We are fine!

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
The people that cared about this rivalry game who are from Iowa, were in gold and black. I think this game meant a lot less to our players, than it did to Iowas. Kudos to the Iowa kids who played their hearts out to win this game because it meant so much to them personally.

This right here ^^^^^!

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
This team is not fine. They are not playing as a team out there, and there is no real leader on the floor. When the team gets behind a bit, they have no real clue, and apparently no drive to respond. Their typical resopnse is to jack up 3's early in the shot clock.

I don't know about everyone else, but this is not what I expected from a team that has 6 seniors, and 4 of them are 5th year seniors. They got their ***** handed to them last night by a team starting 3 freshman and a team that will lose 2 points, 2 assists, and 2 rebounds from the game last night for next year.

ISU is starting 4 5th year seniors people! That experienced of a team should look a lot better and a lot more composed than what was on the floor last night, or in Las Vegas for that matter.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Technically Iowa was favored. So a win would have been an upset. (Happy thoughts)

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
Yup. Just have to beat Drake and we should be 10-3 going into conference play. 10 wins is very possible in conference play. Just like last year, we will get better as the season progresses. Lucious will get better; remember he is still learning the system
Wait, we have a system?!?!

He's been here a year already, and it's his 5th year of college ball. The turkey's done cooking, he is what he is at this point.

TigerCyJM

May 3, 2012
Polk County, IA
Let's face it, UI is not that good. We played like complete crap yesterday, no doubt. Iowa deserved to win that game, and we sure didn't. Iowa's defense stopped our offense, and our half-court offense isn't that great to begin with. We had a couple of opportunities to grab the game, but we couldn't capitalize. Just disappointing, this sure doesn't look like an NCAA tournament team to me.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Some other things to consider. Yes, ISU lost to Drake last year.......in the 2nd game of the season, and the first road game. ISU also lost to UNI in Ames.......in the 7th game of the season. I really don't understand why the Drake loss and how ISU played after that should be so comforting to some.

A lot of the players that played in those games last year are still on the team......so did they forget? Booker, Gibson, Babb, Ejim, McGee were all playing last year.....and Clyburn and Korie were both around.

Also....ISU does not have a Royce White this year.....but ISU does have 4 5th year seniors.......RW was a sophomore at best, even though he played no games his freshman year at Minnesota. He was a unique talent.....but he had no real college experience. These 5th year seniors ISU has now have the experience, plus they came from some pretty good college programs. Some on here act like they are fresh out of high school or are all JC transfers so it will take time for them to come together. That's not the case. Except for the freshmen......this is at least everybody's 2nd year in the ISU program under CFH. If they have not picked up on things by now......I have my doubts if they will. I'm sure it is frustrating for the coaching staff.....but someone needs to kick these guys in the *** and wake them up.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
ISU had some issues last night that I can't fairly say are chronic, because I hadn't had the chance to see them play before last night. But Lucious I think was a big part of the problem last night. Guy just plays out of control, and Clemmons owned him. That's a guy who helped lead MSU to the Final Four in the absence of Kalin Lucas going against a true freshman. Unless that freshman is a John Wall-type, there's no excuse for that. Honestly, it looked like their ages were reversed, especially in the last 10 minutes. Clemmons was cool and level-headed, and Lucious looked like he was panicking and just started jacking.

I won't comment on Clyburn, because I know he's much better than what he showed last night and I don't know what his issue was (Although Marble did play probably the best defense of his life, I still think something else had to have been bothering Clyburn. Maybe he was feeling a little under the weather, IDK.).

I thought Babb took a few too many 3's, especially from well beyond the arc. IIRC, Iowa got all of the boards off the really long misses.

I was impressed with Iowa's rebounding in this one. I actually felt going in that if Iowa could keep the margin to single digits in ISU's favor, that would be a pretty solid effort.

I also liked a lot of what I saw from Niang. He cooled off in a big way after his opening barrage, but dude can play. He's going to be a handful in the future, and not just for Iowa. I actually thought he looked a little like what I'd imagine a young Royce to look like, but with better shooting.

This won't be a bad loss for ISU, especially since it was in Carver. Iowa has found the lineup that works best, IMO. Woodbury and Clemmons have really surprised me on offense these past few games, and White plays much better at the 4 than he does the 3. Plus, having Clemmons, Gesell, and Marble on the floor at once creates all kinds of mismatches because of their ability to create for others.

cyfan50438

Oct 31, 2007
Garner, IA
Drake was not the turning point last year. We were still a trainwreck after that game. Lost to UNI at Hilton, blown out by Michigan, close games against ****** mid-majors.

