WBB: Miscellaneous Thread for 2020-21 Season

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
As for Mulkey, also think of these things:
1. she is getting close to retirement
2. 2nd grandchild is coming (her daughter is a coach for her but what about SIL).
3. Where are her parents? Are they in Louisiana?
4. Is it about money or the challenge?
5. She likes winning, this would not be great for the ego.

According to the LSU message board (definitely not "official"), her mother lives either with her or nearby in Texas. I will post a link to the board. This pretty much sums it up....."Does anybody see the irony that this thread has more activity than any women's basketball game thread in the last 15 years"?

Last edited:

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
The LSU board has really had a heyday for a few days over this. Today quite a few are starting to have their doubts.

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I also have my doubts she leaves. Why leave a top tier program to try to rebuild one even if it is in your home state. She likes to win and has the players now at BU so why risk it for what?

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Big news from Syracuse. They now lead D1 schools with 12 players transferring out of the program (close to the entire team) with the latest one pretty impactful. I'm wondering how Coach Q sleeps these days.

Last edited:

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
While we have been focusing on what's happening to Drake WBB so much these days, UNI also has some positive news.

Some eye-catching stats from the press release:

The Panthers finished the year with a 17-13 record, including an 11-7 MVC mark. It is the 13th consecutive season with a .500 record or better in Valley play, it was the 12th year in a row finishing in the top half of the MVC standings and it was the 12th year in a row that UNI earned at least 17 wins.

The Panthers have advanced to the postseason 10 of the last 11 seasons (excluding the COVID-shortened 2019-20 season.)

Warren is the winningest coach in program history with 260 career wins. She also has 161 MVC wins in her 14 seasons at the helm. She was the Valley coach of the year in 2010-11, 2013-14 and 2015-16.

Reactions: Buster28

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
Big news from Syracuse. They now lead D1 schools with 12 players transferring out of the program (close to the entire team) with the latest one pretty impactful. I'm wondering how Coach Q sleeps these days.

"We’re in a good place and we’re not in a panic mode,” Hillsman said. “What’s happening right now is this portal across the country is becoming this thing where if you have nobody in the portal, then your program’s fantastic. If you got people in the portal, then you’re in trouble. We’re not in that state.”

"I have no issues with that,” Hillsman said. “Those are the rules. They can choose to go where they want to go. I think a lot of it is schools who’ve recruited you from the beginning so they’re familiar with some of these schools as well, just like some of the players that we’re bringing in, probably 90% of them we’re familiar with them from the previous recruiting process. I view it as a compliment.”

Interesting view about the transfer portal. So glad that isn't ISU...

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: VeloClone

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Now the fun begins, will she go? If so how many current players follow? Who will the hire to replace a legend? Gee, any ideas and what are people saying in Waco? If she leaves next year will be a toss up as to who wins the reg season title.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Now the fun begins, will she go? If so how many current players follow? Who will the hire to replace a legend? Gee, any ideas and what are people saying in Waco? If she leaves next year will be a toss up as to who wins the reg season title.
She definitely has gone. If she doesn’t want it, she would have said that she is not going anywhere.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
This will turn the league upside down and even further weaken it overall. Opens a door to us, of course, we don't have to rise a level, just beat what's left. And with the transfer portal being the Wild Wild West, Baylor is going to take a HUGE hit. Best a new coach will able to do is try to talk a player into returning and that would be assuming their AD can do a quick hire and even give a new coach that opportunity.

Baylor is likely to be middle of the pack since there are no true blueblood schools in WBB, just blueblood coaches. Baylor can rebuild with the right coach but it's not just insert a new coach and sustain like at some of the blood blood football schools especially with transfers being the big impact they are today. You don't have to look further than Tennessee or Texas Tech to see what happens after a blueblood coaches reign ends. Baylor can rebuild with the right coach but it's not just a insert a new coach and sustain like at some of the blood blood football schools especially with transfers being the big impact they are today.