America
3L9vyNi.gif
Goddamnit Leroy!!!

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
2004 and 2005 do not bother me beyond losing the game(s) that lost the North Championship(s). At least ISU didn't have to get trounced by 2004 Oklahoma and 2005 Texas like Colorado did. Not sure if the risk-reward would have been worth it.

This year is more like 1976 when (8-2) Iowa State was a win away @ Oklahoma State from winning the Big 8 and going to the Orange Bowl. Lost the game, dropped to (8-3) and No Bowl!

Let's Go State! Beat the 'Horns!
You’re absolutely correct. Problem is that over half the people on the forum were not alive when that happened and have idea who Wayne Stanley or Buddy Hardeman were. Being an old fart, I remember the game very, very well. ISU beat Neby that year, finished with the same record, and Neby got selected for a bowl game, not ISU. How does that happen?

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Weather tomorrow isn’t looking good.. better 50% chance storms with hail and gusty winds...double yikes. If it’s bad weather I’m seriously concerned..def favors Texas.

• Disagree
Reactions: NWICY and motorcy90

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
2004 and 2005 do not bother me beyond losing the game(s) that lost the North Championship(s). At least ISU didn't have to get trounced by 2004 Oklahoma and 2005 Texas like Colorado did. Not sure if the risk-reward would have been worth it.

This year is more like 1976 when (8-2) Iowa State was a win away @ Oklahoma State from winning the Big 8 and going to the Orange Bowl. Lost the game, dropped to (8-3) and No Bowl!

8-3 and no bowl, how times have changed. If you hit .500 now you get a bowl.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
8-3 and no bowl, how times have changed. If you hit .500 now you get a bowl.

Actually we could have still made it to a Bowl Game IF...Nebraska could beat Oklahoma in Lincoln NE, but the Okie's as usual came from behind with a few minutes left to WIN and keep us out of a BOWL....

Next year 1977 we made the Peach Bowl in Atlanta and me and my wife went to the game, had a great time in Atlanta but we lost the game ....but it was still a GREAT Time to be a Cyclone!

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
We're ready to take the next step. And if it doesn't happen tomorrow then there's next year.

And that isn't just a hollow saying.

I truly believe ISU football is on the cusp on great things. And as an old person fan since 1976 that's hard to believe. But I do.

I AGREE with you.... Coach Campbell will get us to the promised land of college football aka the Natl Playoffs.....

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Actually we could have still made it to a Bowl Game IF...Nebraska could beat Oklahoma in Lincoln NE, but the Okie's as usual came from behind with a few minutes left to WIN and keep us out of a BOWL....

Next year 1977 we made the Peach Bowl in Atlanta and me and my wife went to the game, had a great time in Atlanta but we lost the game ....but it was still a GREAT Time to be a Cyclone!
I was paying attention as a kid in Birmingham to what ISU was doing during that Era. FWIW, when Iowa State played Texas A&M in the Hall of Fame Classic @ Legion Field in 1978, I attended and rooted for the Cyclones. I have been an Iowa State fan ever since!

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I was paying attention as a kid in Birmingham to what ISU was doing during that Era. FWIW, when Iowa State played Texas A&M in the Hall of Fame Classic @ Legion Field in 1978, I attended and rooted for the Cyclones. I have been an Iowa State fan ever since!
I became a Cyclone fan at that exact same time, in the run up to the Bowl. Dexter Green really caught my attention!

• Friendly
Reactions: AlaCyclone

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around

I remember it well. The wife and I actually drove to Ames to sit on the floor with friends in an empty apartment and listen to the game on the radio. Our Ames friends had just rented a new apartment and the furniture hadn't arrived yet. We and another couple drove to Ames so that we could all be together for the game.

Because of the weird bowl situation back then, it was either co-Big 8 Champions and the Orange Bowl or nothing. We got the nothing. #16 Okie State won and it wasn't even close (mainly due to our quarterback, Wayne Stanley, being injured, as I recall).

It was sweet revenge when we beat #2 Okie State in 2011 to end their National Championship hopes!!

Last edited:

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006

we were on trimesters back then and we never had a full compliment of players for our bowl games.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
This was it. Everything was on the line. All the hard work from the season comes down to this game on the big stage, network TV, vs the brand of the conference. Adversity and when they need to make plays the team made them. Regardless of the outcome the rest of the season this program had made that next step. 3 or 4 years ago the level of where we are at seemed unreachable. Even last year after the ND game even though we were flirting with going up the next level it seemed so far away.