WBB: Miscellaneous Thread for 2020-21 Season

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Watching #15 Arkansas vs #4 South Carolina on ESPN2. A South Carolina win here drops Arkansas to 2-4 in league and adds a 5th loss. Only a couple of other 4 loss teams other than ISU in the rankings. If the Hogs lose, and looks likely going into the 4th, it's a team we can move up on in polls if we hold serve this week at Hilton.

Edit: South Carolina won. Aliyah Boston had 26 points, 16 rebounds and 6 blocks. She 15 boards against us. Hadn't counted when looking at polls earlier but ESPN team was noting that SEVEN SEC teams are ranked. :oops:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Final bored Monday ranking musing. If things play out like I think they likely will, we might not play another ranked team other than Baylor till a potential 2nd round NCAA game. No other Big 12 team is ranked and if we are a 4/5/6 seed in March we won't open against a ranked opponent.

• Informative

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Iowa dropped their last 2 before winning today.

Big 10 is tough this year, again. Eight teams with a NET under #40. My poor Gophers are just getting pummeled this season. Dropped my BTN+ after one month. Did get me the ISU/Iowa tilt but Gophers are not watchable right now so dropped it.

Michigan #11/Michigan State and Rutgers/Indiana #16 postponed today.

SMP05

Oct 10, 2015
Chrislyn Carr (transfer from Texas Tech and 2019 Big 12 Freshman of the Year) has just been welcomed by Baylor.

• Informative

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Chrislyn Carr (transfer from Texas Tech and 2019 Big 12 Freshman of the Year) has just been welcomed by Baylor.

Guessing she's enrolled and can at least practice this semester. Not a lot of transfers at the winter semester but it does happen. Fernstrom to Gophers in 2016 but that wasn't a top tier player by any means. Wonder if she will be eligible next year beginning of season or not till 2nd semester (one year sit).

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Guessing she's enrolled and can at least practice this semester. Not a lot of transfers at the winter semester but it does happen. Fernstrom to Gophers in 2016 but that wasn't a top tier player by any means. Wonder if she will be eligible next year beginning of season or not till 2nd semester (one year sit).

Wouldn't she be eligible now using the Covid Rule? I'm asking I don't know for sure.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Wouldn't she be eligible now using the Covid Rule? I'm asking I don't know for sure.

Certainly can't play for two different schools in the same season. Not even sure she would qualify for that even if she hadn't played, think being on a roster period would disqualify her.

If that was allowed we should have gotten Mack at the break and set up a Final Four run. ;)

• Informative

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Here's back-to-back interviews of Ashley Joens and Caitlin Clark on Debbie Antonelli's Nothing But Net" podcasts. Give a listen in your free time.

https://open.spotify.com/show/7zvBgsjpsx4spxkhYuLSvj

The Ashley one is nothing special as she has said pretty much what we expected her to say, with her being very humble. The Caitlin Clark one is more enjoyable. She attributes her early success as being very confident about herself (the "never stop shooting until your arms fall off" mentality) and Iowa's free-flowing offense and Bluder's trust in her. She said she likes playing close games and doesn't like blowouts, which is why you see so many Iowa comeback games this season. I sense that Iowa was not her first choice when she made the final decision. I really wish she could have committed to us but unfortunately ISU has had enough good guards. But why didn't she choose Notre Dame over Iowa? Look at how pedestrian Notre Dame is now. Does any insider know more about it? Anyway, I'm very impressed by her performance so far and wish her to have a successful college career.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Here's back-to-back interviews of Ashley Joens and Caitlin Clark on Debbie Antonelli's Nothing But Net" podcasts. Give a listen in your free time.

https://open.spotify.com/show/7zvBgsjpsx4spxkhYuLSvj

The Ashley one is nothing special as she has said pretty much what we expected her to say, with her being very humble. The Caitlin Clark one is more enjoyable. She attributes her early success as being very confident about herself (the "never stop shooting until your arms fall off" mentality) and Iowa's free-flowing offense and Bluder's trust in her. She said she likes playing close games and doesn't like blowouts, which is why you see so many Iowa comeback games this season. I sense that Iowa was not her first choice when she made the final decision. I really wish she could have committed to us but unfortunately ISU has had enough good guards. But why didn't she choose Notre Dame over Iowa? Look at how pedestrian Notre Dame is now. Does any insider know more about it? Anyway, I'm very impressed by her performance so far and wish her to have a successful college career.

Iowa was not her first choice, the word on the street was when she went to call Notre Dame to commit, Muffet pulled her offer. Don't know if it is true or not, but it the talk amongst the high school kids last winter. Once they pulled, she committed to Iowa.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Iowa was not her first choice, the word on the street was when she went to call Notre Dame to commit, Muffet pulled her offer. Don't know if it is true or not, but it the talk amongst the high school kids last winter. Once they pulled, she committed to Iowa.

I thought she would go to ND and was a little surprised it came down to Iowa/ISU but maybe she just wanted to play in state. I don't think there is anyway her ND offer was pulled. Why in the world would they do that? ND had already struck out for Paige Bueckers. Glad she didn't, I have never liked ND or McGraw and never will. Was a weird one at the end for us being in the final two for a top five guard after already getting commits from another hundred good guards. :rolleyes:

Watched a little Gophers vs Nebraska this afternoon and ticker showed she had won Freshman of the Week (for the seventh time). BTW, Gophers actually won a game. And on the road to boot.

• Informative

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I don't think there is anyway her ND offer was pulled. Why in the world would they do that? ND had already struck out for Paige Bueckers.
It was clear to everyone how talented Clark was. There's no reason for ND to pull the offer even if they DID get Bueckers. Literally the only reason to pull an offer would be if you ran out of scholarships to give.

Not saying ND didn't pull the offer. Just noting how ridiculous it was if they did.

• Agree
Reactions: Buster28

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
It was clear to everyone how talented Clark was. There's no reason for ND to pull the offer even if they DID get Bueckers. Literally the only reason to pull an offer would be if you ran out of scholarships to give.

Not saying ND didn't pull the offer. Just noting how ridiculous it was if they did.
The word was they pulled it because she wouldn't commit.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
The word was they pulled it because she wouldn't commit.
Unless they needed that scholarship opened up to offer someone else, I'm not sure why they'd do that. Unless they were recruiting someone else that didn't want to be on the same team as her. They did pick up a highly-rated PG not long before Clark committed to Iowa iirc -- maybe she wouldn't commit while Clark was still a possibility, or maybe ND didn't have roster room for both.