NBA: We think we've got some bad calls

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
More NBA bad calls from previous years. Because they always make me laugh.
[video=youtube;vaZIAXJJDKQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaZIAXJJDKQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
[video=youtube;-igP_XG-kCo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-igP_XG-kCo&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
[video=youtube;wugrOmbsV3U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wugrOmbsV3U&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
[video=youtube;kOygTd1NWCM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOygTd1NWCM&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Except on this particular play he didn't even come close to kicking his leg out.

I don't know what video you were watching, but he definitely kicked his leg out. It wasn't as blatent as some, but it was. Its a bad call because it is never called an offensive foul, but I wouldn't mind if they made it a rule that it was.

Think of the principle of verticality. If a shooter jumped straight up and down and a defender undercut him, its a foul on the defense. In this case, the defender did not jump towards the shooter, and the offensive player undercut the defender. It seems reasonable that the offensive player can get called for a foul for undercutting a defender if the defender can get fould for undercutting the shooter.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
They never call that, but I actually kind of like it. At any other time in the game, if you tripped a guy, it would be a foul. However, shooters can kick their legs out and sometimes draw a foul because of it.

The whole reason the shooter kicked his legs out was to try to trick the refs and draw a foul. I kinda like the ref who didn't fall for it and actually had the balls to call the foul on the shooter.

Ladies and Gentleman we have a special guest here today, let's give it up for Kyle Lowry's Brain. I am glad you could stop by and tell us what you were thinking on that foul.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
More NBA bad calls from previous years. Because they always make me laugh.
[video=youtube;vaZIAXJJDKQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaZIAXJJDKQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

That was a really bad case of getting the wrong free throw shooter.

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
It's not the worst call I've ever seen. Anybody remember the failmary from the packers Seahawks game with the replacement refs??? Who knew you only had to catch the guy who caught the ball.

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't know what video you were watching, but he definitely kicked his leg out. It wasn't as blatent as some, but it was. Its a bad call because it is never called an offensive foul, but I wouldn't mind if they made it a rule that it was.

Think of the principle of verticality. If a shooter jumped straight up and down and a defender undercut him, its a foul on the defense. In this case, the defender did not jump towards the shooter, and the offensive player undercut the defender. It seems reasonable that the offensive player can get called for a foul for undercutting a defender if the defender can get fould for undercutting the shooter.
Both his legs were pretty much together through almost the whole motion and the only reason they separated at the end was because the defender ran into them. And a big reason his legs were in front of his body is because he was falling away from the shot. If you think that's kicking the leg out then you have a pretty low threshold for what a kick means. Like the announcer said that was his normal shooting motion, and that should never be a foul even if they changed the rule.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
How Joey Crawford allowed to ref the finals every year? What a joke.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Just did some reading on Joey Crawford.

In 1998, Crawford was one of eight NBA referees charged with filing false income tax returns after an Internal Revenue Service investigation found that cash was being pocketed by referees when airline tickets provided by the league were downgraded. At the conclusion of a four year investigation, Crawford pleaded guilty on July 1, 1998[SUP][6][/SUP] to falsely stating income of $82,500 from 1991 to 1993[SUP][7][/SUP] and resigned from the NBA effective immediately. He was reinstated by NBA commissioner David Stern in 1999 and did not miss a game due to the players' lockout that started the 1998–99 NBA season.[SUP][8][/SUP]

And

On April 15, 2007, Crawford ejected San Antonio Spurs superstar Tim Duncan for supposedly laughing at Crawford from his seat on the bench during a game against the Dallas Mavericks. Duncan also supposedly insulted Crawford with an expletive.[SUP][8][/SUP] Duncan alleges that Crawford asked if he wanted to fight.[SUP][9][/SUP] On April 17, Crawford was suspended for the remainder of the 2006-07 season and the 2007 Playoffs as a result of this altercation, ending his 21 consecutive Finals appearances. The league also fined Duncan $25,000 for verbal abuse of an official and warned that a repeat incident in the future would result in an ejection. Commissioner David Stern said Crawford's actions "failed to meet the standards of professionalism and game management we expect of NBA referees."[SUP][8][/SUP] Crawford met with league officials on July 30 to discuss his future in the NBA but no resolution was reached.[SUP][10]
[/SUP]On September 17, 2007, the NBA announced Crawford's reinstatement. Commissioner Stern met with Crawford and stated, "Based on my meeting with Joey Crawford, his commitment to an ongoing counseling program and a favorable professional evaluation that was performed at my direction, I am satisfied that Joey understands the standards of game management and professionalism the NBA expects from him and that he will be able to conduct himself in accordance with those standards."

Sounds like its just a case of a former commissioner with a hard on for Harry Potter.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Just did some reading on Joey Crawford.

In 1998, Crawford was one of eight NBA referees charged with filing false income tax returns after an Internal Revenue Service investigation found that cash was being pocketed by referees when airline tickets provided by the league were downgraded. At the conclusion of a four year investigation, Crawford pleaded guilty on July 1, 1998[SUP][6][/SUP] to falsely stating income of $82,500 from 1991 to 1993[SUP][7][/SUP] and resigned from the NBA effective immediately. He was reinstated by NBA commissioner David Stern in 1999 and did not miss a game due to the players' lockout that started the 1998–99 NBA season.[SUP][8][/SUP]

And

On April 15, 2007, Crawford ejected San Antonio Spurs superstar Tim Duncan for supposedly laughing at Crawford from his seat on the bench during a game against the Dallas Mavericks. Duncan also supposedly insulted Crawford with an expletive.[SUP][8][/SUP] Duncan alleges that Crawford asked if he wanted to fight.[SUP][9][/SUP] On April 17, Crawford was suspended for the remainder of the 2006-07 season and the 2007 Playoffs as a result of this altercation, ending his 21 consecutive Finals appearances. The league also fined Duncan $25,000 for verbal abuse of an official and warned that a repeat incident in the future would result in an ejection. Commissioner David Stern said Crawford's actions "failed to meet the standards of professionalism and game management we expect of NBA referees."[SUP][8][/SUP] Crawford met with league officials on July 30 to discuss his future in the NBA but no resolution was reached.[SUP][10]
[/SUP]On September 17, 2007, the NBA announced Crawford's reinstatement. Commissioner Stern met with Crawford and stated, "Based on my meeting with Joey Crawford, his commitment to an ongoing counseling program and a favorable professional evaluation that was performed at my direction, I am satisfied that Joey understands the standards of game management and professionalism the NBA expects from him and that he will be able to conduct himself in accordance with those standards."

Sounds like its just a case of a former commissioner with a hard on for Harry Potter.

Help Support Us

Become a patron