WBB: General All-NCAA Thread - Not Team Cyclones Stuff

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Did Clark set record for total points and assists in a tournament? Seems like she would have without really digging.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
I didn’t hear the announcement. Was Reese player of the game or tourney MVP?
It was tourney mvp. Carson was definitely player of the game for LSU. She got so hot that LSU extended their lead by 17 at halftime while Reese and Morris were sitting on the bench. That was a dagger. Meanwhile Poa and Smith made a couple of buckets during that time too. It was truly a win win for the Tigers.

Reactions: NWICY and fcclone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Lol, agree. She's the one who should've gotten player of the game instead of Reese.

The format is why people love March Madness, but the whole thing is a crapshoot compared to the NBA Finals where it always grinds out the clearly best team.

Maybe LSU wins again or wins the next two but there are more "what ifs" for Iowa like what if that bench player doesn't play out of her mind vs her typical game or what if Czinano doesn't get instant foul trouble. It's natural to wonder that stuff, for 23 years ISU fans have been thinking "What if" we got placed anywhere else in the bracket where we didn't have to play a road game against the only other great team in 2000.

Last edited:

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
The format is why people love March Madness, but the whole thing is a crap shoot compared to the NBA Finals where it always grinds out the clearly best team.

Maybe LSU wins again or wins the next two but there are more "what ifs" for Iowa like what if that bench player doesn't play out of her mind vs her typical game or what if Czinano doesn't get instant foul trouble. It's natural to wonder that stuff, for 23 years ISU fans have been thinking "What if" we got placed anywhere else in the bracket where we didn't have to play a road game against the only other great team in 2000.
Well said. Even if CC sticks around for 2 more year's, they would have a decent chance at getting back, but the NCAA TOURNAMENT is such a crapshoot it's FAR from a guarantee. Run into a hot team, a bad matchup, you name it, it takes a lot of luck and a lot of talent to win it all. They may never have this chance again.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Well said. Even if CC sticks around for 2 more year's, they would have a decent chance at getting back, but the NCAA TOURNAMENT is such a crapshoot it's FAR from a guarantee. Run into a hot team, a bad matchup, you name it, it takes a lot of luck and a lot of talent to win it all. They may never have this chance again.
I think losing Czinano moving forward is a lot bigger than people are thinking it will be. She was a very good post player and allowed Iowa to be the offense they were. You couldn’t just hang on the perimeter because Monika was savvy vet and more than capable of making you pay. That will be a big adjustment for Iowa next year unless their other post players can advance quickly.

CT clone

Aug 10, 2020
Points for sure - not sure about assists - but I would guess yes.
Clark does have the record for Total points and assists (60) (and also set the record for total turnovers with 35). Sheryl Swoopes averaged more points per game (35.4) but played 1 less game and still holds the record for points in a Championship game with 47 in a 2 point win over Ohio State in 1993.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
The format is why people love March Madness, but the whole thing is a crapshoot compared to the NBA Finals where it always grinds out the clearly best team.

Iowa doesn’t have a bench and because of that they have to avoid playing tough defense. That was the difference in the game. Iowa didn’t have someone who could come off the bench and score 10 points.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Iowa doesn’t have a bench and because of that they have to avoid playing tough defense. That was the difference in the game. Iowa didn’t have someone who could come off the bench and score 10 points.
I always told friends if someone can get Iowa into foul trouble they were toast. They still made an admirable comeback effort.

Reactions: peatyscotch

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Clark does have the record for Total points and assists (60) (and also set the record for total turnovers with 35). Sheryl Swoopes averaged more points per game (35.4) but played 1 less game and still holds the record for points in a Championship game with 47 in a 2 point win over Ohio State in 1993.
Swoopes was an elite defender as well

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
And when Clark and Czinano were both on the bench, their offense looked lost. Their two backup post players were OK, but there is a big dropoff from Czinano, and the backup point guard that transferred from Central Michigan is a huge dropoff.

The thing is, they had plenty of games during the season to use their bench, plus had a deep bench, and it was never developed.

peatyscotch

Feb 16, 2022
It’s all well and good to give back to Clark what she dishes out, but it shouldn’t have been from Reese - she sat the entire 2nd quarter and had 15 points to Clark’s 30. And giving Reese the game MVP was an outrage - both Carson and Morris had far more impact on the game for LSU
I mayy be wrong, but I believe Reese was tournament MVP, not game MVP.

Reactions: ChiClone22

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I don't know why there is so much hate for the officials. The calls were about the same for each team and I thought with the exception of a couple (for both teams) they were calling per the book. When a game gets rough people complain they need to call fouls when they call fouls people shout "Let them play". You get a feel early on how a game will be called and unless they do a 180 at half a good team will see this and play to keep out of foul trouble.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
The big variable in this game was the refs. I wonder if they were picked on merit or for some other reason?

As for the post game stuff, this seems to be a reflection of what this generation wants and admires. It's defended by female journalists like Holly Rowe. Does it help our game, IDK?
About as bad a post as I have ever read.
Want to say much more - but I will just get deleted.

Go away

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron