Weather thread, 12/19 - 12-22

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
Looks like the GFS models have the weekend storm back south of Iowa again with northeastern MO getting the brunt of it. Central Iowa is forecasted for under an inch now.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
With the exception of one GFS run from yesterday the models and ensembles have had this consistently south of Central Iowa the whole time.

Doesn't mean it won't change, but nothing has indicated yet that Central Iowa is a wise bet.

SE Iowa could see quite a bit, so it wouldn't take much to change however.

Last edited:

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
FdWx what are your thoughts for tomorrow night? We will be driving from Wichita to CR. Sadly can't leave ICT until 4:30ish.

To me it looks like possibly icy but low QPF so somewhat of a toss up.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
FdWx what are your thoughts for tomorrow night? We will be driving from Wichita to CR. Sadly can't leave ICT until 4:30ish.

To me it looks like possibly icy but low QPF so somewhat of a toss up.

Yeah it looks pretty gross tomorrow. Fog/Drizzle likely for much the day, and highs probably not topping 32 or 33.

Like you said, low totals, probably not much more than 0.05" but could put a light glaze, especially on the back roads.

Most of the day, all the saturation is at low, warm levels, so I don't think there will be any ice in the clouds which takes snow out of the equation until night.

My guess is the main roads will hold up better during the day, but off of those roads, or at night there will probably be some interesting stretches.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Yeah it looks pretty gross tomorrow. Fog/Drizzle likely for much the day, and highs probably not topping 32 or 33.

Like you said, low totals, probably not much more than 0.05" but could put a light glaze, especially on the back roads.

Most of the day, all the saturation is at low, warm levels, so I don't think there will be any ice in the clouds which takes snow out of the equation until night.

My guess is the main roads will hold up better during the day, but off of those roads, or at night there will probably be some interesting stretches.
Like you know...

:wink:

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
The GFS has pushed it back north, and is pegging the CR, IC and Dubuque area for up to a foot of snow.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
The GFS has pushed it back north, and is pegging the CR, IC and Dubuque area for up to a foot of snow.

But the 06z gfs today had 0.0"

Can't do too much with it right now with that wide of spread. Energy won't come on shore in Cali until Thursday night...so models will probably be all over the place until at least Friday morning

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
But the 06z gfs today had 0.0"

Can't do too much with it right now with that wide of spread. Energy won't come on shore in Cali until Thursday night...so models will probably be all over the place until at least Friday morning

You're waiting for Hy-Vee and Ace Hardware to increase the kickbacks, aren't you? :jimlad:

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
This run looks good for snow, and across the 3 major models as well. That said, it's one run against a history keeping the storm south, living and dying on one run is a good way to get burned. Added to that, even with good run, something the GFS is only putting out a 3-5 inch snowfall for Des Moines with amounts tapering off pretty quickly as you head NW. Still feel SE Iowa is a better bet on this one.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Can anyone post an updated model(s) for this storm. Im planning on heading home on Sunday (Eastern Iowa), and I just want to know if I am going to have to hang here in Ames for a couple extra days.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Can anyone post an updated model(s) for this storm. Im planning on heading home on Sunday (Eastern Iowa), and I just want to know if I am going to have to hang here in Ames for a couple extra days.

adriana-lima-051109.jpg

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines

Any particular model at this point is pretty useless. They were pretty consistently south, now they've basically lost run-to-run consistency.

Things should narrow down some on Friday when the storm comes on shore.

Here are the last 6 GFS runs snow totals for Des Moines:
4.0, 0.0, 0.0, 2.0, 2.3, 0.1

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
With making two round trips to Des Moines in the next week, I'm not liking this talk about SE Iowa.

:sad:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I thought we were good with my son flying into DM mid-morning Friday when I checked this morning. Now is it the middle of a snowstorm?:sad:

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
So, it looks like most of the conversation has been on the Sunday event. With the Thursday stuff will it suck to drive Ames-Minni Friday morning or should it all be past by then?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron