WBB: West Virginia at Hilton 6:30 p.m. ESPN+

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Carey being the jerk and pressing our bench.in the last minute.
I thought I was too sensitive but turn out you guys felt the same. I don’t understand the necessity of pressing in the last minute. BF apparently not too disturbed with it.

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
The freshman record holder that Ryan passed tonight is persona non grata Nikki Moody. Apparently they don't want to say who had the record and speak the name that should not be mentioned, "Voldemort". ;)

Record was 133 assists in 2012. Ryan had already passed Lyndsey Medders, 2004, 108 and Jadda Buckley, 2014, 101. "Voldemort" still owns the single season record of 238 set in 2013.

I have a feeling when it's said and done Ryan will have all the assist records.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Skipped to the end will read the thread after my post. WHAT A GREAT SENIOR NIGHT!!!! The team played awesome a great win over a tough team. I liked having the parents/friends/relatives announce the seniors over the video screen at the game introductions. I understand not letting the parents down on the court for Sr. nite but I felt sad for them, I might have bent that rule, but I understand the decision.

On a personal note my Simpson Alum niece met me at the game tonite it was awesome to catch up with her. She was a music major so she really enjoyed getting to hear live music for the 1st time since the Covid started, plus she likes BB and we got to see a fun, entertaining game. It was a great evening overall.

Sorry (not) that this isn't a very analytical post, but sometimes you should just be happy (at least that's the way I look at it). It was a great night of ISU WBB.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I just watched this and Carey mentions/complains 2-3 times about having to finish out the season with 4 straight road games. Looking at their schedule, they have played 15 out of 20 games at home so far, so what does he expect?

LOL. They already played all of their home conference games. The games at KU and KSU are COVID makeups, and the game at BU is a weather makeup.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I just watched this and Carey mentions/complains 2-3 times about having to finish out the season with 4 straight road games. Looking at their schedule, they have played 15 out of 20 games at home so far, so what does he expect?

Aren't some of those Covid reschedules? I guess I haven't looked but I would think that BU game is for sure.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
That 14 from WVU wasn't afraid to lay down the hard foul. I was glad when she was fouled out. I think WVU put the press on to try to make the final score look better though it really didn't change it much. Didn't know about WVU's injuries but oh well you play the team that is on the floor that night.

Reactions: Buster28

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
That 14 from WVU wasn't afraid to lay down the hard foul. I was glad when she was fouled out. I think WVU put the press on to try to make the final score look better though it really didn't change it much. Didn't know about WVU's injuries but oh well you play the team that is on the floor that night.
14 was a piece of work. I stood and clapped for a long time when she picked up her fifth foul. She's only a junior. I could honestly do without her gesturing after every single foul to the refs, like "what did *I* do?" She should be playing for Lisa Bluder - it would be a perfect fit.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
14 was a piece of work. I stood and clapped for a long time when she picked up her fifth foul. She's only a junior. I could honestly do without her gesturing after every single foul to the refs, like "what did *I* do?" She should be playing for Lisa Bluder - it would be a perfect fit.

Yep she had the both arms out who me routine down pat, I think sometimes she had her arms out before the ref finished blowing their whistle. LOL.

Reactions: Buster28

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Finally! This is the kind of game we have been expecting for a long time. Before the game, I prayed for the basketball god to bless the sisters with a great game and my prayer has been answered.

This is a thorough beatdown. I don't care WVU played short-handed or lethargic as Coach Carey alluded postgame. We didn't play down to their level and we delivered. This is a game I call "poetic justice", a victory of skill-ball over bully-ball. The sisters kept their feet on the pedal and won every single quarter. WVU has never allowed their opponents to score over 80 pts in a game and we did it. All the seniors were great especially Kristin (my player of the game). Ashley and the freshmen were up to the challenge and played their "supporting roles" perfectly. This night can't be perfect enough that it was filled with great performances (a true team win with 5 players scoring in double figures), unforgettable senior speeches, and broken records (Emily set a new season-high for a freshman in total assists, and the team set most free-throws made in a game without a miss in school history).

This has been an ultra-special senior day because of all the difficulties and obstacles the team has to deal with in the pandemic. I'm extremely proud of the team on this day.

My goose pumps from last year's senior day have returned. The early Jan. version of the team has returned. Although we have to wait for a whole week for our Big12 regular season finale, I'm going to rewatch this game multiple times and let the joy soak in.

Last edited:
Reactions: farm85

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Aren't some of those Covid reschedules? I guess I haven't looked but I would think that BU game is for sure.
Yes, our game was supposed to be the end of the regular season but they have three COVID make-ups and all three are on the road, which leads to four straight road games.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
I thought I was too sensitive but turn out you guys felt the same. I don’t understand the necessity of pressing in the last minute. BF apparently not too disturbed with it.

CBF simply called a time-out to advance the ball. Think there was under a minute left in the game.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
Skipped to the end will read the thread after my post. WHAT A GREAT SENIOR NIGHT!!!! The team played awesome a great win over a tough team. I liked having the parents/friends/relatives announce the seniors over the video screen at the game introductions. I understand not letting the parents down on the court for Sr. nite but I felt sad for them, I might have bent that rule, but I understand the decision.

On a personal note my Simpson Alum niece met me at the game tonite it was awesome to catch up with her. She was a music major so she really enjoyed getting to hear live music for the 1st time since the Covid started, plus she likes BB and we got to see a fun, entertaining game. It was a great evening overall.

Sorry (not) that this isn't a very analytical post, but sometimes you should just be happy (at least that's the way I look at it). It was a great night of ISU WBB.

Was a bit slow leaving Hilton last night, savoring the great win. CBF & the 3 seniors returned to the floor and individually met with their families & took photos at center court. It was emotional to me watching them hug their families. CBF got in the 1st photo with each Senior & then watched from the sidelines as they enjoyed celebrating privately with their families. Didn't stay too long as it felt like an invasion of their privacy. Anyway it was great way to end Senior Night for these special ladies. Forever True Cyclones!

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and cyclone13

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought #14 was overly aggressive & a whiner like her coaches. At halftime, she hobbled to the locker room with a trainer way behind her teammates. She also blatantly pulled (my opinion) Ashley to the floor on a shot attempt. The refs reviewed the play, but said it was a common foul. Definitely got her $ worth...#14 hobbled to the locker room after the play, but returned later. Meanwhile Ashley calmly picks herself up & hits her free throws.

I was wondering about the technical on WV's bench. I saw Coach Ballistic Bett exploding on the sideline after we made a basket & then saw a guy ref on the opposite (side & court) from WV's bench look back & give a T. Bett was yelling at the lady ref going by her. Tried to watch the replay, but it doesn't show the incident very well. There was a long break/commercial & Carey was having words with the guy official through most of it. Anyone have more info?

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I was wondering about the technical on WV's bench. I saw Coach Ballistic Bett exploding on the sideline after we made a basket & then saw a guy ref on the opposite (side & court) from WV's bench look back & give a T. Bett was yelling at the lady ref going by her. Tried to watch the replay, but it doesn't show the incident very well. There was a long break/commercial & Carey was having words with the guy official through most of it. Anyone have more info?

We were stumped as to what happened with that T as well. Didn't notice the assistant lose her ****, but we also had the west basket perfectly in the way of seeing that end of WVU's bench area.

I felt like the CBF time out to advance the ball was in direct response to Carey full-court pressing us in the final two minutes when the game was clearly out of hand from their perspective. I noted Bill glaring in the direction of WVU's bench when he called that time out, but can't be sure it was directed at Carey due to the angle we were at. But that's what it felt like to me, based on what I saw.

• Agree
Reactions: farm85

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Had a few reflective observations last night after seeing them again in person:
  1. This team hits the floor a lot. Is there is an All-American scoring leader who hits the ground more than Ashley Joens? Taking the hits on offense. Going for loose balls. Taking charges. Seriously, Ashley's "taking a charge"/"being called for a foul" ratio has to be near 0.
  2. Everyone looks the same when they shoot 3's. Point guards, shooting guards, forwards. All have the same setting of their feet, squaring up, and quick release.
  3. Our players keep their heads up. Even when they miss shots badly or make a dumb mistake, they come right back down court next time looking to make the same play successfully this time.
  4. We have great interior passing. If anyone is open underneath on a back door cut, after someone has their drive stopped, or after someone gets a rebound, you better be looking for the ball.
  5. We take creative, high percentage shots. How many times has Ashley been stopped, just to reverse pivot or reach around to take scoop shot? I'm amazed at the "easy" shots we get that come from situations where most players would simply make a pass.
  6. Our players don't whine to the refs. It was especially evident last night as there were no shortage of opportunities for us to gripe, but we were quite the contrast to Pest Virginia.
  7. We are built for a long run in the Big 12 tournament. Our players love to play up tempo, but we have no rotation players that will get worn down with back-to-back games. This gives us an advantage later in the tournament, particularly if other teams can't rest their bigger players.

CloneSt8

Aug 1, 2011
I remember a game, I believe it was against North Carolina State in which the Cyclones were up by about 25 and Bill put subs in with about 3 minutes left. NCS keep pressing and the subs turned the ball over and NCS made a mini run. Bill put the starters back in to finish the blowout. Afterwards he was pissed at the NCS staff for trying to embarrass his subs and said so..