WBB: Damning Report in USA Today on Texas Tech's Marlene Stollings

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Damn, some nasty stuff going down with her and some of the crazies she hired. :oops:

This is LONG but worth a read if you care about Div I WBB at all. Some shocking stuff. Some of it is so unbelievable you have just wonder how she wasn't fired.

Standard physical and mental abusive behavior we've heard before but some at a new level like confiscating a players dog and giving it to boosters since the dog was a "distraction". That's just odd and cruel but not am citing it since it's so freaking odd. And a dude that sounded like a sexual predator as strength coach (at least he got canned).

Texas Tech women's basketball players describe toxic culture: 'Fear, anxiety and depression'

Article linky to USA Today

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: CloneLawman

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
It was disturbing that Petrella asked one player to stay after for one on one treatment. Scary..

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Sustained 90% heart rate!?!?

Was she trying to kill them!?!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Sustained 90% heart rate!?!?

Was she trying to kill them!?!

That was kinda crazy pseudo science applied by non medical staff. I'd get this if it were the Olympics and some doctors in a lab with runners on treadmills looking into heart rates and uptake but this was some hack amateurs. Trainers and coaches ain't doctors. **** they aren't even physical therapists. Just insane stuff.

And all of the maximum heart rate stuff is just generalities from charts. One size/one age doesn't fit all. To get down into it you'd really have to do the sport medicine lab workup to know your true rates etc.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It was disturbing that Petrella asked one player to stay after for one on one treatment. Scary..

He sounds a little bit like a sadistic bastard and lot like a sexual predator. And Stallings with the classic coaches response to complaints, "I don't believe you".

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
There was a track record for her assistant (who she was an assistant for) in New Mexico (which they conveniently have left off their bios). This is crazy stuff.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Only went to one game this year and it happened to be the Texas Tech game. I thought even in pre-game there was something odd about that team and especially the assistant coach. He looked like a band director out there. Then they proceeded to kill us with that post player.

The heart rate stuff is pretty dumb. If your players are maxing out the heart rate in a game doesn't that indicate they are kinda out of shape? I mean if your in good shape then you could play hard and still keep a decent heart rate or at least have it come down pretty quick.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Only went to one game this year and it happened to be the Texas Tech game. I thought even in pre-game there was something odd about that team and especially the assistant coach. He looked like a band director out there. Then they proceeded to kill us with that post player.

The heart rate stuff is pretty dumb. If your players are maxing out the heart rate in a game doesn't that indicate they are kinda out of shape? I mean if your in good shape then you could play hard and still keep a decent heart rate or at least have it come down pretty quick.
Yeah, my hs cross country coach was big into heart rates years ago. He would have us take our heart rates immediately after a training run - he would time us for 15 seconds while we counted beats and then multiply by 4. There were some of us that told him that it wasn't working because our heart rate would drastically reduce during the 15 seconds because we were bulletproof and three feet thick. He started giving us 6 seconds and then we would multiply by 10. A post player could easily be waiting for 6-10 seconds for the guards to bring the ball up the court and the heart rate recovers - certainly below 90 percent.

Isn't the whole goal to be in good enough shape that the effort you have to bring to be effective doesn't max out your heart rate so you can be effective for longer than your opponent?

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Yeah, my hs cross country coach was big into heart rates years ago. He would have us take our heart rates immediately after a training run - he would time us for 15 seconds while we counted beats and then multiply by 4. There were some of us that told him that it wasn't working because our heart rate would drastically reduce during the 15 seconds because we were bulletproof and three feet thick. He started giving us 6 seconds and then we would multiply by 10. A post player could easily be waiting for 6-10 seconds for the guards to bring the ball up the court and the heart rate recovers - certainly below 90 percent.

Isn't the whole goal to be in good enough shape that the effort you have to bring to be effective doesn't max out your heart rate so you can be effective for longer than your opponent?

All these obsessive real-time data tracking apps change that a little. But I suspect guys like this have no clue what they are doing. Just looking at the data and trying to tell the players they aren't working hard enough. Not smart enough to even understand the purpose.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Don't know much about TT WBB, except I wasn't infavor of the coaching change. Their last coach was easy on the eyes.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Wtf

Merriweather said these feelings were exacerbated after Stollings confiscated her dog, Mikey, whom she intended to register as an emotional-support pet. Merriweather said Stollings told her a dog was a distraction from basketball, and asked a group of boosters if somebody wanted the dog.

She cried as a woman she’d never met took Mikey away. “She just tore him away from me,” Merriweather said.

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
giphy.gif

Reactions: ISU3PtLand

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Interestingly, this past season was the first time since 2004-2005 that Tech had lost fewer than 11 games (caveat that obviously the Raiders would likely have lost at least one more game had the season not been terminated prior to playing in Kansas City). I think the beatdown we gave them in Lubbock for game one of the Big 12 slate likely motivated Stollings, but I wonder how much worse that made the entire situation for those players.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron