WBB: Cyclones home against Texas Tech at 2:00 pm on the Plus

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
147249818_10164809823825445_1776014051338430829_n.jpg

Where: Hilton Coliseum- Ames, Iowa
When: Saturday, Feb 6 at 2 PM
Projected Starting Lineup: Kristin Scott, Ashley Joens, Kylie Feuerbach, Emily Ryan, Lexi Donarski
Radio: Cyclone Radio Network/Learfield
Talent: Noah Wolf, Jamie Steyer
TV: Big 12 Now on ESPN+
Talent: Brent Blum and Molly Parrott

The Lead
Iowa State returns to Hilton Coliseum to take on Texas Tech on Saturday, Feb. 6 at 2 p.m. on Big 12 Now on ESPN+. The Cyclones are looking for their second sweep in Big 12 action, having topped Texas Tech 99-72 in Lubbock behind a school-record 19 3-pointers. Iowa State leads the all-time series 24-15 and is 14-2 against TTU in Hilton Coliseum.

Key Storylines
  • Junior Ashley Joens is eighth in the nation in scoring, averaging 24.1 points a game. She currently ranks in the Top-15 in school history in scoring (1,435 points). Joens was most recently named to the Wooden Award Late Season Top 20 Watch List and the Cheryl Miller Award Top 10 this week.
  • Joens is one of two players in the nation averaging over 24+ points and 8.5+ rebounds per game. She has four career 30-point, 15-rebound performances. All other former Cyclones combine for three all-time.
  • Iowa State women's basketball is ranked 32nd in the NET rankings. Iowa State has played 18 games this season, which is among the top-20 in nation for games played. With three wins over the NET Top-50, Iowa State ranks tied for 10th in the nation. The Cyclones have also faced the ninth toughest schedule to date in the nation. Of teams ranked in the AP Top 25, the Cyclones rank in the top-5 in strength of schedule.
  • Kylie Feuerbach claimed her first Big 12 Freshman of the week honor after tallying 15 points, three rebounds and three steals against Baylor. Feuerbach's weekly honor is the fifth Freshman of the Week honor for te Cyclones with Lexi Donarski and Kylie Feuerbach grabbing two apiece.

Reactions: GT25Ump

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
From Texastech.com

IMG_4312.JPG

LADY RAIDER QUICK HITS
- With 28 points and 10 assists in the Lady Raider win over Kansas State, Vivian Gray not only set a career high in assists, but also became the first Big 12 player this season to record 25-plus points and 10-plus assists in a single game.

- Freshman post Khadija Faye had a breakout game in the Lady Raiders' win over Kansas State, recording 20 points and 14 rebounds--both career highs. Faye is second on the team at 1.2 blocks per game--an average that would rank seventh in the Big 12 if she had enough games under her belt.

- Junior sharpshooter Naje Murray posted one of the best shooting nights of her season on Wednesday, hitting five of seven three-point attempts to finish with 15 points on the night. Murray has been impressive in Big 12 play, hitting 19-of-46 three-point attempts to average 41.3 percent from behind the arc

- Texas Tech Lady Raider basketball senior Vivian Gray is one of 10 small forwards from around the country to be named a top-10 finalist for the Cheryl Miller Award, the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame and the Women's Basketball Coaches Association announced Wednesday. It marks Gray's second-straight year making the award's midseason top-10 list, as she was named a top-10 finalist a season ago on the way to earning honorable mention All-America honors and First Team All-Big 12 recognition for the second-consecutive season at Oklahoma State as a junior.

THE SERIES
- The Lady Raiders and Cyclones will be meeting for the 40th time in the series between the two programs.
- Tech is 15-24 all-time against Iowa State, and 2-14 against the Cyclones in Ames.
- Tech did capture the last road game in the series, however, knocking off Iowa State, 77-74, in Hilton Coliseum a season ago for the program's first win in Ames in 18 years.
- Iowa State used a hot start to defeat the Lady Raiders in the first meeting of this season, winning 99-72 in Lubbock.

ABOUT THE CYCLONES
The Iowa State Cyclones (11-7, 7-4 Big 12) enter Saturday's clash with the Lady Raiders on a two-game skid with losses at the hands of two of the Big 12's top teams in Baylor and West Virginia. The Cyclones are led by Ashley Joens, who ranks eighth nationally and leads the Big 12 in scoring at 24.1 points per game while also averaging 8.9 boards per game to rank fifth in the conference. Joens heads up a talented rotation which also includes freshmen guards Emily Ryan and Lexi Donarski, for 26th-year head coach Bill Fennelly. As a team, Iowa State is one of the top three-point shooting teams in the nation, hitting 9.7 per game to rank seventh nationally and lead the Big 12.

LAST TIME OUT
Senior Vivian Gray was her All-American self in a 28-point, six-rebound, 10-assist performance—also adding a steal and a pair of blocks. The Lady Raiders also got a breakout game from freshman post Khadija Faye.

Matched up against one of the best post players in the conference in Kansas State's Ayoka Lee, Faye was undeterred, going for career highs of 20 points and 14 rebounds on 9-of-12 shooting, while also blocking a couple of shots, swiping a steal and dishing off a pair of assists.

Gray and Faye were two of the Lady Raiders' four double-digit scorers as Najé Murray hit a season-high five threes, including a number of triples in big moments which kept the Lady Raiders afloat while Kansas State was trying to create separation. Senior Maka Jackson had 10 points and seven rebounds in the win, along with a steal.

Bryn Gerlich had six assists on the night, along with three rebounds, four points and a decisive steal in the closing seconds of regulation.

Reactions: GT25Ump

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It's a pretty cold day out and I am sorta bored with Saturday already so entertaining myself with some random pre-game musings:
  • Since their upset of the up and down Longhorns, Tech has beat the Kansas teams, lost to TCU and got thumped by Texas and WVU.
  • Even though their freshman post went huge against KSU with 20 points and 14 boards she is averaging only 5/5.
  • Not sure whether we should try and stop V. Gray or "let" her have her points and concentrate on defending everyone else straight up. I kinda liked her when I first saw her play for OSU but she's not impressed me since as a player that makes her team better. Win of lose I think her focus is on herself.
  • Tech is ranked #97 in the NCAA Net up a whopping two spots from #99.
  • Tech is 1-5 away from Lubbock and has only one good win, Texas.
  • Point of concern. Not sure we want to get into another no defense shoot out and rely on us just out scoring them with a hot quarter or two. In league play we are out scoring them but we are not much better on defense than they are. We give up 71 pts/game and they give up 76. I'd be tempted to put Wise on Gray and hound her for 30 minutes or so but I'm no coach, so just a fan musing. Gray got her 23 against us last time but IIRC those came late and well after the game was over which it was at the half. The announcers for that game were touting the Gray/Joens matchup and that never materialized with us just bombing them in the first half for 50 points on 10 for 19 three point shooting. We ended up 19 for 40 from deep.
  • We have the A Team with Brent and Molly for the TV today. Will be good to hear from them and see what Molly thinks about our recent struggles. I haven't hated hearing from the other teams broadcast peeps as much as most here seem to. I like hearing what others think about us and you can also learn about the other teams some but today is Hilton time so bring on our duo. ;)

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
Important game for the Clones here if they plan to finish no less than third in the conference. The Cyclones are a better team than Tech. This shouldn't be a loss. The Big game of course is tonight in Austin. A Tx win over WV will almost hand the title to Baylor. Whereas a WV win will put them in solid 2nd place and the game in Waco on the 17th could be a battle for supremacy. A win in Waco by WV would throw it into a two way tie. But a loss will all but close the door. I plan to watch both of these games today. Very interested in their outcome.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and GT25Ump

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Important game for the Clones here if they plan to finish no less than third in the conference. The Cyclones are a better team than Tech. This shouldn't be a loss. The Big game of course is tonight in Austin. A Tx win over WV will almost hand the title to Baylor. Whereas a WV win will put them in solid 2nd place and the game in Waco on the 17th could be a battle for supremacy. A win in Waco by WV would throw it into a two way tie. But a loss will all but close the door. I plan to watch both of these games today. Very interested in their outcome.

Well, poop, would like to watch that but, of course, it's on that damn Longhorn Network. :mad:

Everybody in for Big 12 TV on the ESPN's except Texas LHN and Oklahoma and their Fox Okie homer station. At least the Big 10 doesn't have special TV rules, it's all on BTN or BTN+.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
It seems we’ve not gotten our FT mojo back yet.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Love it when the show a replay and the person clearly travels. TT layup should not have counted.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
The most impressive thing is that our freshman really don't get bullied off the ball on either end. Baylor basically assaulted them on every play. This must feel like a walk in the park:)

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
You mean...at least the Big Ten doesn't let one school make their own rules...

Not a great statement after they changed 77 rules to get Ohio State in the cfp.

Ohio State runs that conference in every way shape and form