WBB Game Thread: Exhibition vs UW-River Falls (Nov 4)

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
UWRF has only three 6-footers on the team: two at 6'1" and one at 6'0". The two 6'1" players are both freshmen.

They are Div 3 and played an abbreviated 9-game schedule last season, going 2-7. They do return their three top scorers.

On paper, UWRF shouldn't be able to hang around -- a halftime lead of less than double digits would raise eyebrows, and we should win by 25+ easily (and probably more like 40). But they do chuck up a lot of threes (43% of their FG attempts last season were threes) so they could make things a bit interesting if those are falling.

They had a 5'9" guard named Lindsey Wilson on the roster last year, but disappointingly it appears she's no longer on the team. Ironically, she was literally the only player on the roster last year to not attempt a three, primarily because she only had 8 minutes of playing time.

Last edited:

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
There's not much to say in the game preview when it's an exhibition opponent and neither team has played a game yet, but th one interesting thing is that Fritz and Kane are a projected starters. Neither is a huge surprise: Bill said Denae might be starting, and if we're starting the season with post-by-committee then starting our most experienced post makes sense.

Reactions: bozclone

imaclone2

Jun 7, 2008
Are any of their games televised? ESPN+ carried most of the games last year.

barometriclow

Jan 31, 2009
Ankeny
I guess we will be the other couple wearing masks. I can yell at the ref with impunity. If you see me getting kicked out know that the mask was not effective.

• Funny
Reactions: ISC and NWICY

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Really sucks to hear about Maggie’s lingering injuries. What a tough go for her. Excited about this team though.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Really sucks to hear about Maggie’s lingering injuries. What a tough go for her. Excited about this team though.

Agree, I don't like to hear this already. My hope that this is not a precursor to a continuing problem. It would be great to have her available to play many minutes.

runningcy

Oct 16, 2008
Ames
I’m really looking forward to tonight’s game. Most excited to see the freshmen Fritz and Vick. Also should be exciting to what Diew is gonna bring for us. Do you think we will be focusing on getting our posts some good game experience since it’s an exhibition that we clearly win.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Whats going to be our starting lineup?, plus the few off the bench?
Projected starters:
PG. Ryan
SG. Donarski
SG. Fritz
W. Ashley Joens
P. Kane

MEM and Jordao are out (unless Jordao is healed enough to play a bit). Sounds like Donarski is the backup PG. The primary backups off the bench will be Aubrey Joens at SG, Diew at W/F, Zingaro and Vick at P. I'm sure Frederick will get a fair amount of pt at SG/W (especially with MEM out) and King will see some action too (SG and maybe PG?). I would not be shocked to see some 2-post offense (maybe Kane or Vick underneath with Zingaro up high).