WBB - ISU vs Tech on Fox regional affiliates

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Lifetime contract, dude, and he has never seemingly really aspired to win the conference which I guess is impossible anyway with Baylor firmly entrenched as the class of the Big 12. Our RPI has slipped to triple figures. I was predicting 9-9 but really that would be a surprise to me at this point. 0-5 so far against P5 competition doesn't inspire confidence. If I had to guess today I'd say no dance.

I think at this point 9-9 would be a miracle. Right now I'd say we sweep KU and maybe get ttu and OSU at home. I think a 5-6 conf. wins is a real possibility.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
All things must pass. CBF has been great, but I'm ready for a new leader.

I am not ready to go to that level yet. BF has obviously shown that he is a great coach. I do think that a staff shake up might be necessary though. Bring in some new blood and new ways of doing things. I really do think that the Easley/Billy move was not really that great.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I am not ready to go to that level yet. BF has obviously shown that he is a great coach. I do think that a staff shake up might be necessary though. Bring in some new blood and new ways of doing things. I really do think that the Easley/Billy move was not really that great.

Not going to be any shakeup until he retires. Things will be done his way, it's either going to work or not work. The staff is the staff and will be the staff. Barring some mass exodus of players or something he will coach here for the next 10 years unless ISU agrees to just hand over the reigns to his son and I cannot see our AD doing that based on the middling performance that is the trend.

What's odd is we seem to be getting worse with what are regarded, at least on paper, as better recruiting classes (not this years, but generally "better"). You can look at the recruits rankings and think "reinvigorated" but then look at the team on court and think the staff is old and tired. Weird stuff.

MJN

Aug 13, 2011
Urbandale
Lifetime contract, dude, and he has never seemingly really aspired to win the conference which I guess is impossible anyway with Baylor firmly entrenched as the class of the Big 12. Our RPI has slipped to triple figures. I was predicting 9-9 but really that would be a surprise to me at this point. 0-5 so far against P5 competition doesn't inspire confidence. If I had to guess today I'd say no dance.

ISU women's basketball has become the Fennelly family business. Paying those guys well over a million bucks for these results for a program that loses money. Appears to be no accountaBILLity. Bill ripping the girls last night in post game when the finger should be pointed back at himself. #IowaStateWay

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
ISU women's basketball has become the Fennelly family business. Paying those guys well over a million bucks for these results for a program that loses money. Appears to be no accountaBILLity. Bill ripping the girls last night in post game when the finger should be pointed back at himself. #IowaStateWay

I did not listen to the postgame as the Men's game was going on. What did he say?

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa

He seems to rip the girl's allott and it seems to have gotten worse the older he gets. Might also be a reason for some of the attrition seen in the program. I don't want to call him old and cranky but, it seems he may have less patience

ISU71

Jan 16, 2013
They have Carleton playing outside way too much. She has quickness, the moves, and strength for her size - 6'1" - to get points in the paint and even play with her back to the basket depending on the match-up. She's the not best shooter around - 12-38 for the first Big 12 games, 5-20 from three...yet she's stationed outside like she's 5'9''...

Have to agree with you on this one. I would like to see her move inside and post up more frequently. She is 6'1" and has a solid body. I think she could score in there. I will disagree by saying, IMHO, she is not quick. She seems to be having difficulty getting 3's off because she is not quick enough to shake her defender. I also believe she needs to drive a lot more. This would make a defender give her more space for shooting a potential three. Bottom line: ISU needs much more out of her. She has the ability and the potential.

• Winner
Reactions: riceville98

MJN

Aug 13, 2011
Urbandale
I did not listen to the postgame as the Men's game was going on. What did he say?

Said too many players feeling sorry for themselves..def see lineup changes. Called out post players. Medders was awfully critical as well. Just the type of rhetoric that doesn't need to be spewed over the radio. Do it internally. You can still be critical without being over the top. Need more of the we need to coach better or recruit better. Its not posts fault they aren't talented. Coach them better.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
Said too many players feeling sorry for themselves..def see lineup changes. Called out post players. Medders was awfully critical as well. Just the type of rhetoric that doesn't need to be spewed over the radio. Do it internally. You can still be critical without being over the top. Need more of the we need to coach better or recruit better. Its not posts fault they aren't talented. Coach them better.

I agree that it is in bad taste to call out the players on the radio. I am sure that Bill is quite frustrated at this point - but still no excuse to do that.

Line up changes? And who is he going to change out?

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I'm not giving up on this team yet.

But....coach needs to accept blame.

A pattern of fatigue in the 4th has emerged, figure out coach.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I agree that it is in bad taste to call out the players on the radio. I am sure that Bill is quite frustrated at this point - but still no excuse to do that.

Line up changes? And who is he going to change out?

Beats me. His rotation is down to seven players with Camber bumping Durr to the bench and it's not like he's going to suddenly give her minutes again (IMHO). Not a lot of effective combo possibilities when you have seven players. Thought we saw something of a change with Bowe and Burkhall in at the same time, not sure what else there is.

ISU71

Jan 16, 2013
I'm not giving up on this team yet.

But....coach needs to accept blame.

A pattern of fatigue in the 4th has emerged, figure out coach.

Buckley played 40 minutes last night. Johnson 38. Carleton 35. You can get away with this for a few games. But, night in and night out the players will wear down. IMO ISU needs 9 players consistently in the rotation to give players like Jadda and Seanna some rest each half.

And, its not just the playing. They travel, stay in hotels, eat hotel food and get home very late. They have schoolwork and practice. Its a grind. Yes, its a privilege to represent ISU. But, they are not robots and it is a grind that is sure to wear them down in many respects. JMO

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Buckley played 40 minutes last night. Johnson 38. Carleton 35. You can get away with this for a few games. But, night in and night out the players will wear down. IMO ISU needs 9 players consistently in the rotation to give players like Jadda and Seanna some rest each half.

And, its not just the playing. They travel, stay in hotels, eat hotel food and get home very late. They have schoolwork and practice. Its a grind. Yes, its a privilege to represent ISU. But, they are not robots and it is a grind that is sure to wear them down in many respects. JMO

This was my point. This is the same thing that happened last year, and it didn't work then, so why would it work now? If the players are not good enough to make it into the rotation, then whose job is it to coach them up? What is the coaching staff getting paid to do, if not that? It seems obvious that the rotation needs to be expanded, so isn't it up to the staff to make that happen by coachin the players to the level that they can fill in?

The recruiting has gotten better, but I think that is mostly on Billy and the other assistants. Unless you want to figure that after 20 plus years BF finally figured it out. But, developing the players has not improved much if at all in the last few years.

This team has lost games in the 2nd half and especiallly in the 4th quarter. When that happens consistently, you have to look at the minutes played by your starters and if they have anything left in the tank. If they don't, then you have to figure out how to adjust your rotation to have them fresher to finish. It's not rocket science is it?

Reactions: runbikeswim

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014

As an engineer would say, you can't keep repeating the same process and expect new results or for a problem to go away.

I personally think he could simply use timeouts more effectively to manage player rest. I also think we should throw a defensive body (given we seem to keep playing a guard based on that alone (tt), on the other teams PG all the way up the court and make other teams burn some clock.

ISU71

Jan 16, 2013
I am sure BF and staff are very aware of this. They love their players and care about them deeply. Somehow they have to figure out a way to get 9-10 players in to the rotation while preserving the lead to keep their "go to" people fairly fresh at the end. I would bet they have had hours of conversations about this very thing. JMO

• Agree
Reactions: barometriclow

savepolarbears

Dec 4, 2013

I'd say the most talented player not getting enough PT is Durr. Sitting her for "long" Texas was understandable, but shocked that she didn't get at least 10 minutes this game. I was hoping Nia would have practiced her way into more PT by now too, she has the potential. At some point, you have to trust your bench if your starters don't have the energy to manage the grind.