WBB: Cyclones host TCU Horned Toads tonight in Ames

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Well, poop, thought this was a game we might win by 10 or 12 after watching how it was going early.

SMP05

Oct 10, 2015
Our point guard play at the end of these tights games has been questionable... Poor shooting and decision making, turnovers and the constant dribbling. Ugh.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98 and ISC

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
Our point guard play at the end of these tights games has been questionable... Poor shooting and decision making, turnovers and the constant dribbling. Ugh.
Yeah, I think PG play is going to limit the ceiling of this team. Ray just isn’t enough of a threat to score consistently

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Positives:
Joens, our only physical player, goes for 31 pts 15 rbs
Scott, double-double
Wise, got 20 minutes.

Negatives:
Flopping on non-charging plays, forcing passes to players that had a defense player draped on them resulting in a dozen or more scrums for the deflected ball, passive play by those not named Joens, picking up the dribble, picking up the dribble and picking up the dribble.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Positives:
Joens, our only physical player, goes for 31 pts 15 rbs
Scott, double-double
Wise, got 20 minutes.

Negatives:
Flopping on non-charging plays, forcing passes to players that had a defense player draped on them resulting in a dozen or more scrums for the deflected ball, passive play by those not named Joens, picking up the dribble, picking up the dribble and picking up the dribble.
That's because so many of our players cannot dribble well, so that when faced with defensive pressure, they pick up the ball, instead of taking it to the defenders. They don't have confidence in their dribbling abilities.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
This officiating crew has struggled at times with rules.

Also there was a point in the game where the TCU coach was going off on one of the pony tail lady officials. The ref puts up her hand like no more and then Pebley continued on and nothing. If that's Bill he's getting T'd. Not the reason we lost but my god these 3 were inept at times tonight.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I should have been counting at the start of the game for the number of times we pick up a dribble and end up double teamed. o_O

And I wish we would stop flopping. Refs ain't calling that on incidental contact. It's gotta be coached since Johnson and Joens aren't so weak they get knocked over when getting brushed by an opponent. You might get the call if you have the ball but flopping on loose balls just takes you out of the play.
I agree - the flopping was embarrassing. Is that the new "Iowa State Way?"

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
I watched the game on CYTV. Had both laptops tied up as I was also watching the KU-BU game on ESPN+. Therefore I had nothing much to say on either board. Just watched. Disappointed in this game to say the least. Too many weak spots which I believe goes back to the life blood of a program - RECRUITING! Already 3 losses in conference and some very tough games ahead.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well the ladies took the L. The first half the refs let the game get way physical, the 2nd half we missed some shots that should have dropped. I'm usually pretty quiet about the officiating but they were abysmal tonight.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

“We don’t coach that way. We don’t play that way. We don’t teach hand-to-hand combat here, and that’s my fault. And that’s no one’s fault. I need to be better at that. I’m not going to do it. So, if they want someone else to coach the team to do it, they can. But I’m not doing it. I don’t believe it.”

This quote is a bit bothersome. In my mind, all I ask of officials is to be consistent. What is a foul on one side of the floor should be a foul on the other. But I think it becomes incumbent on the team and coach to recognize what kind of game is being called and adapt accordingly. If they are letting things go encourage the girls to be more physical on defense.

Now I know that doesn't exactly fit our profile, but at the same time it just feels a little "cut off your nose to spite your face" to see they are allowing physical defense and refrain from it because you don't think it's right.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Well the ladies took the L. The first half the refs let the game get way physical, the 2nd half we missed some shots that should have dropped. I'm usually pretty quiet about the officiating but they were abysmal tonight.

I truly believe the physical nature of the game and quality of officiating is in large part due to the schedules of the officials (in both men's and women's basketball). If you turn on games from night to night you will see the same officials night after night, hundreds or thousands of miles away from the game they did the night before. That means little or no rest, constant travel and just wanting to get on to the next game. The more that they call (fouls/ violations) - the longer until they get in their car and move on to the next game. Amy Bonner (the dark haired ref in pony tail last night) is a Final Four caliber official but looked exhausted last night. Basically calling nothing - twice having teams line up for free throws when they were not in the bonus and somewhat distracted the whole game. The players, coaches and fans deserve better, unfortunately the major conferences all hire the same 20 officials so this is the unfortunate reality of the games.

Reactions: kcdc4isu

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Last night was the third home game in a row where we've said, "that's the worst officiating crew of the season!" Dee Kantner is just a disaster. Virtually every crew she leads is a disaster as well. I don't really care that she's supposedly "respected" and gets all the high-profile games. She sucks. She literally doesn't enforce half the rules of the game. Travel? Won't call them. Physical play? Wait until someone gets hurt before blowing the whistle. Just unreal. She deserves criticism for the way she operates on the court. She deserves a LOT of it. Fennelly needs to just let her have it one day, publicly. Eff the fine. Just do it. Not like he can't (literally) afford to speak his mind.

That being said, we need to show up for four quarters. But we absolutely should have been at the line an additional 20 times last night. There were a couple fouls that I could HEAR in the balcony that were not called. Ugh. The girls just gotta put together a complete game and get a W. It's starting to make that game at Tech look like it was a complete aberration.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I think we have 3 tiers in this conf.

Top Baylor, West Virginia Texas
Middle TCU Oklahoma, Iowa State
Bottom OSU, KSU, TTU, KU.

Best case scenario is we sweep bottom, split with the middle and maybe get one upset in the top with most likely chance being WV at home.

Reactions: Buster28

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
This quote is a bit bothersome. In my mind, all I ask of officials is to be consistent. What is a foul on one side of the floor should be a foul on the other. But I think it becomes incumbent on the team and coach to recognize what kind of game is being called and adapt accordingly. If they are letting things go encourage the girls to be more physical on defense...........a little "cut off your nose to spite your face" to see they are allowing physical defense and refrain from it because you don't think it's right.

Not bothersome to me at all, and I disagree with CBF on many things, but he's absolutely right on this one. I officiated BB for pay, from the JUCO level down, for almost 25 years. I expect WAY more than being consistent, I expect the rules to called as written. The NFHS ( who write and administrate HS rules) has been telling HS officials for at least 10 years to clean up the game - and call MORE fouls. I think they are correct in presuming that part of the problem is coming from the AAU ranks, where games are loosely (at best) officiated. (I was told of one incident where a kid had a bone sticking out of his arm - and the officials refused to stop play) Then they expect to come to HS and play the same way, and the federation says - NO. They are having limited success.

Probably 4-5 years ago, the NCAA pretended to have a similar initiative for a few weeks, talking about freedom of movement, illegal picks, chucking and many assorted "physicalities." As we all know, this was summarily discarded during conference season. But apparently (according to CBF) they are still talking about it pre-season.

The coaches who believe in this style of play (and there are many) are trying to take advantage of most officials' disinclination to call too many fouls. We "feel" like we are interfering in the game too much (similar to offensive holding in football). Watch some NBA or NCAA games from the 70's and even 80's. It was never even close to this crap. It is not possible to make a gradual transition back to real BB. It will have to be cold turkey, and thousands of players will have to foul out. Then these wanna-be rugby coaches will have to do the adapting, not the coaches who want to believe that the NCAA is serious about cleaning up the game.

It seems such a short time ago that one of the main attractions of WBB was that it was REAL BB, with cutting and passing and team work. This garbage is unwatchable - and I won't be much longer.

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
gizzsdad is spot on as to what is happening to basketball. As to the "flopping" I was at the game (sit in row 6 on the floor) and watched the replay again this morning. I did not see any fake flopping I did see contact, body to body. Like many all I ask is to be consistent in calls that was not the case last night. There were fouls called on both teams that were touch fouls then they would go down the floor and someone is knocked to the floor and no call. Anyone who believes Ashley is flopping when she hits the floor does not know how she plays. I for one do not want us to turn into a team that beats the other team up physically, I want us to beat them by playing by the rules as written.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
“We don’t coach that way. We don’t play that way. We don’t teach hand-to-hand combat here, and that’s my fault. And that’s no one’s fault. I need to be better at that. I’m not going to do it. So, if they want someone else to coach the team to do it, they can. But I’m not doing it. I don’t believe it.”

This quote is a bit bothersome. In my mind, all I ask of officials is to be consistent. What is a foul on one side of the floor should be a foul on the other. But I think it becomes incumbent on the team and coach to recognize what kind of game is being called and adapt accordingly. If they are letting things go encourage the girls to be more physical on defense.

Now I know that doesn't exactly fit our profile, but at the same time it just feels a little "cut off your nose to spite your face" to see they are allowing physical defense and refrain from it because you don't think it's right.

Mare you saying sacrifice your principles for a win?

Help Support Us

Become a patron