The two point win over MVSU was the turning point. The team got their act together after that.

I remember Fred pounding the table after a 2 point win vs this team. We were night and day different after this game.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
Drake was not the turning point last year. We were still a trainwreck after that game. Lost to UNI at Hilton, blown out by Michigan, close games against ****** mid-majors.

The two point win over MVSU was the turning point. The team got their act together after that.

I remember Fred pounding the table after a 2 point win vs this team. We were night and day different after this game.
I loved that.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
The people that are saying we are fine don't mean that at this moment we are fine. All they (including myself) mean is that in the long run, throughout this season we will be fine. We lost to an Iowa team that looked inspired out there last night. As much as we hurt ourselves, Iowa did what they needed to do. I'm in no way trying to relate any of these losses to last years team or season, but I do have a lot of faith that Freddy and Co. will be able to turn things around before it's said and done.

The sky is not falling, and I can't wait to see us turn things around as the season moves forward.

TurbulentEddie

Nov 16, 2012
Madison, WI
My prediction is that Iowa will not be considered a "bad loss" by RPI standards (unlike Drake last year) at the end of the season. I hate the RPI, but that's what will matter come NCAA tourney time. Both teams still searching for quality wins, though, especially on the road. Hope the rest of the Big 12 gets their act together to give ISU that opportunity.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
This game was exhibit A when looking up the definition of the term " hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard". They take that to heart, learn from the team that just beat them.....and they will be fine. Because all it would have taken last night to walk away with a win is for Clyburn to have an average game. Nothing special..just average. Three starters combine for 5 points and 9 turnovers....and we still had a chance? Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
Wesley, Percy chucks it up every time he gets the ball. I'm not so sure more playing time for him is the answer.

That's what post players are supposed to do! You get the ball close to the basket, and you shoot it! And with Percy it often means 2 points, whereas with Booker it means "brick" and rebound for the defense. Not much different than a turnover, which seems to be the other popular option.

BigM

Mar 2, 2007
Amesterdam
The people that cared about this rivalry game who are from Sioux City, were in gold and black. I think this game meant a lot less to our players, than it did to Iowas. Kudos to the Iowa kids who played their hearts out to win this game because it meant so much to them personally.
it's interesting how most of their in state guys (mccabe, woodbury, gessell) are from the siouxer, dirt and urine basketball hotbed up there

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2012
Des Moines
This game was exhibit A when looking up the definition of the term " hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard". They take that to heart, learn from the team that just beat them.....and they will be fine. Because all it would have taken last night to walk away with a win is for Clyburn to have an average game. Nothing special..just average. Three starters combine for 5 points and 9 turnovers....and we still had a chance? Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I am still ****** off about it. Refs were bad so Ejim gets a pass but shame on Clyburn and Luscious. I wish Naz Long got to jack up some shots. Babb, Niang, McGee, Gibson were actually all pretty solid.

Iowa are complete scrubs it just sucks that the 2 senior transfers this team will rely on heavily decided not to bring it.

Whtice

Dec 9, 2012
I am still ****** off about it. Refs were bad so Ejim gets a pass but shame on Clyburn and Luscious. I wish Naz Long got to jack up some shots. Babb, Niang, McGee, Gibson were actually all pretty solid.

Iowa are complete scrubs it just sucks that the 2 senior transfers this team will rely on heavily decided not to bring it.
How does Ejim get a pass?

Oct 10, 2012
Des Moines
How does Ejim get a pass?

IDK- got into Booker-like foul territory.

Someone between him, KL, WC is always going to be off on any given game due to the nature of their games. He picked up early fouls it was his night to be off. Refs helped the home team and he was the one who got punished early. But WC decided he didn't want to score one point and KL made sure to do 2 bad things for every 1 good thing.

Might not be fair of course. Ejim I think has done well deferring to those two up until now if they weren't here the team would be built around him I see a team player in him.

Clyburn not scoring is really inexcusable in that game.

IowaClone

Jun 24, 2009
Eh, Hoiberg will right the ship and get these guys playing hard. He will figure out his best starting 5 before big12 play and everything will be just fine. Do we miss the tournament this year ? maybe, but I don't feel that is a bad thing, give this team time to gel.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron