We will not take the next step until...

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
The student section has been so packed for every other game this season that they've been spilling out and overflowing into the hillsides. Anyone who sits in the upper deck in the student section would be able to confirm this - for at least the entire first quarter ushers are telling kids to find a place to sit or go to the hillsides.

As far as the OP's post - I agree we need to protect JTS. Both the K-State and WVU games came down to the final couple minutes of play. I think that's a step in the right direction compared to the history of our program in the past 20 years.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I started this thread and it had nothing to do with fan attendance. Out attendance is fine. We just cannot continue to lose at home in conference to the tune of 1-4 if we want to take the next step.

Must protect Jack Trice Stadium.

HARMCYN

Jan 20, 2012
Cambridge, IA
I don't get this at all. For the record, not complaining about game attendance, but the logic above: Stated as 'going home for break'. Classes are out no matter what, so break is the same length regardless of where you are. So it's better to be at your parent's place than your own in Ames? Either you haven't made enough friends in Ames, or it's time to...uhh I'm going to stop there, but those of you in the cattle industry understand the concept of weaning a calf.

Maybe I'm missing something, please explain, but I loved breaks in Ames. Less crowds, no class, usually got some extra hours at work and upped the bank account. Admittedly, my parents didn't pay for my school, so stupid family obligations were easily blown off with...sorry, gotta work, $'s getting low, mom.

I'm sorry, I don't hate my family

bowlfan912

Feb 15, 2010
Ames,IA
I don't get this at all. For the record, not complaining about game attendance, but the logic above: Stated as 'going home for break'. Classes are out no matter what, so break is the same length regardless of where you are. So it's better to be at your parent's place than your own in Ames? Either you haven't made enough friends in Ames, or it's time to...uhh I'm going to stop there, but those of you in the cattle industry understand the concept of weaning a calf.

Maybe I'm missing something, please explain, but I loved breaks in Ames. Less crowds, no class, usually got some extra hours at work and upped the bank account. Admittedly, my parents didn't pay for my school, so stupid family obligations were easily blown off with...sorry, gotta work, $'s getting low, mom.

Serious? First people who have had friends since high school and they go to other colleges may only be able to see them when you head home. Second there are students who are from big cities like Chicago or Minneapolis who want to do things that Ames may not have to offer. Yeah there are some people that don't want to head back for the breaks and thats cool but obviously most of the student population who have the means to travel back home do.

And I agree with the other posts I want to see my family as well and enjoy a nice holiday dinner with them

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
How many students are in Vegas for the bball team? **** the students.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I started this thread and it had nothing to do with fan attendance. Out attendance is fine. We just cannot continue to lose at home in conference to the tune of 1-4 if we want to take the next step.

I agree, if we've beaten 2 top ten teams that's a sign we've taken the next step.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I didn't go home over break. But living 13 hours away driving really cuts down the chances of a week of break worth it for 26 hours of driving.

I just don't like the students who go home every chance they get. Ex: They go home labor day, + 3 weekends, + family comes family weekend, + family comes for their birthday weekend. ALL BEFORE THANKSGIVING BREAK! But I digress... people are sometimes too reliant on their parents.

Also, attendance is not an issue now... when we average 55k... SOUTH END ZONE!

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006

And you do that with.... better athletes. Bigger, faster athletes. Hard to be better than 6-6 without them, whether the wins come at home or on the road.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
If we start finishing in the upper half of the Big 12, those empty student seats will be sold to normal fans and the students will be clamoring for the chance to get into the grassed area.

IMO, until we get a running game going or at least the threat of the ability to run the ball, we will struggle to consistently score 30+ points a game in conference. Which is what it will take to be in the top half of the conference. Right now we are in the middle of the pack in conference. Did you notice that WVU had a strong runner between the tackles who had an opening? Woody might be that kind of guy, but he needs to get through the line of scrimmage. We may have adequate linemen on our roster that need "coached up" or we need to enhance the scheme but something needs addressed prior to next year. Shontrelle and James are quick hard runners but they are not inside the tackle types. Until we can consistently get 4+ yards, its going to be tough to improve our conference record. How many 100 yd. per individual rushing games did we have in-conference?

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Get a grip man students are on break it happens not only at ISU. Our student section all year has just done an absolutely great job.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008

Yup agree 100% You have got to win at home especially in conference play that is the difference in the win lose column this year was we did not protect home field.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
IMO, until we get a running game going or at least the threat of the ability to run the ball, we will struggle to consistently score 30+ points a game in conference. Which is what it will take to be in the top half of the conference...... We may have adequate linemen on our roster that need "coached up" or we need to enhance the scheme but something needs addressed prior to next year. Shontrelle and James are quick hard runners but they are not inside the tackle types. Until we can consistently get 4+ yards, its going to be tough to improve our conference record.

How many 100 yd. per individual rushing games did we have in-conference?

-We ran for 234 yesterday, with a 5.1 ypc average.
-As a team, for the year we average 4.2 ypc, including sacks. White and SJ average 5.3 and 4.4 YPC respectively. JB 4.3 YPC, Nealy 5.1 YPC, Sam 6 YPC. Even Woody averages 4.9 YPC. Jantz averaged 2.4
-Last year 5 out of the top 6 rushers averaged better than 4.2 TPC (the team 4.2). Jantz averaged 2.6
-The only RB to average less than 4 YPC for a season under CPR was Schwartz in 2009

Who the **** cares about a single guy getting 100 yards in a game? What a meaningless stat.

What does hurt from the run game is how susceptible Mess is to dialing up a TFL. The combination of slow developing runs and letting a DLineman free for the QB to key on is very risky.

Last edited:

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
We were a better road team in conference play than a home team that should not happen. Trust me I like winning on the road, but you have got to win at home especially when we fill Jack Trice up and are spending our hard earned money on season tickets. If you don't win at home people will not show up. I will definitely be a season ticket holder for next year, but maybe some others will not cause we only won one game at home in conference play I hope not, but that could happen.

Brooksie

Oct 11, 2012
Woodbury
I know many people/students that live within reasonably driving distances, but didn't want or feel the need to go the game because IT WAS ON NATIONAL TELEVISION. Don't blame them for not driving and leaving their families to go stand in the cold.

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
Worst weather game I have been to since I started coming to games 7 years ago. That being said, still impressive turnout. I hope everyone ******** about attendance is still warming up their hands against the register like I am, or you have absolutely no room to talk.

i was there and i will say that i was extremely disappointed in attendance, students and general population alike. absolutely pathetic. it was obvious a crap ton of people just left at the half and never came back. i live in the south and am acclimated to warmer weather. don't people in iowa check the weather before a game. i was well prepared and never really got that cold and i HATE cold weather. i stayed till the final whistle, and even a bit longer.

just sad. can't say i would blame a recruit for not being all that impressed after that display of support.

nebraska in 2000 was way worse than this game in terms of cold.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
We were a better road team in conference play than a home team that should not happen. Trust me I like winning on the road, but you have got to win at home especially when we fill Jack Trice up and are spending our hard earned money on season tickets. If you don't win at home people will not show up. I will definitely be a season ticket holder for next year, but maybe some others will not cause we only won one game at home in conference play I hope not, but that could happen.

If people don't renew, they'll just be replaced. The demand is extremely high right now. If people choose not to renew, they likely won't be getting back in anytime soon.

docholihawk

Oct 9, 2012
clear lake
Just going off the box score on the USA Today website. Attendance for Kinnick was 69,800 or right in that area. I don't think the student section not being full affected anyone. The recruits, fans people watching on tv were aware that the students went home for the holidays.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Just going off the box score on the USA Today website. Attendance for Kinnick was 69,800 or right in that area. I don't think the student section not being full affected anyone. The recruits, fans people watching on tv were aware that the students went home for the holidays.

This is a good example of why not to look at reported attendance. That is paid attendance there was less than that in the stadium, the student section was not full and of that 12,000+ of that 69,800 were Nebraska fans.