Ways to help the overwhelmed medical field

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
I thought it might be nice to have a place to post links to or examples of ways to help. And I worry that just posting links in the other threads will result in them getting buried due to how fast those threads are moving.

I feel like a lot of people want to help, but are concerned about coming into contact with the virus in the process. Humans are a creative bunch and I’m sure there will be many ideas generated to share.

Mods: If this should be merged into another thread, please do so.

Reactions: Acylum

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Nurses, doctors, first responders can’t stay home and they will be running out of necessary supplies soon.

If there are ways to help, while still practicing social distancing, then those ideas should be shared here.
I'm saying the best thing the average person can do to help overwhelmed healthcare system is to stay home.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
I'm saying the best thing the average person can do to help overwhelmed healthcare system is to stay home.
Yes. Absolutely agree

But if there are things that healthy and non infected folks can do from home instead of just watching TV, then those things will help too.

Last edited:

baller21

Mar 15, 2009

These would only be for personal use wouldn’t they? Seems like the most important thing anyone can do right now is stay home as much as possible and limit the spread.

Checked out the link and I guess they can be washed/sanitized.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
These would only be for personal use wouldn’t they? Seems like the most important thing anyone can do right now is stay home as much as possible and limit the spread.

Checked out the link and I guess they can be washed/sanitized.
I’ve seen a lot of postings from hospitals requesting them. They will inspect, sanitize, and distribute them.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Cannot find a source for the .3 micron filter fabric
Duda Energy Sheets:5u 1 yd. x 72" Singed Polyester Felt Filter Media Fabric Sheet, 5 Micron, Polyester

Not sure if .5 micron can be substituted.

Last edited:

ISUEmbassy

Jun 13, 2014
Cloth masks are better than nothing, but inferior to N95 masks.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4420971/

Our hospital has issued us each ONE N95 mask. That's all we get (for now). They are not intended to be reused, but we will until they are noticeably soiled.

Best way to help is to stay home and not even do groups less than 10, just stay home. Or you could consider donating any N95 masks you might have

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
Cloth masks are better than nothing, but inferior to N95 masks.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4420971/

Our hospital has issued us each ONE N95 mask. That's all we get (for now). They are not intended to be reused, but we will until they are noticeably soiled.

Best way to help is to stay home and not even do groups less than 10, just stay home. Or you could consider donating any N95 masks you might have

Dropped off a few at Mary Greeley this afternoon. Hopefully they are of some help. Going to check my work storage unit for more this week.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
As medical professional the biggest thing you can do is stay home. Grocery store every two weeks or less frequent. Take walks or runs alone. Assume anything you touch outside your home is contaminated. Assume everyone you come across or interact with has it and could kill you or your loved ones and keep your distance accordingly. We won’t need ineffective and completely inappropriate homemade masks if everyone does this. Every time you come in for a test you don’t need you expose a nurse and use up protective equipment that is in very short supply. If you have minor symptoms isolate from your household but you don’t need a test, assume you have it. If you want to do something from home then pressure your representatives for action on medical supplies and equipment.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
24 hour affordable daycare for health care workers children.
I work with a couple daycare centers. Most places already struggle to fill their positions for the "normal" hours let alone going additional hours.

The State of Minnesota I believe is stepping in to help foot the bill for emergency personnel to get child care. Problem is the centers for the most part already operate at near capacity limits so they don't have a lot of excess to bring in the kids who should be going to school and can't.

I think (but could be wrong) that Mayo has converted some of their space into daycare space for employee's children to try and keep them working without having to worry about daycare. Problem in my mind is those front line people are the most likely to spread it and once one of those kids gets it it'll go through the rest like wildfire.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I work with a couple daycare centers. Most places already struggle to fill their positions for the "normal" hours let alone going additional hours.

The State of Minnesota I believe is stepping in to help foot the bill for emergency personnel to get child care. Problem is the centers for the most part already operate at near capacity limits so they don't have a lot of excess to bring in the kids who should be going to school and can't.

I think (but could be wrong) that Mayo has converted some of their space into daycare space for employee's children to try and keep them working without having to worry about daycare. Problem in my mind is those front line people are the most likely to spread it and once one of those kids gets it it'll go through the rest like wildfire.
The Minnesota schools are supposed to provide child care for essential workers.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUAgronomist