurt Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Male
    CPA
    Newton
    Ratings:
    +3,259 / 146 / -0
    I just use microsoft frontpage for mine

New Page 1

• Like Like x 1
  15. dmclone

dmclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Ratings:
    +969 / 44 / -0
    Try google page creator.

16. isucyfan

isucyfan Speechless

Apr 21, 2006
    Dad/Student
    Saint Paul, MN
    Ratings:
    +822 / 0 / -0
    It's a children's programming class for my online grad school, San Jose State, for library science.

The website is just a small part of the class overall, so I'm not worried that it has to be really good.

17. cmoneyr

cmoneyr Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2006
    IT
    Ames, Born and Raised
    Ratings:
    +341 / 0 / -0
    It's Google Sites now I believe.

18. Cloned4Life

Cloned4Life Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2006
    IT Compliance
    West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +107 / 19 / -0
    I was signed up for a similiar class but had to drop it to fit in a required class.

It still really bugs me, and it's sort of my own fault - I graduated in MIS and didn't take/wasn't required to take any web development/design class of any kind. I know there were various kinds of web development/design courses at ISU but it never worked out (schedule wise) for me to take em - I wish MIS would have just required it.

O well. I did manage to learn a little html, css, flash, and ASP.NET on my own however. And now my job has nothing to do with web development :smile:

19. jumbopackage

jumbopackage Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Ratings:
    +248 / 0 / -0
    Interactive, fancy websites are not overly simple to create, but it takes a lot of time, and some amount of programming experience, though it's more akin to microsoft access or visual basic than it is to, say, C or java.

You basically have two "routes". Something along the lines of google sites will suffice for basic functionality. To do "advanced" things without getting into the weeds, you probably need to get some sort of hosting deal and, I would suspect, something like phpNuke or another CMS that would allow you to do most of what you want to do without getting your hands too dirty.

This site would have to be hosted either on a local server or computer (you could probably get a simple Apache/Mysql/php setup on your computer), or hosted on a provider's server for 5 bucks a month or so. For the hosting option, you'll need to register a domain name as well, which runs about 10 bucks/year.

20. jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Publications Manager
    Macomb, MI
    Ratings:
    +3,634 / 74 / -1
    I use Adobe Dreamweaver. However, keep in mind this is not a cheap option at all. But it will do almost anything you can possibly want a website to do, especially if you team it up with the rest of one of Adobe's Creative Suites.