WBB: Miscellaneous Thread for 2020-21 Season

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Well, that sucks. Hope this is just an abundance of caution and not a start of a bunch of postponements for either team. Michigan has had a bunch of game canceled because of Covid and has been trying to build their resume less six games. They are a good team. Been hanging around just outside the top 10 the last few polls. And, rivalry aside, I haven't hated watching the Hawks the last few years. I'll watch em some when they have a Gustafson or Clark.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Speaking of Hawks. A couple years ago the Hawkeyes and the Cyclones both had their conference POY. Never happened before in the same year, or any year prior for us. This year we are probably looking at both schools having Freshman of the Year in their conferences. Not happened before either.

Might have another shot at a double POY thing in 2021-22 with Joens and Clark. Maybe call it a triple for the state of Iowa since both are home state gals at Iowa universities.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Some peeps on Hawk forum are saying it is maybe a ref tested positive. So maybe looking for a sub.
That makes more sense than what I was thinking - someone on building staff. BTW I’m watching their MBB go down to Michigan on ESPN. Fun times.

Reactions: NWICY and farm85

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We bumped up some spots on NCAA NET after win over WVU. Texas and OSU did not move, neither did WVU at #23. Here's the 7/8 seeds if you go by NET. Iowa will likely move up a spot or two after beating #12.

Cowgirls match their poll and NET, both at #26.

1614313573499.png

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Iowa blitzing #12 Michigan in IC by 30 in the 4th. Didn't see that coming, at least not that kinda margin.
The squawks made another 16 three pointers last night against Michigan (after hitting 17 against Maryland). Michigan sank just 4 of 19. Iowa shot just under 60% for the game, while UM was at 35.6%. Iowa was 9-11 from the line, while Michigan was 21-25. Big advantage in scoring single points isn't going to cancel out a big advantage in scoring triples. Sad to see Iowa have such a good game. Imagine the hot garbage that program would be this year without Clark to stuff the stats and steal some wins from the jaws of defeat. Final score of this one was 89-67 after Iowa led 81-47 early in the 4th.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Charlie Creme's updated bracketology: https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/30423107/women-bracketology-brackets-all-shapes-sizes

ISU at #8 (as is Iowa).

Baylor 3
West Virginia 4
Texas 7
OSU 9

OU is in "Next Four Out".

Not sure what his (or more likely, whoever does these with his name attached) problem is with OSU. He had them at a 10 before. I was in the "prove it" camp a month ago as they racked up wins early over the lower tier but they have proved it. They are just outside the AP 25 leading the ORV and have the same #26 in NET which should make them a solid 7 or 8 at the worse if you are not influenced by some sort of bias. It's like they are burdened with their low pre-season expectations and some people can't admit they are not a fluke. Their record pretty much mirrors ours accept they swept the bottom five to go 10-0 and will end up a game up on us.

Last edited:

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Not sure what his problem is with OSU. He had them at a 10 before. I was in the "prove it" camp a month ago as they racked up wins early over the lower tier but they have proved it. They are just outside the AP 25 leading the ORV and have the same #26 in NET which should make them a solid 7 or 8 at the worse if you are not influenced by some sort of bias. It's like they are burdened with their low pre-season expectations and some people can't admit they are not a fluke. Their record pretty much mirrors ours accept they swept the bottom five to go 10-0 and will end up a game up on us.

The quality of their non-conference schedule has to be holding them back in his eyes. Only played North Texas on the road.

Oral Roberts - NET 260
Southern - NET 211
SMU - NET 252
Tulsa - NET 159
North Texas - NET 123

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The quality of their non-conference schedule has to be holding them back in his eyes. Only played North Texas on the road.

Oral Roberts - NET 260
Southern - NET 211
SMU - NET 252
Tulsa - NET 159
North Texas - NET 123

Maybe, but it shouldn't because NET scores include that. That would explain a low composite NET early in the season. It's like they take a composite score and than cherry pick individual components of the weighted composite score to get the result they want.

Glad ISU took my ACT on average and they didn't have a Creme in admissions to cherry pick my low math score. ;)

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Maybe, but it shouldn't because NET scores include that. That would explain a low composite NET early in the season. It's like they take a composite score and than cherry pick individual components of the weighted composite score to get the result they want.

Glad ISU took my ACT on average and they didn't have a Creme in admissions to cherry pick my low math score. ;)

Just comparing - OSU has a non-conference SOS of 232 - I agree with you that it is in the NET, however it appears maybe it is broken out, and that is an issue for OSU.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
By my eye test, right now WVU should be a 5 seed, OSU a 7, Texas an 8 or 9 seed.

Buster28, do you want to see a CyHawk rematch in the NCAA tournament so we can destroy them?

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
By my eye test, right now WVU should be a 5 seed, OSU a 7, Texas an 8 or 9 seed.

Buster28, do you want to see a CyHawk rematch in the NCAA tournament so we can destroy them?
While I would LOVE the opportunity to destroy Iowa (we owe them for a string of five consecutive losses), the less I have to see of their coach, their team, or their fans, the better. I will happily watch someone else destroy them. I was glued to the tv with total elation when they (sadly) ran to the Elite and got crushed by Baylor. While I'm not a Mulkey fan by any stretch, that was a VERY happy evening for me.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
While I would LOVE the opportunity to destroy Iowa (we owe them for a string of five consecutive losses), the less I have to see of their coach, their team, or their fans, the better. I will happily watch someone else destroy them. I was glued to the tv with total elation when they (sadly) ran to the Elite and got crushed by Baylor. While I'm not a Mulkey fan by any stretch, that was a VERY happy evening for me.

They try not to set up any rematches till Sweet Sixteen, it's one of their guidelines.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Covid contingency plan for replacing teams:

If there are COVID-19 issues with a qualifying school leading to the NCAA tournament selection, conferences will get to designate a replacement team and it will be seeded in the bracket based upon its body of work.
Single-bid conferences likewise can choose their replacement provided the team has gone seven days without a positive test.

Once play starts it's a forfeit after the opening round if you cannot play. The first four out are on "standby" before the first games.

http://e.startribune.com/Olive/ODN/...21/02/26&entity=Ar01900&sk=C0F90376&mode=text

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron