WBB: Miscellaneous Thread for 2020-21 Season

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
I thought this is an interesting stat you fanatics would like to know.

As you guys have already heard, both Baylor men's and women's basketball teams have locked up as this season's Big12 regular season champions. Rarely have we seen the same school sweep the basketball regular season championship in the same season in Big12. The last time a school did it, it's yours truly

IOWA STATE CYCLONES in 1999-2000 season

The other school that accomplished it was Kansas in 1996-1997 (Big12's inaugural season).

Last edited:

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
OU just lost to TCU at home, 79-83. There goes their NCAA tourney chance. I hope they get to keep Coach Coale though.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I thought this is an interesting stat you fanatics would like to know.

As you guys have already heard, both Baylor men's and women's basketball teams have locked up as this season's Big12 regular season champions. Rarely have we seen the same school sweep the basketball regular season championship in the same season in Big12. The last time a school did it, it's yours truly

IOWA STATE CYCLONES in 1999-2000 season

The other school that accomplished it was Kansas in 1996-1997 (Big12's inaugural season).

ISU is still the only one to do the double-double in the same year: MBB regular season, WBB regular season, MBB tournament, WBB tournament.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
ISU is still the only one to do the double-double in the same year: MBB regular season, WBB regular season, MBB tournament, WBB tournament.
Screen%2BShot%2B2015-10-25%2Bat%2B7.02.08%2BPM.png

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Title Town for the Cyclones is now decades ago. Glad I went to the game in 2000 in Waco when the guys clinched it. We hadn't even sniffed a Big 8 or 12 title before that and I knew it was a BIG deal. Since 2001 neither squad has really seriously challenged. Kinda doubting the guys ever will again, at least in my lifetime. The gals maybe have a shooters chance someday but it's seems like a long shot as long a Mulkey is around and coaching championship defense.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Three ranked teams got upset today.

1. In the 2nd round of the SEC tournament, #13 Arkansas got bounced by Ole Miss 69-60.

2. In the quarter-final of the Pac12 tournament, #19 Oregon was eliminated by in-state rival Oregon State 71-64.

3. In the AAC regular season finale, UCF beat #15 USF 58-45. Both teams are certainly glad UConn left their conference.

Also, in a BigTen heavyweight matchup, the #8 Fighting Brendas blew out the #12 Wolverines on the road 88-63.

Congrats to Coach Frese for another regular season title.

Reactions: Buster28

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Title Town for the Cyclones is now decades ago. Glad I went to the game in 2000 in Waco when the guys clinched it. We hadn't even sniffed a Big 8 or 12 title before that and I knew it was a BIG deal. Since 2001 neither squad has really seriously challenged. Kinda doubting the guys ever will again, at least in my lifetime. The gals maybe have a shooters chance someday but it's seems like a long shot as long a Mulkey is around and coaching championship defense.

really? You’re being a bit dramatic here or just having a bad day. The men def competed for titles...and won the tournament under Floyd shortly before this. Floyd set the stage for what happened in 99-2000. And never again? Come on...

And the women...hard to compare to Baylor when you aren't expected to play by the same rules. As long as they remain a private non-reporting school they will have a big advantage.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Some details on the WNIT were released yesterday. Hopefully it doesn't come to this, but we are trending toward being on the outside looking in with the NCAA Tournament.

Of note:
  • 32 teams split into four sites of eight teams each (played March 18-24)
  • Consolation bracket gives each team a minimum of two games
  • Teams placed geographically to limit travel
  • No .500 record required
  • Four regional champs advance to a single-site "final four"
I think this all makes a lot of sense. I can see a lot of teams opting out, but it's also a chance for a team with a significantly shortened season to get a couple games back. For a team like ISU (if we don't make the NCAA tournament) it's a nice opportunity for a freshman-heavy team to get tournament experience.
We did finish the regular season strong so the WNIT is fortunately no longer in the picture, but I just noticed they announced the four regional locations about a week ago. Had we been in the WNIT, we likely would have been in Rockford. That would have been a nice location -- it's only about an hour farther from Ames than the Twin Cities or Kansas City.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
And the women...hard to compare to Baylor when you aren't expected to play by the same rules. As long as they remain a private non-reporting school they will have a big advantage.
Whoa - please back up this statement with some facts. Have no idea what you're claiming. I do know you dislike Mulkey for some reason.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Whoa - please back up this statement with some facts. Have no idea what you're claiming. I do know you dislike Mulkey for some reason.

As a private university Baylor is not required to report information about their programs in the same way public institutions are.Anyone can make a records request from Iowa State and as a public university they have to comply. Not so the privates. They are able to hide information behind the “we are private” shield. So, no I do not have anything against Mulkey other than I’m not a fan of her coaching style.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Another snub and I found myself scratching my head. :( Ashley is not on the Wooden Award final 15-player ballot while three Big12 players (Charlie Collier, Natasha Mack, NaLyssa Smith) made it. Neither is Clark (TOE expresses their unhappiness on Twitter).

Last edited:

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Only one game for Big12 WBB today. Baylor won at KU by 26 pts (93-67). Since we beat KU by 30 pts, it means we are better than Baylor. ;)

Last edited:

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
B1G WBB Tournement bracket is set. Note that there are only 13 teams participating because Ohio State is serving a self-imposed postseason ban as a result of recruiting violations by a former assistant coach.

Hey BoxsterCy, since you follow B1G WBB closely, your tournament preview especially of your beloved Gophers is appreciated.

Rooting for Coach Frese's team to cut down the nets.

2021%20B1G%20WBB%20Tournament%20Bracket_FINAL_Website.jpg

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Two Big12 games on deck on Sunday.

In the first game, Texas lead TCU by as many as 20 pts in the third quarter, TCU fought back in the 4th and got close to 5 pts but fell short at the end, 69-60.

In the second game, after a very close-contested 3.5 quarters, OU turned it on in the final minutes to finish KSU off at home, 90-81. OU finishes the Big12 regular season with a .500 record (Is Sherri Coale's job secured?). KSU is dead last (Is Jeff Mittie on the hot seat?).

Last edited:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
As a private university Baylor is not required to report information about their programs in the same way public institutions are.Anyone can make a records request from Iowa State and as a public university they have to comply. Not so the privates. They are able to hide information behind the “we are private” shield. So, no I do not have anything against Mulkey other than I’m not a fan of her coaching style.
This is just not true. Private schools like Baylor, USC, Notre Dame, Vandy, NW, Boston College, Duke, etc. have to report all relevant information to the NCAA, and are subject to the same rules and oversight of the NCAA - that all public schools do. Baylor can't "hide" anything from the NCAA that ISU or others have to provide.
Being "private" gives them absolutely no competitive advantage at all.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron