***WBB: CYCLONE 2023 Recruiting Thread***

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Present AND future. No OU or UT.

Looked her up, see she's only just up the road from OSU. That's pretty convenient if family wants to see her play in person. Other than that, we are currently the best team of the five.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Tracy Gahan and Fallon Ellis come to mind. Granted, Tracy had ISU ties and was a long time ago, and Ellis wasn't highly recruited (although she had some great moments at ISU).

EDIT: Forgot Kidd! She was a great contributor from the lone star state. Also, Jade Thurmon (both high school and juco in Texas).

EDIT 2: I'm going back through the rosters. Some players who never or barely saw the court (McBride, Mays), or weren't rotation players (Ricketts). Chassidy Cole is another solid contributor who, like Jade Thurmon, went to both high school and juco in Texas.

EDIT 3: I forgot Whitney Williams was from Texas. She was good but struggled to crack the starting lineup.

Didn't Whitney end up finishing her career at TCU?

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Quick report from game on Friday, 12/10/21, at City High School Little Hawk Arena, featuring #2 Waterloo West at #4 Iowa City High. As I walked in around 7:15PM, basically the entire ISU women's staff was right behind me, including Bill, Billy, Jodi Steyer and Latoja Schaben. They were present to see Class of 2023 players Kelsey Joens (commit) and Sahara Williams (offer).

In a game which would never be described as "aesthetically pleasing", City High outlasted Waterloo West, 48-46. Kelsey Joens led the way with 23 points, but she took a boatload of shots, had too many turnovers and missed three of four free throws in the final 90 seconds. She's a taller (5'10) version of Aubrey with a pretty three ball and massive range. She's willing to drive but wasn't very effective doing so last night. Not wanting to finish sounding negative, she appears fearless, is even-keeled and will be a nice Cyclone in a couple years!

Sahara Williams looks like a "woman amongst girls" on the court and appeared taller than her listed 5'10. She moves well, hit multiple three balls and got to the hole whenever she wanted to. Unfortunately for her, the basket had a lid last night, as her drives weren't falling. She was visibly frustrated and showed more than a little attitude, though I'll not hold that against her - she's a high school junior! I came away impressed as she appears to have an all-around game and I hope ISU is still in the recruiting mix!

To my unskilled eye, the best player on the floor last night was WW's smallish (maybe 5'4) PG Halli Poock. She had a nice three ball, appears adept with either hand, was unselfish and plays decent defense. I think she led all scorers (very efficient on a limited # of shots) and almost won the game when her running three-pointer rimmed out as time expired. Unfortunately, you can't teach height and she'll probably star for UNI or Drake in the years to come.

As a final observation for what it's worth, I witnessed brief post-game greetings between the ISU staff and the Joens family, but I didn't see the ISU staff speak with anybody in WW apparel.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Quick report from game on Friday, 12/10/21, at City High School Little Hawk Arena, featuring #2 Waterloo West at #4 Iowa City High. As I walked in around 7:15PM, basically the entire ISU women's staff was right behind me, including Bill, Billy, Jodi Steyer and Latoja Schaben. They were present to see Class of 2023 players Kelsey Joens (commit) and Sahara Williams (offer).

In a game which would never be described as "aesthetically pleasing", City High outlasted Waterloo West, 48-46. Kelsey Joens led the way with 23 points, but she took a boatload of shots, had too many turnovers and missed three of four free throws in the final 90 seconds. She's a taller (5'10) version of Aubrey with a pretty three ball and massive range. She's willing to drive but wasn't very effective doing so last night. Not wanting to finish sounding negative, she appears fearless, is even-keeled and will be a nice Cyclone in a couple years!

Sahara Williams looks like a "woman amongst girls" on the court and appeared taller than her listed 5'10. She moves well, hit multiple three balls and got to the hole whenever she wanted to. Unfortunately for her, the basket had a lid last night, as her drives weren't falling. She was visibly frustrated and showed more than a little attitude, though I'll not hold that against her - she's a high school junior! I came away impressed as she appears to have an all-around game and I hope ISU is still in the recruiting mix!

To my unskilled eye, the best player on the floor last night was WW's smallish (maybe 5'4) PG Halli Poock. She had a nice three ball, appears adept with either hand, was unselfish and plays decent defense. I think she led all scorers (very efficient on a limited # of shots) and almost won the game when her running three-pointer rimmed out as time expired. Unfortunately, you can't teach height and she'll probably star for UNI or Drake in the years to come.

As a final observation for what it's worth, I witnessed brief post-game greetings between the ISU staff and the Joens family, but I didn't see the ISU staff speak with anybody in WW apparel.
Poock is really really good. She is a 4 year starter.

You are correct / she will haunt us someday.