WBB vs Iowa (Wed 12/8 6PM ESPNU)

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Since @StClone asked nicely for someone to start an ISU/Iowa game thread, here we are.
-----------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Official game preview: https://cyclones.com/news/2021/12/7/womens-basketball-iowa-state-hosts-iowa-in-top-15-matchup.aspx

Where: Hilton Coliseum - Ames Iowa
When: Wednesday, Dec. 8 at 6 p.m.
Projected Starting Lineup: Morgan Kane, Aubrey Joens, Ashley Joens, Emily Ryan, Lexi Donarski
Radio: Cyclone Radio Network/Learfield
Talent: Noah Wolf, Jamie Steyer Johnson
TV: ESPNU
Talent: Pam Ward, Stephanie White

The Lead
The 15th-ranked Iowa State women's basketball team hosts No. 12 Iowa on Wed., Dec. 8 at 6 p.m. on ESPNU. Wednesday's game marks the first time in series history where both teams are ranked in the top-15 for the annual Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk game. Iowa leads the all-time series 29-22.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
No game preview yet, but I'm sure we can expect the regular starting 5. (EDIT: game preview now posted above)

As @BoxsterCy mentioned in the general thread, we have two ranked teams (and not just barely ranked, either), two star players who are both Iowa natives, and two legendary coaches. There should be a fair amount of national attention on the game.

Last edited:

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Last year I thought we started the game with the intensity required in this rivalry. I know we lost, due to Clark being really good, but I hope we bring that same intensity tomorrow. With that intensity and the game in Hilton, I like our chances.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
No game preview yet, but I'm sure we can expect the regular starting 5.

As @BoxsterCy mentioned in the general thread, we have two ranked teams (and not just barely ranked, either), two star players who are both Iowa natives, and two legendary coaches. There should be a fair amount of national attention on the game.
WBB: Kyle Huesmann goes in-depth on Iowa ahead of Cy-Hawk game

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Who will get the assignment on Clark you think?

I think we will have Lexi on Clark.

Since at times we were toying with two bigs on the floor late in games, could we slap a big coming out to guard Clark at times, and another to post on Czinano then have a double team collapse down low with a guard.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
WBB: Kyle Huesmann goes in-depth on Iowa ahead of Cy-Hawk game
Not a bad write up other than making more out the Feuerbach transfer...more interesting there is how the fans accept her (or not). Post play is going to again be key, but this ISU team could bury the Hawks from behind the 3.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Not a bad write up other than making more out the Feuerbach transfer...more interesting there is how the fans accept her (or not).
I imagine there might be some initial booing, but I don't anticipate a strong reaction from the crowd. It's not like she trashed ISU on her way out. The only reason there would be a reaction at all is because she picked Iowa, but I think people liked her enough at ISU that the end reaction will be muted.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Not a bad write up other than making more out the Feuerbach transfer...more interesting there is how the fans accept her (or not). Post play is going to again be key, but this ISU team could bury the Hawks from behind the 3.

Fans at wbb are a different crowd than at a mbb game. I expect a small amount of boos but nothing more than that.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I watched the 2nd half of Iowa vs Michigan State at Iowa Sunday. Two point game at the half and than Iowa blew them out in the 3rd quarter 33-11. Clark had a triple double and had a number of TD throws for baskets that would have made Purdy proud to have thrown. I've caught glimpses of them in other games and this is probably the first game where they looked like the Iowa of last year. Clark is really struggling from three point range, only 25% for the year and 3 of 23 in her last two games. Striking because she shot 42% last year from all of the crazy long distances well beyond the arc so it isn't the new distance. She is averaging 10 assists a game over the last four games.

Losing their backup post Sharon Goodman for the season is a big blow IMHO. She really had some nice play in the few games I saw last year. Monika Czinano only played 25 minutes Sunday and fouled out although she did have 19 pts and 7 rb, good rebound numbers for someone I think of as a poor rebounder. Hawks definitely don't want her riding the pine in foul trouble. Other than Goodman being out this is the same team we played last year plus Feuerbach and their freshman center backup O'Grady.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
No game preview yet, but I'm sure we can expect the regular starting 5. (EDIT: game preview now posted above)

I'm happy they got their win Sunday and took Bruder's 800th win off the books. Her going for 800 in Hilton would have just added another level of crazy we didn't need for this battle.

• Agree
Reactions: GT25Ump

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Blunder will still have them ready to go.

True that. She does carry a five game winning streak against us coming into the game. She broke the long stalemate of them most of the time winning in IC and us most of the time winning in Ames. And she's got the edge in NCAA success recently.

I want to win, of course, but would really like to grab a Big 12 title and advance to the Sweet Sixteen again (or better). Beating Iowa would be coolski but doesn't advance the other goals, at least to me. We had one shared title and it's been forever ago now. Iowa has to deal with Maryland and we have to deal with Baylor seeming to sort of own that top spot.

Reactions: fcclone

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
True that. She does carry a five game winning streak against us coming into the game. She broke the long stalemate of them most of the time winning in IC and us most of the time winning in Ames. And she's got the edge in NCAA success recently.

I want to win, of course, but would really like to grab a Big 12 title and advance to the Sweet Sixteen again (or better). Beating Iowa would be coolski but doesn't advance the other goals, at least to me. We had one shared title and it's been forever ago now. Iowa has to deal with Maryland and we have to deal with Baylor seeming to sort of own that top spot.
Beating iowa would mostly likely help significantly in NCCA seeding

• Agree
Reactions: gizzsdad and NWICY

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
This game is always a chess match. Our weakness is the post. Theirs is foul trouble and not as many scorers. Key for ISU offensively is seeing our sophomores start to score again. We need a solid game from Donarski who has struggled of late. Joens and Ryan need to do their things as well. Defensively we need to get their post in foul trouble early. Someone needs to pester Clark. I’m thinking the former might come from charges. The later will be a group effort. Rebounding missed shots will be key.

Help Support Us

Become a patron