WBB: West Virginia at Hilton 6:30 p.m. ESPN+

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
154580619_3874628425891061_6723656566054451938_o.jpg

Where: Hilton Coliseum - Ames, Iowa
When: Wednesday, Feb 24 at 6:30 PM
Projected Starting Lineup: Kristin Scott, Ashley Joens, Kylie Feuerbach, Emily Ryan, Lexi Donarski
Radio: Cyclone Radio Network/Learfield
Talent: Noah Wolf, Brett Cooper
TV: Big 12 Now on ESPN+
Talent: John Walters, Molly Parrott

The Lead
Iowa State takes on No. 18 West Virginia on Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. on Big 12 Now on ESPN+. Wednesday's game will serve as Senior Night for ISU's three seniors, Rae Johnson, Madison Wise and Kristin Scott. Iowa State is looking for its 11th win in league play for the 10th time in school history.

Key Storylines

• Preseason All-American Ashley Joens is eighth in the nation in scoring, averaging 23.6 points a game. She currently ranks 11th in school history in scoring (1,544 points), and is the 11th player to reach 1,500 career points in school history. She is also the first active junior to reach 1,500 this season.
  • Joens is one of two players in the nation averaging over 23+ points and 8.5+ rebounds per game.
  • For the third-straight season, Iowa State has won 10 or more Big 12 games (2019-20, 10-8 and 2020-21, 13-5).
  • Iowa State women's basketball is ranked 33rd in the NET rankings. Iowa State has played 23 games this season, which is among the top-20 in nation for games played, 12 of which have been on the road. The Cyclones have also faced the 12th toughest schedule to date in the nation. Of teams ranked in the AP Top 25, the Cyclones rank in the top-5 in strength of schedule.
  • Cyclone freshmen have claimed seven of the Big 12's 12 Freshman of the Week honors, with Lexi Donarski (4), Emily Ryan (2) and Kylie Feuerbach (1) earning top honors.
  • Feuerbach, Donarski, Ryan and Aubrey Joens all rank in the top-12 in scoring among freshmen in the Big 12.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Senior night for Johnson, Scott and Wise. Thinking they will start the game off especially since they are all past starters at some point.

image_handler.aspx

West Virginia is likely without Madisen Smith and maybe not Kysre Gondrezick. Both were injured in last game. They combined for 39 of West Virginias 65 in their win over us in Morgantown. Smith was on crutches and IIRC, per announcers, Gondrezick came out for warmups at half but went back to locker room and did not return. Gondrezick averages 20. Only five others even played against us. Considering how close tot he vest coaches play this stuff we won't know till tipoff. Scuttlebutt from WVU fans posting was Gondrezick was under concussion protocol. I am guess Smith out for sure and Gondrezick 50/50.

If they cannot play this looks to be a 12-15 point ISU win. WVU won't be able to play their usual defense with only six players that actually play available. They are already a little short rostered. An even up full roster contest would have us a slight fav, IMHO, since we've played well at Hilton.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The seniors' "comments" on Twitter. Very nice.

I've seen Rae's name in print up here in Minnesota and at ISU since she committed her sophomore year and never knew her full name was RaeAnnah. :cool:

If Scott and Johnson settle back home in Minnesota I hope I can get them to host a WBB gamewatch next season as newly graduate alumna.

Last edited:

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
It’s our Senior Day, meaning the seniors are “in charge”. Traditionally, Coach Fen would start all his seniors on this day, so my expected starting lineup is Kristin-Maddie-Rae-Ashley-Lexi. And in all fairness, none of the seniors should play less than 10 mins. I want to see big contributions from all three of them. It’s their time to “shine”.

Last time when we played West Virginia, we scored a season low in points (56 pts) and free throws (1 for 4). This time I’d say “NOT IN OUR HOUSE”. Blessed by the Hilton Magic, and considering the circumstances that WVU might be missing their best player and another starter and we have been playing average basketball for a month, we are DUE to have a great game at home.

So far, ISU is 2-5 against Big12 top 5 opponents. This will be a great opportunity to beat a ranked team and boost our resume and seeding come tournament time. I want to see our team play aggressively on both ends of the floor from the start, get an early lead, maintain it and expand it. I want to see the team not only being mentally tough but also mentally focused with great game executions (more player and ball movement, less turnovers and forced shots). Attitude and effort are the minimum requirements, energy and intensity are must-haves, the desire for the win will get this team to the finish line.

Remember last year’s Senior Day? Something special, something magical, something unbelievable happened. Do you still have the goosebumps when that game is mentioned? I want to feel it again in this game, and so do you. Let’s stand up and cheer for our team: I believe that we will win! I Believe That We Will Win!! I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN!!!

May the Basketball God bless the Twister Sisters.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net

Scott, Wise and Johnson could return to ISU after the NCAA allowed another year of eligibility because of the pandemic. The players said Tuesday they haven’t decided if they plan to come back for another season. So they’re soaking up as many memorable moments as possible in case this is indeed their last season.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Here's the latest update from WVUWBB twitter.

Coach Carey said their point guard Madisen Smith has a hamstring injury and will be out 3-4 weeks. Their best player Kysre Gondrezick will move from the 2-guard position to 1. He didn't say if she will be avalialbe for today's game but I think ISU will prepare that she plays.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
This is a HUGE game for the sisters. They need a statement game headed into post season play. The Baylor win is now ancient history. They need to (a) play TEAM ball, (b) be aggressive, and (c) not have any full quarter lapses.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Tune-in radio stream not working tonight it appears.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Seems like the other teams' strategy has been to frustrate Ashley on defense and make her work to score. Seeing a lot more double teams and altered shots from her.

Love it when she can score around the rim, but probably needs to pass it out more to make it easier on herself.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Seems like the other teams' strategy has been to frustrate Ashley on defense and make her work to score. Seeing a lot more double teams and altered shots from her.

Love it when she can score around the rim, but probably needs to pass it out more to make it easier on herself.

Story of the season.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006

Would like to see Bill have her do that

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
Hey, an inbound play and 2 pts. Nice job ladies!

Reactions: Cycsk

OKClones

Dec 12, 2019
Didn’t exactly see much defense from us in that 1st qtr. Good offense thou!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Nice intro videos from family members for seniors.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY