WBB: True fans

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Credit to all the Cyclone fans who keep supporting the WBB team -- through thick and thin, for better, for worse, in good times and bad, in injury and in health.

I caught part of the Iowa WBB game at home vs Ohio State last night. The box score says 3600+ fans. The photos don't show near that many.
http://www.hawkeyesports.com/view.gal?id=190221

If you take a quick browse, it looks much lighter. However, earlier in the season, when they were winning, I recall seeing many more fans at their games. Now they have had a stretch like us, losing a string of games and going under .500 in conference. Their fans quickly lose interest, even when playing a top 10 team like OSU.

Coach Fennelly and the players always thank the fans. This is a rare time in ISU WBB when fans are being tested.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
Credit to all the Cyclone fans who keep supporting the WBB team -- through thick and thin, for better, for worse, in good times and bad, in injury and in health.

I caught part of the Iowa WBB game at home vs Ohio State last night. The box score says 3600+ fans. The photos don't show near that many.
http://www.hawkeyesports.com/view.gal?id=190221

If you take a quick browse, it looks much lighter. However, earlier in the season, when they were winning, I recall seeing many more fans at their games. Now they have had a stretch like us, losing a string of games and going under .500 in conference. Their fans quickly lose interest, even when playing a top 10 team like OSU.

Coach Fennelly and the players always thank the fans. This is a rare time in ISU WBB when fans are being tested.

Thanks Cydney. I (we) needed that. Thank goodness our drama queens are on the MBB side of the house.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Attendence was kinda beat to death in another thread already but to be totally objective our butts in the seats are not near what our stated "attendance" is. Last two home games the stats say 11,261 and 11,249 and while those are "sold" there is nowhere near that many people in Hilton these days or for that matter the last couple of years. How good the team is matters even for a crazy loyal fan base like ours. I think the program and fans are both a little "tired" right now.

On the other hand 4000 - 5000 actually in the stands is way more than most Big 10 teams even claim as "sold". A few weeks back I saw the Gophers play at Illinois and there couldn't have been more than 300 - 400 people in the stands. Gophers scored 100 points last night beating NU in a metro area of over 3 million and attendance was called at 4000.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
This is what is so maddening: we have the best fans in the country, yet we fail to lure Blue-chippers to our program. Don't get me wrong, I love the players we bring in, but it would be nice to nab an elite recruit here-and-there because they want to play in front of big and appreciative crowds of people. It would be nice for our fan base to have a WBB team that can be a threat to make a deep run in the tourney on a regular basis.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
This is what is so maddening: we have the best fans in the country, yet we fail to lure Blue-chippers to our program. Don't get me wrong, I love the players we bring in, but it would be nice to nab an elite recruit here-and-there because they want to play in front of big and appreciative crowds of people. It would be nice for our fan base to have a WBB team that can be a threat to make a deep run in the tourney on a regular basis.

where do people get these ideas? The past few years have seen lots of top players come here. On this team alone you have Carlton, Seanna, TeeTee, Buckley, etc. All were the top players from their home state or country. There are more coming and there have been lots in the past. Do we get 1st team all-Americans? No. But only a handful of teams do and they stockpile them.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
where do people get these ideas? The past few years have seen lots of top players come here. On this team alone you have Carlton, Seanna, TeeTee, Buckley, etc. All were the top players from their home state or country. There are more coming and there have been lots in the past. Do we get 1st team all-Americans? No. But only a handful of teams do and they stockpile them.

Agreed.

We can attract high-quality players, and commits - but not the luxury of anything like a Breanna Stewart-type, few do. Beyond the competition, recently our fight really comes against injuries, defections and just plain bad luck.

Our fans are some of the best. They are there through thick and, hopefully, a stretch of thin.

It does not hurt to question how thin things need to go before we question the worth. Maybe the reasonable fan's and a true fanatic's separation point is somewhere in that area. But in the end all want to win; and, when the wins are few being a fanatic for fanatic's sake is all that will remain.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
4-5000 butts in the seats are more than most any team in the country. It's amazing.

More fun to watch with some actual fans in the stands even if viewing on TV. Watching Iowa/Gophers right now. "Pink" game with a big crowd and very LOUD at the Barn. Not like some Big 10 games where you can hear the shoes squeak and ball bounce on TV! Good rivalry game but they only play once this year

BTW, the posts for Minnesota should never ever get touches on offense. They are brutal.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
sportscenter led of with highlight from IA Minny wbb game. Minnesota gets the win at the buzzer. Suck it Bluder and Company!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
sportscenter led of with highlight from IA Minny wbb game. Minnesota gets the win at the buzzer. Suck it Bluder and Company!

Maybe the best WBB I have watched this year from a pure entertainment perspective. The 2nd half was some great basketball on both sides. I thought Gophers were running out of time but Banham got it off with .6 seconds left.

Funny quote on the Gopher board from their WBB gameday thread guy when discussing players from their last gaem with Iowa last year: "The oft whiney Disterhoft remains." That made me laugh cause we all had the same comment here when we played Iowa.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
More fun to watch with some actual fans in the stands even if viewing on TV. Watching Iowa/Gophers right now. "Pink" game with a big crowd and very LOUD at the Barn. Not like some Big 10 games where you can hear the shoes squeak and ball bounce on TV! Good rivalry game but they only play once this year

BTW, the posts for Minnesota should never ever get touches on offense. They are brutal.
Their coach basically said Bre would start, plus heard they are getting two more transfers.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Did you notice Bre sitting at the end of the bench and again on the floor in the celebration after the win.

I didn't think to look for that. :sad:

Kinda wish I had gone over for the game. Used to go over for Gopher/Hawk games, both MBB and WBB, but the Barn has been dead for a while. When ISU last played there our few hundred fans made more noise then the Gopher fans. We drowned out their cheerleaders trying to do their MINN-E-SOTA cheer. Pretty funny at the time but last night the place sounded alive again, really loud. Maybe it was the Pink night, Hawkeye hate or Banham mania.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I have been really bad this year. I am living in Urbandale this year instead of Ames and haven't gone to many games this year. I don't want to sit around after class for three hours to watch a 2 hour game when I'm already doing that for the men. I also have really lost interest because the men have been better and I have just gotten sick and tired of there being like 5 teams that even have a chance at winning a title. If women's basketball wants to improve they need to figure out how to spread out the talent better.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron