WBB: Cyclones at Okie State 1:00 Saturday on ESPN+

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
image_handler.aspx

Where: Gallagher-Iba Arena - Stillwater, Oklahoma
When: Saturday, Feb 20 at 1 PM
Projected Starting Lineup: Kristin Scott, Ashley Joens, Aubrey Joens, Emily Ryan, Lexi Donarski
Radio: Cyclone Radio Network/Learfield
Talent: Noah Wolf, Jamie Steyer
TV: Big 12 Now on ESPN+
Talent: Mike Wolfe, Bryndon Manzer

The Lead
Iowa State is looking for its third-straight win and its fourth sweep in Big 12 play when it takes on Oklahoma State on the road on Saturday at 1 p.m. on Big 12 Now on ESPN+. Oklahoma State leads the all-time series 36-33, but ISU has won the last five, earning back-to-back sweeps over the Cowgirls. Iowa State is looking for its 11th win in league play for the 10th time in school history.

Key Storylines

• Preseason All-American Ashley Joens is eighth in the nation in scoring, averaging 23.6 points a game. She currently ranks 11th in school history in scoring (1,521 points), and is the 11th player to reach 1,500 career points in school history. She is also the first active junior to reach 1,500 this season.
  • Joens is one of two players in the nation averaging over 23+ points and 9.0+ rebounds per game.
  • For the third-straight season, Iowa State has won 10 or more Big 12 games (2019-20, 10-8 and 2020-21, 13-5).
  • Iowa State women's basketball is ranked 32nd in the NET rankings. Iowa State has played 22 games this season, which is among the top-20 in nation for games played, 11 of which have been on the road. The Cyclones have also faced the 15th toughest schedule to date in the nation. Of teams ranked in the AP Top 25, the Cyclones rank in the top-6 in strength of schedule.
  • Cyclone freshmen have claimed six of the Big 12's 12 Freshman of the Week honors, with Lexi Donarski (3), Emily Ryan (2) and Kylie Feuerbach (1) earning top honors.
  • Feuerbach, Donarski, Ryan and Aubrey Joens all rank in the top-12 in scoring among freshmen in the Big 12.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
It's the Cowgirls' Senior Day, which is like a double-edged sword. They could be either pretty pumped and ready to play, or too excited and press too hard.

Our personnel change since the last time we played them: Kristin is in, Maggie is out.

Here's some of my "what to watch for" random thoughts:

1) Ashley vs Mack (or Tenderloin vs Big Mac, just kidding): winner of the matchup might just cement the Big12 Player of the Year award. Are we going to see another 30 vs 30 performance? Last time we had no answer to Mack on the defensive end. Hopefully, this time Kristin and Maddie can contain her with the help of others. It's going to be a group effort (wolfpack vs lion ;) ).

2) Lexi vs Asberry: Last time Lexi did a great job guarding Asberry (she only scored 7 pts). I trust she's up to the task. If Lexi continues her offensive hot streak, she will win her fourth Big12 Freshman of the Week award come Monday.

3) If we can hold Mack + Asberry's scoring total under 35, we will have a great winning chance. Can we somehow find a way to get Mack into foul trouble? Ashley, please stay out of foul trouble. We will probably need you more than ever down the stretch.

4) Last time we dropped 16 bombs from behind the arc. Not sure if we would duplicate the same outcome but good perimeter shooting should be the top key for the win. Maddie, Rae, Aubrey and Kylie, will you be the unsung heroes?

5) Mack only got 2 blocks last time because Maddie did a great job drawing her to the perimeter a lot so we could attack the basket. It'd be interesting to see if OSU plans to keep her in the paint more to defend our driving attacks but leave our shooters more open. We need to adjust quickly to whatever defense they throw at us.

6) Don't forget Keys. The OSU side of Lexy will be on the Big12 all-freshman team when all is said and done. Emily and co. please hold the Keys and don't lose it.;)

7) Defense, defense, and defense. The last meeting was a high-scoring affair. Jim Littell said after the match he didn't like playing that style so it might as well be a defense battle this time. The first team to score 65 wins the game?

8) Free throws might decide the game. ISU leads the Big12 in free throw percentage by a large margin and OSU is dead last (82% vs 67%). We have been fantastic on the free-throw line in the past two games and I hope that trend continues. Also, I don't mind if we could play aggressive defense and foul them selectively in the late game situations to see if they could earn those freebies.

The team knows what's at stake and they are up to the challenge. I'm sending good vibes to the team. Bring out the broom. Let's go Twister Sisters!

Last edited:
Reactions: Neptune78

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
5 FG attempts is all? Can’t score if you don’t shoot.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Ashley looks terrible on offense. Gets the ball and always wants to dribble in traffic. One of those turnover games for her

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
It’s been a while since I’ve seen a team that gets left behind as much as our players do on defense. And add to the mess...we are a turnover machine today. When you can’t play D and the offense is missing...recipe for a butt whooping.

Reactions: dkdean

dkdean

Mar 19, 2011
Texas
The defense has been terrible or non-existent the last so many games. I don’t know what happened but it’s been bad and keeps getting worse.