We will be fine

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
They don't have to impress anyone. They just have to happen.

Then it's on to the real season.

The most important thing ISU could have done in the non-con was to have success in Maui and they did that.
By beating Illinois and San Diego State? Those two teams are horrible. Illinois was 2-7 heading into today’s game. SDS may end up being an OK win but certainly not something to hang our hat on.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
By beating Illinois and San Diego State? Those two teams are horrible. Illinois was 2-7 heading into today’s game. SDS may end up being an OK win but certainly not something to hang our hat on.

So you would have rather ISU lose those games?

D

Deleted member 8507

Looking at the Non-Con, I had us at 11-2 which we still have a very good chance at ending at. I just looked and Ole Miss arena only holds 9500 and they only draw around 6000 (so far). Hopefully they will be struggling about then and the crowd stays away for our game too. If we can get to 9-9 in Big12 that should definitely be in, maybe around 8 seed depending upon KC performance.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
No but I took exception to the statement that we were really good in Maui. We lost to a mediocre team and beat two poor teams.

Please show where I said ISU was really good in Maui.

Although is winning by 16 and 30 good or bad? Did you need it to be 25 and 40?

They needed to have success there. They did.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
No but I took exception to the statement that we were really good in Maui. We lost to a mediocre team and beat two poor teams.

Having "success," which is what the poster said, is not the same as "really good." Going 2-1 in a prestigious tournament widely seen by potential recruits with announcers talking up the program is definitely what most people would call "success."

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
I agree, not worried at this point considering who has been available to play. Looking back at the loss at Iowa in 2016-17, ISU made the tournament and into the second round. Iowa didn't make the tournament and lost a close one to a ranked Purdue team.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I'm not going to overreact to this loss at all. First of all, two of our main contributors just got back last game and are nowhere near in game shape yet. Second, our best player isn't back yet, and our enforcer down low isn't back yet either. Iowa was jacked up and playing out of their minds for their biggest game of the year. Their roster is chock full of Iowa kids, and we have one, Jacobson. It isn't a "rivalry" in most of our players' eyes. Kansas is a rivalry. OU is a rivalry. Iowa..... ummm...... no.
Cannot agree that this game is not a rivalry.
Sucks that eiu beat us in football, men’s and women’s basketball, wrestling and volleyball this year. And wrestling was the closest!
I know - Debbie Downer.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Cannot agree that this game is not a rivalry.
Sucks that eiu beat us in football, men’s and women’s basketball, wrestling and volleyball this year. And wrestling was the closest!
I know - Debbie Downer.

Pretty much the way every other year (generally) although even then the final score talley is usually close but this years like a Hawk sweep. Next year almost all the matchups will be in Ames, so advantage ISU on paper. The volleyball one was the one that was unforgivable IMHO. Maybe not so big an upset in the future as we look to be trending down in VB. Now, if we ever lose in cross country I'll need some serious counseling!