***WBB: CYCLONE 2023 Recruiting Thread***

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Another new name on the list: Matilda Ekh, 6'0" sophomore G/F out of Michigan State.

Her stats are very consistent between her two years: 11.8 ppg both years, 39% 3pt shooter both years (69/175, 69/179), 43% FG shooter both years. Her minutes went down from 34.0 to 27.5. She was HM all-big 10 both years.

She's originally from Sweden -- she did not play vs ISU at the Phil Knight Invitational due to Swedish national team obligations.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Two new players on the list:

Charlotte Kohl: 6'5" center from Mississippi State. 2 years left. Stats make her look like additional post depth more than anything else.

Abby Feit: 6'1" G/F from Evansville. 1 year left. Averaged around 15 ppg and 8 rpg each of her four seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: WartburgClone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I only follow the Cyclone women games and not roster projection. Would be curios thoughts of folks who track player progress.

Gonna assume Ryan, Fritz & Donarski are all returning next year and projected to start. What roles are expected for Diew, Dawkins and Zingaro? Does the coaching staff expect any of the freshman to start next year?

Just looking at game action, seems like we need to add a 3 point shooting guard and center in the portal. About the same as the men.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Gonna assume Ryan, Fritz & Donarski are all returning next year and projected to start. What roles are expected for Diew, Dawkins and Zingaro? Does the coaching staff expect any of the freshman to start next year?
With Ryan/Donarski/Fritz starting at 1-3, I assume the starting 4 and 5 spots will come down to Diew, Zingaro, and the three tall freshmen (Brown/Crooks/Bristow). I would not be surprised to see a freshman start, but I couldn't tell you which one -- if I absolutely had to pick one, probably Brown.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
With Ryan/Donarski/Fritz starting at 1-3, I assume the starting 4 and 5 spots will come down to Diew, Zingaro, and the three tall freshmen (Brown/Crooks/Bristow). I would not be surprised to see a freshman start, but I couldn't tell you which one -- if I absolutely had to pick one, probably Brown.
I've always been more impressed with Bristow's game than Brown's. Bristow is not like any player we've ever had. She reminds me of Carlton, only more athletic with a better handle. Carlton, 2.0, if you will. I think she could play PG if push came to shove. I am, however, not the best judge of talent. Brown is also very good too, don't get me wrong. I don't know who she reminds me of. I don't think we've ever had a player like her either. I would say that Crooks is the least likely to start, but she will see playing time, I predict, and may eventually be too good not to start. It's a good problem to have.

Reactions: acoustimac

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Interesting name added to the list: Lauren Ware, a 6'5" post from U of Arizona. She was ESPN's #26 recruit in 2020. She missed the entire 22-23 season with a knee injury, so that plus COVID means she could have as many as three years remaining.

She was a likely starter next season, but Arizona has a bunch of players hitting the portal.

Last edited:

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Interesting name added to the list: Lauren Ware, a 6'5" post from U of Arizona. She was ESPN's #26 recruit in 2020. She missed the entire 22-23 season with a knee injury, so that plus COVID means she could have as many as three years remaining.

She was a likely starter next season, but Arizona has a bunch of players hitting the portal.
A positive for us is she is from South Dakota

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines

And people on this board get upset when we have one or two players leave.

Reactions: NWICY and kcdc4isu

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Adia Barnes doesn't seem like a pleasant person to be around.
She was the "hot" coach after making that run to the national championship game. Looks like the shine has worn off, and things aren't as good as they seem in Tuscon. Bill gets criticized on this board for being tough on players, but we have never seen that kind of mass exodus.

Adia Barnes, who recently completed her seventh season as coach, lost seven players to the transfer portal last season and four more reportedly have chosen that route this year so far.

Last edited:

Cysister

Mar 18, 2008
Dubuque, IA

I checked your great recruiting posts. She was on our list out of high school but we didn’t make her top 5. Is there any hope it would be different now?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The Athletic has a list of the top players in the portal which they appear to keep updated as new news comes in:

Right now, Ware is #1, Hottinger is #2, Ekh is #13.
She would be a great get and would give Crooks strong competition in practice to aid her development.

Sounds like she has had a tough time with knee injuries. Hurt 1 knee in HS and missed her senior year. Then hurt other knee fall of 2021 and re-injured last fall.

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022
She was the "hot" coach after making that run to the national championship game. Looks like the shine has worn off, and things aren't as good as they seem in Tuscon. Bill gets criticized on this board for being tough on players, but we have never seen that kind of mass exodus.

Adia Barnes, who recently completed her seventh season as coach, lost seven players to the transfer portal last season and four more reportedly have chosen that route this year so far.

Also:

Seems like a person who doesn't hide her emotions, meaning if she doesn't like you she'll make sure you know it.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
She would be a great get and would give Crooks strong competition in practice to aid her development.

Sounds like she has had a tough time with knee injuries. Hurt 1 knee in HS and missed her senior year. Then hurt other knee fall of 2021 and re-injured last fall.
The HS injury was an ACL. This more recent one was a dislocated kneecap which was rehabbed without surgery at first, then surgically fixed after she did it again. Since those two injuries are completely unrelated, I'll chalk it up to bad luck.

Reactions: acoustimac

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
A positive for us is she is from South Dakota
If you are speaking of Ware she is actually from Bismarck, N. Dakota.

With the mention of Ware entering the portal, my mind is sort of sidetracked onto another South Dakota (?) player. We were recruiting her about the same time, or earlier and she was of Native American ancestry. She eventually went to a smaller school somewhere. I know this is out there but does anyone recall her name?

Last edited:

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
If you are speaking of Ware she is actually from Bismarck, N. Dakota.

With the mention of Ware entering the portal, my mind is sort of sidetracked onto another South Dakota (?) player. We were recruiting her about the same time, or earlier and she was of Native American ancestry. She eventually went to a smaller school somewhere. I know this is out there but does anyone recall her name?
Sorry I got my Dakotas mixed up there really should just be Dakota as not much difference between them.