WBB: West Virginia at Hilton 6:30 p.m. ESPN+

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I remember a game, I believe it was against North Carolina State in which the Cyclones were up by about 25 and Bill put subs in with about 3 minutes left. NCS keep pressing and the subs turned the ball over and NCS made a mini run. Bill put the starters back in to finish the blowout. Afterwards he was pissed at the NCS staff for trying to embarrass his subs and said so..

It was North Carolina coached by Sylvia Hatchell.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I remember a game, I believe it was against North Carolina State in which the Cyclones were up by about 25 and Bill put subs in with about 3 minutes left. NCS keep pressing and the subs turned the ball over and NCS made a mini run. Bill put the starters back in to finish the blowout. Afterwards he was pissed at the NCS staff for trying to embarrass his subs and said so..
I remember that game also. I found the next-day article from the DMR about it.

"The eighth ranked Cyclones rolled to their 10th straight victory while playing before a crowd of 12,344 at Hilton Coliseum. They broke the game open by turning a 38-26 halftime lead to a 67-37 bulge with 7 minutes 46 seconds to play. Iowa State coach Bill Fennelly cleared his bench, but he sent the starters back in with 1:14 remaining after the Tar Heels scored 16 consecutive points to close within 76-63. Fennelly said he wasn't miffed at his players, but did so because North Carolina was pressing his reserves when it hadn't done so while the game was still being decided. 'If you want to press, press my first team, not my third team.'"

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Not really sure what CBF thinks for Mike Carey. I got the impression from the 700 win video those coaches were the ones CBF likes the best in the league, maybe they were the only ones available, who knows.

As for Carey - in 2010 we went to the Paradise Jam in the USVI to watch the women play, and we played WVU in the championship game. Carey literally ripped Eric Brewton a new one in the first half of the game to the point that when Brewton was on the WVU sideline, he was scared to even look at Carey. Brewton never called a T, just let Carey shred him.

It comes as no surprise to me when he erupts on the sidelines, the guy just comes as a jerk.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Had a few reflective observations last night after seeing them again in person:
  1. This team hits the floor a lot. Is there is an All-American scoring leader who hits the ground more than Ashley Joens? Taking the hits on offense. Going for loose balls. Taking charges. Seriously, Ashley's "taking a charge"/"being called for a foul" ratio has to be near 0.
  2. Everyone looks the same when they shoot 3's. Point guards, shooting guards, forwards. All have the same setting of their feet, squaring up, and quick release.
  3. Our players keep their heads up. Even when they miss shots badly or make a dumb mistake, they come right back down court next time looking to make the same play successfully this time.
  4. We have great interior passing. If anyone is open underneath on a back door cut, after someone has their drive stopped, or after someone gets a rebound, you better be looking for the ball.
  5. We take creative, high percentage shots. How many times has Ashley been stopped, just to reverse pivot or reach around to take scoop shot? I'm amazed at the "easy" shots we get that come from situations where most players would simply make a pass.
  6. Our players don't whine to the refs. It was especially evident last night as there were no shortage of opportunities for us to gripe, but we were quite the contrast to Pest Virginia.
  7. We are built for a long run in the Big 12 tournament. Our players love to play up tempo, but we have no rotation players that will get worn down with back-to-back games. This gives us an advantage later in the tournament, particularly if other teams can't rest their bigger players.

See bold/red area in quote. This is one reason I have loved watching our Cyclones. When we get a call against us we just take the call and continue to play. One thing I have noticed this year is the number of players (against us) who make hard body contact with a player but keep their hands up and then act like "what did I do to get a foul called" the rule is that you can not get in a players cylinder so it is a foul. if more officials would make this call it would clean the game up IMHO.

Reactions: barometriclow

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
See bold/red area in quote. This is one reason I have loved watching our Cyclones. When we get a call against us we just take the call and continue to play. One thing I have noticed this year is the number of players (against us) who make hard body contact with a player but keep their hands up and then act like "what did I do to get a foul called" the rule is that you can not get in a players cylinder so it is a foul. if more officials would make this call it would clean the game up IMHO.

I have seen this in both the Men's and Women's game (Jay Bilas is the leader of the battle against this). The new thing being taught is to keep your hands up and just body them as hard as you can. Unfortunately officials are so used to looking for contact with the hands that they let most of it go.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
North Carolina. Sylvia Hatchell as the coach.

I thought WVU cranking up the pressure when we had the end of the bench in was questionable, but at least they had been running a full-court defense for much of the game (or at least Q4), although not as aggressively as they did once we emptied the bench.. The deal with the UNC game was UNC didn't press us AT ALL until we emptied our bench.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

I thought WVU cranking up the pressure when we had the end of the bench in was questionable, but at least they had been running a full-court defense for much of the game (or at least Q4), although not as aggressively as they did once we emptied the bench.. The deal with the UNC game was UNC didn't press us AT ALL until we emptied our bench.

Generally full pressure would be WVU's game but I don't think they've had the depth to do it as much this year. With injuries and some transfers they haven't had the 10-12 deep roster you need to do that. Certainly not in this game where they could not early and risk foul trouble with a travel squad of only seven (the 8th was not really going to play).

• Agree
Reactions: Buster28

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames

WVU really didn't apply any sort of pressure until the end of the game. I cannot remember us facing anything beyond token resistance inbounding the ball or bringing it up the court until the last couple of minutes when Carey decided he didn't want to score to be as bad as it was.

ISU40

Jan 8, 2012
Ames
Couple things about West Virginia. It has been said by the TV people that they have the next 4 games on the road and that would be hard for the team. Well we were the first team that they played on their road stretch so if being on the road is so hard for them, we should have been the easiest since we were the first stop.
I watched the second half of WV vs. KU and they again were mentioning the travel and that they went straight from Ames to KU. They also mentioned that Niblack was sick/not feeling well vs. ISU and that affected her. I could understand not feeling well and being slower however she was limping a lot and was doing the same vs. KU (she did take a big hit in the KU game too).
I guess my whole point is I am not buying the being on the road stretch. I think the PG getting hurt is effecting them and they are getting fatigued from only playing so many players/not having a deep bench.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron