WBB: Iowa State hosts Kansas at 6:30 ESPN+

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Last home game of the season. Taking on the woeful Kansas Jayhawks. Kansas is on a six game losing streak and are 3-13 in conference play. They are winless at 0-9 on the road overall. Even after a week off a possibly rusty Cyclone squad could turn this into a stat stuffer early if we play hard. Hopefully we play hard on BOTH ends of the court which we did not in Lawrence. We gave up a whopping 32 points in the 3rd quarter and 82 for the game. Lots of complaining in the WBB threads about single quarter scoring droughts but we also have had a few complete defense lapses that can really hurt even against a bottom dwelling team.

156420059_3898510903502813_1097167694179634008_o.jpg

Where: Hilton Coliseum - Ames, Iowa
When: Wednesday, March 3 at 6:30 PM
Projected Starting Lineup: Kristin Scott, Ashley Joens, Kylie Feuerbach, Emily Ryan, Lexi Donarski
Radio: Cyclone Radio Network/Learfield
Talent: Noah Wolf, Brett Cooper
TV: Big 12 Now on ESPN+
Talent: Brent Blum, Lyndsey Fennelly

The Lead
I
owa State takes on Kansas on Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. on Big 12 Now on ESPN+. Wednesday's game marks the end of the regular season for the Cyclones, who will head to the Big 12 Tournament next, from March 11-14. Iowa State is looking for its 12th win in league play for the eighth time in school history.

Key Storylines
  • Preseason All-American Ashley Joens is eighth in the nation in scoring, averaging 23.4 points a game. She currently ranks 11th in school history in scoring (1,564 points), and is the 11th player to reach 1,500 career points in school history. She is also the first active junior to reach 1,500 this season.
  • Joens is one of two players in the nation averaging over 23+ points and 8.5+ rebounds per game.
  • For the third-straight season, Iowa State has won 10 or more Big 12 games (2019-20, 10-8 and 2020-21, 13-5). ISU is looking to reach 12 wins in conference action for the eighth time in school history.
  • Iowa State women's basketball is ranked 33rd in the NET rankings. Iowa State has played 23 games this season, which is among the top-20 in nation for games played, 12 of which have been on the road. The Cyclones have also faced the 12th toughest schedule to date in the nation. Of teams ranked in the AP Top 25, the Cyclones rank in the top-5 in strength of schedule.
  • Cyclone freshmen have claimed eight of the Big 12's 12 Freshman of the Week honors, with Lexi Donarski (5), Emily Ryan (2) and Kylie Feuerbach (1) earning top honors.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
It’s MARCH!!! The best time of the year for college basketball. I’m sure the sisters are just as excited as our fans. We have seen the early January version of the team return in the West Virginia game. Now the question is: Is this version of the team here to stay or getting even better? Well, tonight’s game might be a good indicator that either this team is trustworthy of playing consistently good basketball to our full potential from now on, or still keeps us guessing which version will show up and keeps our heart-rate up.

Compared to our Big12 opponents, our schedule is perfect. We have just one game to play before the Big12 tournament, which means we have sufficient time to rest, practice, use this game to maintain our rhythm and get ready for the tournament. For other Big12 teams, OSU has a two-week layoff so they could be a little rusty when they get into the tournament. Most other teams have more than one regular season game to finish so they will have less time to rest and prepare than us. Also, we have a deep rotation and I’d expect we take full advantage of it going forward. This team will be fresher than most of the other Big12 teams come tournament time.

Here’s my “what to watch for” in tonight’s game.

1) Will the team that blew out WVU show up again?

If the answer is affirmative, then we should expect a double-digit win.

2) Will it be the last time for the seniors to play in Hilton?

Regardless of their decisions are, they have our full support and best wishes. I hope they play great tonight. Will Coach Fen start three seniors again?

3) Will the team defense step up in this game?

Coach Fen said on Monday’s radio show that in their film session, re-watching the last KU game is like watching a “horror show” on the defensive end, and some of the players would cover their eyes with their hands. If we play good defense tonight, plus grab more rebounds, limit turnovers, KU can’t match our firepower on the offensive end.

4) Will the team shoot over 90% on the free-throw line?

Shooting over 90% in the past four games is really a thing of beauty. As I analyzed in the “Twister Sisters' Free-Throw Percentage Record Watch” thread, in order to become the #1 NCAA D1 team in FT% by the end of the regular season, they need to make 8 or more free throws without a miss, or make 13 or more with a single miss in tonight’s game.

5) Will it be raining 3s in Hilton?

This team holds the school record for most 3-pointers made in a game (19). If the team gets into their rhythm early, plays up-tempo and passes the ball well, we should expect 10+ 3-pointers rained down.

6) Will Ashley have a 30-pt game for another player of the week award?

It’s been a while since Ashley scored 30 pts in a game (32 pts vs OU on Jan. 19). This game is her last chance for another player of the week award. Maybe she doesn’t have to score that high since other players have stepped up in recent games. Balanced scoring gives this team a better chance to win. Ashley would always put the team’s record ahead of her individual stats, which is commendable.

7) Will Lexi score over 20 pts for her 6th freshman of the week award?

OU’s freshman Skylar Vann scored 19 pts in Monday’s win against Tech, which means Lexi needs to play a great game in order to retain the weekly award.

8) Will Brent Blum get a chance to use his favorite phrase “that’s a displacement” in the TV broadcast?

IMO Blum is just as talented as many of those national broadcasters. Listening to him call games is always a joy for me. And when he serves as the play-by-play guy in our women’s games, the chance of winning increases greatly.

Ladies, it’s time to peak now. Let’s beat the Jayhawks. Good luck tonight!

Last edited:

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
It’s MARCH!!! The best time of the year for college basketball. I’m sure the sisters are just as excited as our fans. We have seen the early January version of the team return in the West Virginia game. Now the question is: Is this version of the team here to stay or getting even better? Well, tonight’s game might be a good indicator that either this team is trustworthy of playing consistently good basketball to our full potential from now on, or still keeps us guessing which version will show up and keeps our heart-rate up.

Compared to our Big12 opponents, our schedule is perfect. We have just one game to play before the Big12 tournament, which means we have sufficient time to rest, practice, use this game to maintain our rhythm and get ready for the tournament. For other Big12 teams, OSU has a two-week layoff so they could be a little rusty when they get into the tournament. Most other teams have more than one regular season game to finish so they will have less time to rest and prepare than us. Also, we have a deep rotation and I’d expect we take full advantage of it going forward. This team will be fresher than most of the other Big12 teams come tournament time.

Here’s my “what to watch for” in tonight’s game.

1) Will the team that blew out WVU show up again?

If the answer is affirmative, then we should expect a double-digit win.

2) Will it be the last time for the seniors to play in Hilton?

Regardless of their decisions are, they have our full support and best wishes. I hope they play great tonight. Will Coach Fen start three seniors again?

3) Will the team defense step up in this game?

Coach Fen said on Monday’s radio show that in their film session, re-watching the last KU game is like watching a “horror show” on the defensive end, and some of the players would cover their eyes with their hands. If we play good defense tonight, plus grab more rebounds, limit turnovers, KU can’t match our firepower on the offensive end.

4) Will the team shoot over 90% on the free-throw line?

Shooting over 90% in the past four games is really a thing of beauty. As I analyzed in the “Twister Sisters' Free-Throw Percentage Record Watch” thread, in order to become the #1 NCAA D1 team in FT% by the end of the regular season, they need to make 8 or more free throws without a miss, or make 13 or more with a single miss in tonight’s game.

5) Will it be raining 3s in Hilton?

This team holds the school record for most 3-pointers made in a game (19). If the team gets into their rhythm early, plays up-tempo and passes the ball well, we should expect 10+ 3-pointers rained down.

6) Will Ashley have a 30-pt game for another player of the week award?

It’s been a while since Ashley scored 30 pts in a game (32 pts vs OU on Jan. 19). This game is her last chance for another player of the week award. Maybe she doesn’t have to score that high since other players have stepped up in recent games. Balanced scoring gives this team a better chance to win. Ashley would always put the team’s record ahead of her individual stats, which is commendable.

7) Will Lexi score over 20 pts for her 6th freshman of the week award?

OU’s freshman Skylar Vann scored 19 pts in Monday’s win against Tech, which means Lexi needs to play a great game in order to retain the weekly award.

8) Will Brent Blum get a chance to use his favorite phrase “that’s a displacement” in the TV broadcast?

IMO Blum is just as talented as many of those national broadcasters. Listening to him call games is always a joy for me. And when he serves as the play-by-play guy in our women’s games, the chance of winning increases greatly.

Ladies, it’s time to peak now. Let’s beat the Jayhawks. Good luck tonight!
#8 is a lock.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
No.6 I rather have a balanced scoring rather than having Ashley scoring tons of points. It will also be good for the confidence of the team that anyone can score. Sometimes I see Ashley keeps on forcing the shots instead of passing to teammates to shot

• Agree
Reactions: JimDogRock

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
The outcomes of our game vs KU, along with the KSU vs WVU game to be played simultaneously, will pretty much decide the Big12 final standings 2-4. If ISU wins, they will finish at least #4. The best-case scenario is if we win and WVU loses at the Octagon of Doom tonight (and they will most likely lose to Baylor next Monday), ISU will climb to the #3 spot.

Last edited:

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
6 total fouls in 5 min.? Wow.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Looks like they took the week off getting ready for this game

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
16-2 run to end the first half. I think the order has been restored.

In the meantime, WVU leads KSU at halftime 41-32.:(

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
The first half has been a two-woman show. Ashley and Kristin combined 28 of the team 38 pts total. The overall FG% and 3PT% were abysmal. But the defense and especially rebounding were pretty good.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
In order to win this game convincingly, I think we need to score over 80 pts. I hope Ashley and Kristin can keep their hot streak. Lexi must redeem herself in the second half by scoring 10+ pts. The whole team needs to be aggressive and keep drawing fouls and scoring at the free-throw line. Hopefully, Maddie and Rae can score some pts in the second half.

Reactions: barometriclow

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron