WBB: No. 24 Cyclones Take On Longhorns Saturday 5:00 p.m. ESPN2

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
From Cyclones.com -

Linky to full article: https://cyclones.com/news/2021/1/22/womens-basketball-no-24-cyclones-take-on-longhorns-saturday.aspx

image_handler.aspx

Where: Hilton Coliseum- Ames, Iowa
When: Saturday, Jan. 23 at 5 PM
Projected Starting Lineup: Kristin Scott, Ashley Joens, Kylie Feuerbach, Emily Ryan, Lexi Donarski
Radio: Cyclone Radio Network/Learfield
Talent: Noah Wolf, Molly Parrott
TV: ESPN2
Talent: Chuckie Kempf, Brenda VanLengen

The Lead
No. 24 Iowa State returns to Hilton Coliseum to take on Texas on Saturday, Jan. 23 at 5 p.m. on ESPN2. The Cyclones are looking to improve to 7-1 in Big 12 action. Head coach Bill Fennelly is looking for his 700th career win, sitting at 699. Iowa State dropped its meeting against the Longhorns in Austin, 74-59, its lone Big 12 loss so far this season.

Key Storylines
  • Junior Ashley Joens is fourth in the nation in scoring, averaging 25.1 points a game. Joens earned multiple National Player of the Week nods after scoring a combined 57 points and grabbing 27 boards in wins over OSU and at Baylor.
  • Joens is the only player in the nation averaging 25+ points and 9+ rebounds per game. She has four career 30-point, 15-rebound performances. All other former Cyclones combine for three all-time.
  • Iowa State returned to the national rankings at No. 24 in the AP Poll after going 2-0 last week, defeating Oklahoma State and winning at No. 6 Baylor.
  • Iowa State leads the Big 12 in scoring offense in conference games. The Cyclones have scored a Big 12 leading 81.3 points a game through seven games in league play, nearly six points higher than Baylor in second, 75.6 PPG.
  • Iowa State women's basketball is ranked 24th in the NET rankings. Iowa State has played 14 games this season, which is among the top-20 in nation for games played. Of ISU's 14 games, seven have been on the road, and only one team in top-48 of the NET has played more road games than ISU. The Cyclones' 10 wins also ranks in the top-15 nationally.
  • Iowa State is 6-1 in Big 12 action, marking its best start in conference play since the 2004-05 season.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
From Texassports.com -

Ortiz_Karisma_Texas_wbb_TCU0353.jpg

• SETTING THE STAGE: Texas hits the road for a matchup at No. 24 Iowa State, the return visit from the schools' meeting in Austin in December. The Longhorns were victorious, 74-59, in the first meeting at the Frank Erwin Center. Tip-off on Saturday night is set for 5 p.m. CT on ESPN2.

• SERIES HISTORY: Iowa State leads the all-time series between the two teams, 21-20, but Texas was victorious the last time the two met in December. The Longhorns are 9-14 against the Cyclones when the two teams square off outside of Austin.

• TURNING THEM OVER: Texas' pressure defense has made an impression on the national and Big 12 stats rankings this year. UT forced a season-high 35 turnovers in a win over SMU on Nov. 25, and created 34 turnovers in its Big 12 opener at Kansas State on Dec. 21. As a result, the Longhorns rank 14th nationally in turnovers forced per game (21.85) and eighth in turnover margin (+7.4). Both of those are also the best marks by a Big 12 program this season.

• CREATING OFFENSE FROM DEFENSE: Texas is utilizing its defense to create offense this season, as the Longhorns has scored at least 20 points off turnovers in nine of 13 games this season. The Longhorns posted a season-high 39 points off turnovers in the season opener versus SMU, and hit the 30-point mark in three-straight outings against Drake (33 points), at Kansas State (38 points) and against Lamar (32 points).

• CHASING CHARLI: Preseason National Player of the Year candidate Charli Collier has put up All-America numbers this season, averaging 21.5 points and 11.4 rebounds per game. Collier is currently tied for the NCAA lead in double-doubles (9), ranks second in free throws made (91), third in offensive rebounds per game (5.1), fifth in total rebounds (148), 10th in final points (280), 1th in rebounds per game (11.4), 18th in field goals made (92) and 19th in points per game (21.5).

RELATED NEWS

Reactions: VeloClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Per @NWICY in the general WBB hoops thread "Gaston and Warren are out for Tx tomorrow. Gaston for the season some type of foot/shin surgery, Warren for concussion protocol, but not a full concussion according to Surly Horns."

That would mean that only six of the players that took the court for Texas in Austin against us will be available. Not as short rostered as the Sooners were, they have a bigger roster than the Sooners, but they will be in impacted. Gaston had a really good game against us and looked pretty good for a 6-3 freshman. Had a couple of big blocks.

Charli Collier is averaging a double-double but in their two Big 12 loses she had really bad games. Only 5 points and fouled out against WVU. If she gets in foul trouble early I think Texas is toast. For them to win tonight she needs 20 and 10, at least. She had a boatload of rebounds against us but did not handle our double teaming that well especially in the first half. She's got a load of talent but she not the most patient player IMHO. Will be interesting to see how they defend tonight. That's their bread and butter but with a short roster and Joens drawing a hundred fouls a game they need to avoid foul trouble.

For us, I am guessing the team is sick of watching the Texas/WVU tape and how the Mountain Mamas stopped Collier from being a factor at all in that game. . ;) We want a replay of that one.

I think Bill gets his 700 pretty easily.

BTW, the over/under for charging fouls drawn by Joens is 2 on the Boxster Betting Board.

Last edited:

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
TX was looking like the 2nd best team in the conference for a while but suddenly they started going on the road and they have not fared so well. Looked pretty sloppy at KST. Got demolished at WV. And then of all things lost to TT. That one was a head scratcher. I'd say the way the stars are lining up here the Clones will take this one unless they play like they did against OU.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Decent tickets are still available. If you look for "2 tickets," you get high rows in the corner. But if you look for "4 tickets," you can get mid-level mid-court or lower in the corners. I just bought 4 in Section 206 Row 6. Now to find three more people to go with me.

Reactions: NWICY and Buster28

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
My pregame thoughts

1) The hangover is OVER.

Remember the Horns players still pressed our players until the final seconds of the last game even the outcome of the game has already been decided with minutes left. Not this game, not on our court.

It’s PAYBACK time.

2) The team must bring their A-game. Stay poised, be aggressive, control the tempo, and limit the turnovers. Make the free throws. REBOUND, REBOUND, REBOUND!!!

3) It’d be ideal if we got a fast start and play ahead of Texas. Coach Fen, please call a timely timeout and draw a good play to avoid any long scoring drought.

4) Defensive-wise, focus on Collier but don’t give others too many easy practice shots like the last time. I hope Coach Fen can implement a more aggressive defensive scheme this time to break Texas’ offensive rhythm.

5) Ashley might get heavily guarded so 2-3 other players must step up big time. Calling out Lexi, Emily and the seniors. Passing and sharing the ball is the best way to beat Texas’ press defense. Balance scoring will win this game more likely than Ashley going Wonder Woman again.

6) Pray that we get a good officiating crew and the refs don’t swallow their whistles to allow Texas players to get away with fouls.

7) Students are back. I hope Hilton can get a little bit rowdier. The sisters can sure use some Magic.

8) If we won this game, it would be Coach Fen’s 700th win, which is an amazing accomplishment. I hope it will give the sisters extra motivation. If we won by a large margin, there’s a chance we could enter the AP top 20 ranking next week.

ISU Points Over/Under: 75

Game Total Points Over/Under: 140

ISU Three Pointers Made Over/Under: 8.5

Purdy Inbound Play Over/Under: 0.5

P.S. So far four ISU games have been nationally televised on either ESPN2 or ESPNU. I watched the South Carolina and first Texas games live and they lost. I didn’t watch the Tech and Baylor games live and they won. So you can bet your house that I will NOT watch this game live. Let’s go Twister Sisters!

Reactions: BenEClone

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
--I wish we could inbound the ball.....seriously.
--Wise should shoot all the time when Ashley Joens is out. Like crazy. I won't complain if it is a bad percentage.

Reactions: NWICY and Ms3r4ISU

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Of course Kristin can’t move when her shirt’s being held.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
The end of the pandemic will hopefully result in there being no games where the Hilton crowd does not drown out the hideous wailing of the Texas bench banshees.

Reactions: Cycsk

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
The end of the pandemic will hopefully result in there being no games where the Hilton crowd does not drown out the hideous wailing of the Texas bench banshees.
That “D up” chant? We say it’s the jr. high team cheer.

Reactions: Cycsk

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Man, you could see that third foul coming when she got it tipped away. She is usually more under control than that. She had zero chance to get that back after she lost it.