WBB: Miscellaneous Thread for 2020-21 Season

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Baylor has a commanding lead against Texas 33-17 at halftime. Texas's offense is hard to watch. It'll be interesting to see how Texas adjusts in the second half.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
It still bugs me, maybe some of you fanatics as well, that we got two of Texas's best games when we played them. So unfortunate. With the current league playing out, there's a good chance ISU and Texas will end up at the 4th and 5th seed in the Big12 tournament. If that happened, I would fully expect the sisters get the revenge.

Reactions: NWICY

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
Baylor has a commanding lead against Texas 33-17 at halftime. Texas's offense is hard to watch. It'll be interesting to see how Texas adjusts in the second half.

19 points for UT with 2 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter. Cold weather/cold shooting..:oops: 22% from the field & 14% FT & 0/8 on 3 pointers

Baylor doesn't seem to be affected.

Last edited:
  • Informative

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
This Texas/Baylor game is horrible. It took Texas, what, 28 minutes to pass 20 points? Baylor is hardly what I would call impressive, either, aside from killing Texas on the boards. Definitely wish THIS 'horn squad could have shown up to at least ONE of the games against Iowa State.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Listening to announcers speculating on whether or not Collier will go WNBA early. They might want to expand their speculation that the #1 pick in the WNBA gets $68,000, not the $8M + that the #1 pick in the NBA gets. It's not like the financial temptation is huge, IMHO.

ISU40

Jan 8, 2012
Ames
BU and UT is really hard to watch. I wouldn't even call this a defensive battle, just bad basketball.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
Collier (5 points, 2 rebounds, no free throw attempts) hasn't taken a shot in the 2nd half..Now she just fouled out with 1:48 to go. 56-29. Yikes!

Crazy how the team's players were assigned seating under the baskets & the coaches on the sidelines.

Last edited:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
19 points for UT with 2 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter. Cold weather/cold shooting..:oops: 22% from the field & 14% FT & 0/8 on 3 pointers

Baylor doesn't seem to be affected.
Baylor's man-to-man defense holding opponents to 32% shooting for the year. That's impressive.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
There have been some upsets this week in women's basketball:
Iowa State AND West Virginia getting upset by Oklahoma! (Oklahoma winning in Morgantown is super impressive).
#12 (12-2) Ohio State lost to a (4-3) Wisconsin team
#21 Northwestern lost to Rutgers (although Rutgers has had COVID issues and haven't played a lot of games) by 16 points.
#16 Tennessee lost to #20 Kentucky ~ isn't really an upset but they lost by 15.
So it has been a crazy week.
The Iowa game vs. Nebraska was quite a game if anyone watched it... Iowa was ahead by 11 and Nebraska came roaring back in the 4th quarter. Clark had an impressive game and hit a deep three with a little over 1:00 to play to put them up by 7. The camera panned to Iowa's bench expecting a huge reaction and the team just sat there and barely clapped. Can't help but wonder?! Janel McCarville commented: "4 pt game and bench energy on zerooooo"

Interesting observation on Iowa, that could be interesting to see how that develops over time, she is a offensive force but I never have paid attention to see how she gets her points. Is she a black hole, once the ball goes there it never comes back? If I'm driving I'll listen to a Iowa game but I won't stop the channel flipping to watch them on TV, (yeah I'm petty and anti-hawk that way)

• Funny
Reactions: Buster28 and farm85

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
@geewago make to the Baylor game or did catch it on TV? Is the ice as far south as Waco? Looks like the Baylor ladies have the conference season championship wrapped up to me. Congrats.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Interesting observation on Iowa, that could be interesting to see how that develops over time, she is a offensive force but I never have paid attention to see how she gets her points. Is she a black hole, once the ball goes there it never comes back? If I'm driving I'll listen to a Iowa game but I won't stop the channel flipping to watch them on TV, (yeah I'm petty and anti-hawk that way)

She shoulders a burden of scoring and point guarding for assists. She turns it over a little too much, too many high risk passes, not like she has a poor handle on the ball and is overmatched. But offense is NOT a problem for Iowa. Like most freshman, she isn't great or even decent on defense. The entire team sucks on defense. They are a more extreme version of us, #2 in the Big 10 in scoring (like we are in the Big 12) but dead last of 14 teams in defense. We are mediocre on defense, they are just plain bad, very bad. I catch their games channel flipping when I can. Cizano is scoring a bunch but is pretty bad at defense and does not rebound worth a damn for a gal who seems to be able to position and impose herself when she wants to score. They are still likely a March team with seven Big 10 teams in if you go by NCAA NET.

• Informative

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
@geewago make to the Baylor game or did catch it on TV? Is the ice as far south as Waco? Looks like the Baylor ladies have the conference season championship wrapped up to me. Congrats.
No I didn't go to the game. They only let about 30 privileged people in. They panicked worse over the weather today than they have over covid. I have a 4 wheel drive truck and I went all over the place today. But the leaders and powers that be around here just dont know how to deal with cold weather. The ice and snow goes anywhere from 100 to 175 miles south of here. Breaking lifetime records all over the place.

• Informative

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
No I didn't go to the game. They only let about 30 privileged people in. They panicked worse over the weather today than they have over covid. I have a 4 wheel drive truck and I went all over the place today. But the leaders and powers that be around here just dont know how to deal with cold weather. The ice and snow goes anywhere from 100 to 175 miles south of here. Breaking lifetime records all over the place.

A carefully selected elite cadre of 30 fans was all part of Mulkey's clever plan to get in Colliers head. ;)

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Monday Randoms:

Stanford is at Oregon at 600 on ESPN2

The other HS gal I know of who enrolled early, guard Katie Borowicz, has been playing 10 minutes a game which really surprises me even though the Gophers haven't played well at all this season. Injuries and a team not going anywhere have given her some minutes. Had 4 assists and 3 rebounds yesterday in 11 minutes. Not bad for a HS kid.

Brenda Frese won her 500 career game over the weekend. 500–130 (.794)! Since joining the Big 10 she is sporting a Kim Mulkey like winning percentage of 194–29 (.870). Seems a LONG time ago that she was the assistant driving all the way to Roseau to recruit Megan Taylor.

Weird standings in Big 10. The Brendas at 10-1, The Covided Wolverines at 6-1 and Hoosiers at 11-2.

Last edited:
  • Informative

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
From NCAA's website, here's the first early reveal of the top seeds in the NCAA tournament by the selection committee.

My comment:
For Big12, Baylor is #10 overall in the ranking and the third seed in a region (about right) and West Virginia is #14 overall and the fourth seed in a region (kind of surprising).
By the way, Charlie Creme still has ISU as the #8 seed in his latest bracketology (facing Rutgers). I think ISU needs to do well in the rest Big12 regular season and the Big12 tournament in order to get a better seed (preferably the #6 seed).

NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Committee – February 15 – Top-16 Ranking*
  1. UConn (No. 1 seed – Region 1)
  2. South Carolina (No. 1 seed – Region 2)
  3. Stanford (No. 1 seed – Region 3)
  4. Louisville (No. 1 seed – Region 4)
  5. Texas A&M
  6. NC State
  7. Maryland
  8. Arizona
  9. UCLA
  10. Baylor
  11. Oregon
  12. Georgia
  13. Tennessee
  14. West Virginia
  15. Indiana
  16. Kentucky

REGIONAL ASSIGNMENTS
National Semifinals:

Region 1 Winner
vs. Region 4 Winner

Region 2 Winner
vs. Region 3 Winner

Region 1:
1. UConn
2. Arizona
3. Baylor
4. Tennessee

Region 2: 1. South Carolina
2. Maryland
3. UCLA
4. West Virginia

Region 3: 1. Stanford
2. NC State
3. Georgia
4. Indiana

Region 4: 1. Louisville
2. Texas A&M
3. Oregon
4. Kentucky
*Ranking and regional assignments based on games played through Sunday, Feb. 14.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The NCAA "big reveal" is lot less dramatic without all of those teams playing at home.

If you use NET as a guide for seeding we are currently #32. We look to be right on the 7/8 bubble. That will leave us playing a very similar strength team like Iowa or Texas although either of those are not likely opening round matchups. Who knows though, they have Baylor as #3 and NET has them at #4. I kinda think of the Bears as on the 2/3 bubble. Also WVU as a #4 seem a little generous, they seem more like a low #5. Maybe they are only going to use NET for the seeds lower than #4 after they apply their name test, eye tests and personal and league bias.

Latest AP poll has Baylor #7, WVU #19. Only OSU even among ORV. Woof.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron