WBB Big 12 Standings

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
With 6 games left to go....

Only 4 of 10 teams have a winning record.

Texas and Baylor are each undefeated in conference, and 2 of their 6 games are playing each other.

ISU is in 6th place, a 1/2 game ahead of TCU, Tech, and OSU.

Making the "dance" Some had said they thought ISU was NIT bound, but the dance is not out of reach.
  1. ISU needs to win at least 4 of the last 6, and get to 8-10 on the conference. 8-10 Big 12 teams have made the dance in the past, so there is precedence.
  2. ISU needs to win at least the first game of the Big 12 tourney, 1st round, or 2nd. Two of course would be ideal.
  3. Either in the rest of the non-con, or in the Big 12 tourney, ISU needs a signature win over KSU, Baylor or Texas.
  4. Another win over WV at home would likely give ISU the chance to finish 4th.
  5. If ISU is on the bubble, the Drake win will look really good.
  6. RPI is current at 71.
Now, I'm not saying this is probable, but possible. What are other's thoughts?

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
The UNI game is a solid win and the close losses add a tiny bit of luster to the package. So far the key wins are against KSU and WVU. WVU bigger since it was on the road, but will the shine go dull on those if we don't close out the series with each?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
FYI, the two top and undefeated Big 12 teams are on FS1 national TV tonight at 7:00. Texas at Baylor.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
If RealTimeRPI is to be believed...

Losses: Miss St (4), Baylor (5, twice), Texas (9), Oklahoma (18, twice), Iowa (51), OSU (56), Tech (61), TCU (124)

Good wins: KSU (19), Drake (32), UNI (57), WVU (63)

Rest of the regular season:
at KSU (19), Tech (61), WVU (63), at KU (153), at Texas (9), OSU (56)

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
I would guess that 4 - 2 in the last 6 games would be as good as one could expect from this team. Considering they lost 8 of the 1st 12 conference games. It's easy to look at the last win and believe they are finally over the hump.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I would guess that 4 - 2 in the last 6 games would be as good as one could expect from this team. Considering they lost 8 of the 1st 12 conference games. It's easy to look at the last win and believe they are finally over the hump.

You have to figure KSU and Texas are likely losses, even though we beat KSU earlier in the year. Other than that, it's three home games against beatable teams and a road game against Kansas. I'd be happy with 3-3, and doing better than 4-2 would be unexpected.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Texas up by 12 over Baylor in Waco. Texas has looked really really good (so far).

Some of the best players in the country on the court and yet neither team will likely be able to challenge UCONN. :(

Edit: Brooke McCarty is the best pint-sized player in the country. Amazing for a diminutive 5'-4" gal.

Last edited:

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
You beat me to posting on the remaining six games. Three wins looks doable. Plus a good run in the Big Twelve Tourney would be great lead-in to post season play.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Texas up by 12 over Baylor in Waco. Texas has looked really really good (so far).

Some of the best players in the country on the court and yet neither team will likely be able to challenge UCONN. :(

Edit: Brooke McCarty is the best pint-sized player in the country. Amazing for a diminutive 5'-4" gal.
Yuck who to root with Texas up 4 with 29 seconds left.and Baylor with the ball

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Texas upsets BU 85-79. Super skilled small guards can be a big asset. Nia has some of those skills of great ball control and difficult to keep her in front of you.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Texas upsets BU 85-79. Super skilled small guards can be a big asset. Nia has some of those skills of great ball control and difficult to keep her in front of you.

Well shucks hoping for the BU win mainly because of Horns arrogance in all sports, and also got to meet Geewago and he is a nice person/poster.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Well shucks hoping for the BU win mainly because of Horns arrogance in all sports, and also got to meet Geewago and he is a nice person/poster.

Baylor's won like a ton of titles in a row now, they are the Kansas of Big 12 WBB and I am looking for someone else at the top. Geewago notwithstanding, cause he's cool with me. Like what he adds here since he's a fan of the league and keeps on all the teams.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
It's all good. These Baylor girls have been playing without much intensity quite a bit lately. They actually play better on the road than they do at home. Compare their games with WVU, ISU, KSU and even KU whom they have played twice. In every case they did better away. That's really odd. At WV they won by 35, at home only by 6. KSU they won by 46, at home by 30. ISU they won by 31 on the road but by 26 at home. They just have to learn to play 4 qrts.

TX shot better than they ever have last night. The refs were pathetic, but whats new. But the main problem was sleepwalking for an entire half and then trying to dig out of a hole. Our top 2 players didn't score a single point in the first half. They came back in the 2nd and played like giants but too late. Do not be surprised at all if they don't take the 2nd game in Austin.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
It's all good. These Baylor girls have been playing without much intensity quite a bit lately. They actually play better on the road than they do at home. Compare their games with WVU, ISU, KSU and even KU whom they have played twice. In every case they did better away. That's really odd. At WV they won by 35, at home only by 6. KSU they won by 46, at home by 30. ISU they won by 31 on the road but by 26 at home. They just have to learn to play 4 qrts.

TX shot better than they ever have last night. The refs were pathetic, but whats new. But the main problem was sleepwalking for an entire half and then trying to dig out of a hole. Our top 2 players didn't score a single point in the first half. They came back in the 2nd and played like giants but too late. Do not be surprised at all if they don't take the 2nd game in Austin.

I'm not a fan of Aston's style of ball, as I was not a fan of her predecessor's either. I'm really upset that Kim let her team get Texas any sort of bragging rights in this conference.

Not that I am a fan of some of Kim's recruiting tactics, but boy, I am impressed she gets some of her players to play really hard. If I was putting a team together using Big 12 players, Kristi Wallace and Nina Davis would be on my team.

I so wish ISU WBB could return to be a top of the league competitor, but even Kim has to be freaking over the recruiting Karen has been doing.

If anything is Aston's downfall, is she, like TN, puts too much value in post play. While I wish ISU had just one of them, it will be her downfall against the likes against more balanced teams.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Might be clutching at straws, but I find hope that the game at KSU follows a win meaning good attitude and follows a day off meaning lots of preparation. CBF and staff get the Sisters to play up a level with extra time to prepare.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Texas up by one in OT at #4 Florida State. 55 Seconds. Might be a new sheriff in town able to beat Baylor for the conference.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Texas ended up taking this one in 2OT, 92-88. Box score shows more people there (Tallahassee) than what it looked on tv (3600), which is pretty sad for a #4 vs #8 matchup.

I was watching and four Longhorns fouled out. They were lucky they still had McCarty in. Think she played every minute.

• Agree
Reactions: Buster28

Help Support Us

Become a patron