WBB: Miscellaneous Thread for 2020-21 Season

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
A "normal" freshman would struggle to make a difference coming in at semester. Is Izzi a normal freshman? We don’t know. Her contributions will depend on her condition, the type of competition she's played against, etc. I agree she won’t impact things early on, but if the stars align correctly she might have an impact starting at the halfway point of the conference season.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
... but if the stars align correctly she might have an impact starting at the halfway point of the conference season.
I'm not sure what the rules are, but if she has to wait for the start of the spring semester to join the team (Jan 25) the conference season would practically be half over already. Although given COVID cancelations, we really have no idea how many conference games there will be.

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
West Virginia took it to Texas - ouch.

Also - Iowa lost at Northwestern.

Nice to see someone finally figured out how to take Clark out of a game. Northwestern held her to 8 points on 3-12 shooting. I love to see Iowa lose. Just love it.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Nice to see someone finally figured out how to take Clark out of a game. Northwestern held her to 8 points on 3-12 shooting. I love to see Iowa lose. Just love it.
I am with you but like to see Iowa High School players have success, just wish it was with someone other than Iowa.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

I watched most of this game. Iowa is like ISU in a lot of ways. They like a free ranging quicker game, not the style that good defensive teams play. NW is a good defensive team. Something had to give, Iowa's scoring (they were averaging 90-something before this game) or NW defense (only allowing 60 points/game) Iowa has had a tendency to fall behind in games and than score their way back to win them, Down 16 to a really bad defensive team like the Gophers and stormed back. Down to a average defensive team, our Cyclones, and were able to pull it out. Iowa also bricked threes after shooting 40% before this and leading the league in threes made. Credit NW D for some or most of the poor shooting for sure.

Next up on my Big 10 watch is Maryland coming to town to rout my home town Gophers. :( Brenda's turtles are leading the league in scoring and the Gophers are abysmal on defense. Never a happy time for Gophers fans and the what if scenarios when Brenda comes back to the barn. When Iowa and Maryland play I hope to be able to watch, might be one of those 98-95 sort of games.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Well, NW plays a very aggressive match-up zone defense, pressures everywhere, and forces an average of 19 turnovers a game. Maybe seen as "thug ball" by some on this board. They just handed Maryland their worst loss since joining the Big Ten.
Not exactly the defense ISU employs.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
And, at the top of the pile.

...... No. 3 UConn overcame a sluggish start to rout Providence 87-50 on Saturday in Storrs, Conn.​
It was the 1,098th victory for coach Geno Auriemma, tying Pat Summitt for the second-most wins in Division I women’s basketball history behind Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer (1,104). (Associated Press)​

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Well, NW plays a very aggressive match-up zone defense, pressures everywhere, and forces an average of 19 turnovers a game. Maybe seen as "thug ball" by some on this board. They just handed Maryland their worst loss since joining the Big Ten.
Not exactly the defense ISU employs.

They haven't played Maryland this year.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
STILL more schedule adjustments in the Big 12.

This time, Baylor doesn't meet the roster threshold.

Yikes. That's not encouraging. Nine Big 12 games on the docket for this week and five have been postponed. :oops:

Guessing ISU/Baylor on Saturday is a TBD.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm not sure what the rules are, but if she has to wait for the start of the spring semester to join the team (Jan 25) the conference season would practically be half over already. Although given COVID cancelations, we really have no idea how many conference games there will be.
Typically they can start the day after the last semester finished, which was thanksgiving, but with the winter section and Covid, who knows what the rules are this year.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Typically they can start the day after the last semester finished, which was thanksgiving, but with the winter section and Covid, who knows what the rules are this year.
Winter session ends Thursday, January 21, so if that's a factor then she can perhaps join the team January 22.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Kansas State below the threshold. This will be their 5th postponement in conference play.

• Sad
Reactions: Buster28

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
18 conference games have been played so far, and 11 postponed.

Postponements:
5 - KSU
4 - KU
3 - OU
2 - BU, OSU, TCU, WVU
1 - ISU, UT
0 - TTU

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA

Postponements:
5 - KSU
4 - KU
3 - OU
2 - BU, OSU, TCU, WVU
1 - ISU, UT
0 - TTU

Has OSU had other games rescheduled to take the place of postponements - I see they are 5-0 in the conference and have played the most games.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Has OSU had other games rescheduled to take the place of postponements - I see they are 5-0 in the conference and have played the most games.

Everyone should have played 5-6 games by now. The OSU/TCU game scheduled for February has already been played. It got moved up due to other postponements that created a hole in the schedule for both teams.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Postponements:
5 - KSU
4 - KU
3 - OU
2 - BU, OSU, TCU, WVU
1 - ISU, UT
0 - TTU

Who continues to do well in "the bubble"? ISU!!! I know there is some luck involved but our Athletic Dept has handled Covid as well as anyone IMO. I'm sort of surprised the MBB team hasn't had a outbreak as undisciplined as they are on the court.

Reactions: gizzsdad

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Going to be a an interesting and big game Wednesday. Player of the Week team versus Freshman of the Week team.

Hope Scott is okay and not out with concussion protocol or something. Mack is going to be a handful in the paint. I am not so sure that V. Gray transferring was not addition by subtraction for the Cowgirls Seems she is happier losing every night in Lubbock rather than winning more in Stillwater.