Wayne Stanley

clone4sure

Sep 5, 2014
I listened to an audio clip of how things were under Johnny Majors and Earle Bruce in the 70's. They were both tough and fair with the players and had good results from being that way. I see coach Campbell as being the same way. any thoughts ?

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I listened to an audio clip of how things were under Johnny Majors and Earle Bruce in the 70's. They were both tough and fair with the players and had good results from being that way. I see coach Campbell as being the same way. any thoughts ?

I mentioned to an Ex ISU football player from the Walden Era that I thought coach Campbell reminded me of Earle Bruce and he, at least partially agreed with me.......He also said that CMC has invited the old ISU players to practice...which I think is a nice touch

One thing I do believe and told my friend was that Campbell will be gone in five years either dismissed/ fired or call it whatever or he will be at ..........

Oh let me see, either Pittsburgh, Ohio State, or maybe even Auburn and he will then probably win a Natl Champ at said school of his choice.......3 ex ISU coaches with 2 natl championships isnt bad and thats the future for coach Matt Campbell

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
This dude?

17768-43e08f003e0f678d39695f8a63fef6f9.jpg

Attachments

• Wayne Stanley.jpeg
    Wayne Stanley.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 7

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
If he builds something here, there's no reason to leave unless an Ohio State, Texas, Alabama comes calling.

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015

nope.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Different era and what was allowed is different as well. No- not even close to being alike in demeanor. Bruce was confrontational, direct, profane and it was 100% his way-He coached like his mentor Woody Hayes. Players like Tom Randall butted heads with Coach Bruce often. They grew a strong affection for Coach Bruce afterwards when he followed up with them often to see how they were doing in life-but no, Coach Bruce would not have won any popularity contests at the time. As mentioned- he was a true, caring educator and followed up and stayed in touch often

This staff has more of a Majors vibe to it- minus the HOF staff of guys like Avezanno, Sherrill, Johnston etc...

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
I mentioned to an Ex ISU football player from the Walden Era that I thought coach Campbell reminded me of Earle Bruce and he, at least partially agreed with me.......He also said that CMC has invited the old ISU players to practice...which I think is a nice touch

One thing I do believe and told my friend was that Campbell will be gone in five years either dismissed/ fired or call it whatever or he will be at ..........

Oh let me see, either Pittsburgh, Ohio State, or maybe even Auburn and he will then probably win a Natl Champ at said school of his choice.......3 ex ISU coaches with 2 natl championships isnt bad and thats the future for coach Matt Campbell
:confused:

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Hopefully Campbell brings us a #2 nationally ranked offense as well! And 3 straight 8 win seasons.

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
Having met Campbell now, and having met Coach Bruce many times, I have to say first impressions do not match. I remember Bruce storming onto the field during practice yelling at a DLineman to get up after the play. The training staff had brought out a board and the medical equipment. Bruce grabbed the board and kicked it toward the sidelines yelling at the player the whole time. The player got up and walked to the sideline. In the office Bruce was a well liked person, but with his players, as said before, it was his way or be gone.

I never played for Bruce, so I don't know the man outside of seeing him at practice. I don't know how he treated the players after practice or after graduation.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I thought it was funny that Wayne almost forgot to mention Buddy Hardeman when he was listing all of the stars from the mid 70s teams. Didn't surprise me in a way as I remember quite a few discussions between them regarding who was 'the man' on those great Cyclone teams.