***WAY TOO EARLY prediction for ISU football 2012***

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I don't think it will be easy to replace some of the seniors that are leaving. Leonard Johnson is one of the top CBs in the Big 12 and an NFL player. Those type of CBs are hard to replace. You don't often get CB's who can cover top receivers and shut them down.
They will lose three DL's, Benton, and two NFL draft picks on the Oline. I don't think the loss of Reynolds and Darks will be that bad because some of the younger receivers are probably just as good.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Iowa is always really tough at home, and Texas is going to be very good next year. Their D will likely be the best in the Big 12, and their QBs are going to improve.

Still, that schedule looks a lot nicer than this years, especially with another B12 home game. Looks like 6-6 again or 7-5 to me.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I'll have what you're having lol

I believe RGIII will be back. He's getting his doctorate or something.

While that could very well be true, he could easily still do that after going pro. Robert Smith (former Vikings RB) comes to mind.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Cyclonefanatic: 8-9 wins
Media/pre-season predictions: 2-10 as always

but i think we have a chance to go 8-4 i really do

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Everyone in this thread says Texas is going to be better/tougher/harder next year.

Every publication I've read says Texas is not going to be as good next year as they were this year. Their final record says they weren't up to Texas standards. People are saying it's time for Mack Brown to go.

Which is it?

My optimism is telling me the Cyclones make it two Ws in a row at DKR.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
I'm predicting 15-0. We run the table, win the yet-to-be announced Big12 championship game, NCG, then for the heck of it we challenge the Packers for national dominance. (We win that one in OT).
Pro or College OT?

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
I think it will stay at 50k or more unless Rhoads leaves at some point in future.
I think you will be paying face value for tickets and may have problems getting them at that. Better get season tickets. 53,500+ every game

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I don't think it will be easy to replace some of the seniors that are leaving. Leonard Johnson is one of the top CBs in the Big 12 and an NFL player. Those type of CBs are hard to replace. You don't often get CB's who can cover top receivers and shut them down.
They will lose three DL's, Benton, and two NFL draft picks on the Oline. I don't think the loss of Reynolds and Darks will be that bad because some of the younger receivers are probably just as good.

I actually don't think we are going to be in a bad spot with the seniors we are losing.

I think Jeremy Reeves has played really well and will thrive as the "lockdown" corner next year. Jansen Watson is waiting in the wings, he's been playing his butt off on special teams and I think he steps up and beats out Stokes and the others for the second CB spot next year.

We are stacked at safety behind Benton with Brackens, Givens, Broomfield, Morgan and Brooks coming back, and from everything coach has said, Washington is a great leader back there.

DLine we've been playing upto 9 players, so we'll have 6 coming back with experience, which is invaluable.

Same on the OLine, where I'd guess the starters next year are Burris-Tuftee-Farniok-Gannon-Bykowski. That's a pretty good bunch, with some decent depth behind them. Personally, I think consistency at the center position is huge, and our O-line play will be good as long as Tom Farniok is on the field.

Money hasn't played great this year, but he's one I'm not sure who is going to step up and stretch the field with height like he doesn. Hopefully Bundage can fill that role. It'll be interesting to see how good Bundage and Daniels are, since they were mentioned as maybe playing as true freshman, and then they didn't.

Ok, that's my rose-colored glasses look at replacing seniors.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
With a huge win against Rutgers in the bowl game, Iowa State ended last season with a 7-5 record. They get 4 votes in the media poll and 2 votes in the coaches poll.

Tulsa - Cyclones start the year off dominating Tulsa to a 42-17 victory.

12 votes in the media and 4 in the coaches

@ #25 Iowa - Off of two huge wins for both of these teams, and the revealing of the new Cy-Hawk series trophy - THE CORN BELT, this is one of the most hyped Iowa/Iowa State game in the last decade. It gets a segment on ESPN College Gameday (huge for media points) and is shown on ESPN2. Iowa comes out roaring to a 20-0 halftime lead. Barnett is shaken up a few times and comes out at halftime fired up with a classic CPR speech. First play of the half is a deep pass which goes for a huge touchdown. Iowa fumbles on the next play and another pass into the endzone. 20-14. Iowa State continues its second half dominance. Needless to say, Iowa State wins 28-23.

Western Illinois - #24 Iowa State, the first ranking for CPR comes out firing against Western Illinois. 38-7. Barnett another huge game. Next day gets ranked #21.

@ #18 Texas - #25 Iowa State (Lost votes because we didn't play for 2 weeks). Texas remembers this game very well two years ago, out to protect their home turf. Iowa State, getting badly beat last year wants to prove they belong in the upper tier of the Big 12 and the top 25. An extremely entertaining game with back and forth scoring and huge defensive plays. We stop Texas on the two yard line to win at Texas 28-24. Huge publicity that night on ESPN and all sports outlets. 4-0 Iowa State!

Baylor - #18 Iowa State's family weekend. Baylor lost Heisman trophy winner Robert Griffin III. Iowa State continues rolling in a game not as close as the score indicates. 27-17. 5-0 Iowa State

West Virginia - #16 Iowa State adds another punch to West Virginia's welcome to the big 12 making them 0-3 in conference play. Iowa State wins HUGE! 42-3 6-0 for Iowa State

@ #22 TCU - #12 Iowa State comes into Fort Worth with something to prove... they they aren't a fluke this year. TCU looking for its 4th straight win against the Cyclones. Iowa State struggles throughout the whole game. Start of the 4th quarter Iowa State is down by 14. The defense finally awakens and makes a tremendous turnover and a huge runback to the Red Zone. Iowa State scores on its second try. 31-24 TCU up. TCU does a long, time consuming drive and tacks on a field goal. 34-24 TCU with 7minutes remaining. James White runs back the kick off for a touchdown! 34-31 TCU still up. With another time consuming drive milking 5 minutes off the clock, they couldn't score a touchdown, opting for a field goal instead. 37-31. With a HEISMAN like finish, Barnett marches the Cyclones down for a touchdown with 12 seconds remaining! Cyclones win a thriller 38-37.

@Kansas - #10 Iowa State coming off an emotional victory against TCU and its shiny new Top 10 ranking, and a trap game with Oklahoma the following week. Iowa State squeeks by with a 17-13 victory. 9-0 Iowa State!

#3 Oklahoma - #8 Iowa State. College Gameday makes its first ever trip to Ames Iowa for the only top 10 matchup in the country. Jack Trice is absolutely PACKED. Largest crowd in stadium history on a brisk early November night. Oklahoma crumbles in the second half with the Sirens, the "Cyclone Power"'s, and Barnett having the game of his life. 400 yards passing and 100 yards rushing. Vaulting him to the top of the Heisman voting. Iowa State wins 49-27.

@ #16 Oklahoma State - #3 Iowa State with its highest ranking ever goes into Stillwater looking to repeat last years victory. Oklahoma State is also looking to repeat last years outcome... by making National Championship hopes dissapear. Defense is never there on either side this night. It is an old school shoot out with both schools in the 40's at halftime. Whoever gets the ball last will win this one. Iowa State wins 73-66 with the highest scoring game in Iowa State and Big 12 history.

#19 Kansas State - #2 Iowa State. The Cyclones cinderella season is in full swing. Looking to beat the Wildcats for the first time in 4 tries and with a victory they supplant themselves in the National Championship game. Kansas State, playing spoiler knocks Iowa State and Heisman frontrunner Barnett in the mouth. Dominating the first quarter 14-0. Iowa States defense steps up and forces a coupe turnovers and we capitalize with two quick scores. 14-14 at halftime. The rest of the game is a defensive battle. Iowa State puts it in the hands of their new Freshman kicker a 37 yard field goal for the Big 12 championship, a shot at the national title, the glory of it all. The kick is up!..... It goes directly over the right upright..... called NO GOOD!... 14-14 Overtime. Kansas State and Iowa State trade scores in the first overtime. 21-21. Kansas State up first in the second overtime. AJ Klein intercepts it and starts running down field. To the 20, 30, 40, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10...5.... gets tackled at the endzone... but not ruled a touchdown. Official Review. The whole stadium is quiet. Official Review is over... "The ruling on the field is overturned, Touchdown Iowa State" JTS rushes the field. Absolute pandemonium!

LSU loses in the SEC championship game, moving USC to the #2 spot and Iowa State to the #1 spot.

Barnett wins the Heisman.

National Championship - #1 Iowa State and #2 USC. I won't say anything but Iowa State Winning!!!!!

:jimlad:One can only hope right?

My real prediction? 8-4 in the regular season.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Sounds like from the WV guys on Twitter the buyout will be too steep for them to head out of the BE after this season.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Tulsa W
@Iowa L
Western Illinois W
@Texas L
Baylor W
(West Virginia) L[a]
@TCU L
Texas Tech W
@Kansas W
Oklahoma W (The Rhoads Shocker)[c]
@Oklahoma State L
Kansas State W
7-5, 5-4
[a] If this ends up as “fillerâ€￾ instead of WVa, W (hence, 8-4/4-4)
The “We’ve come to expect it!â€￾ game that could turn sour. Runner-up: Kansas (only because it’s a road game)
[c] This seems too obvious, doesn’t it?

Key swing games: Iowa, Baylor, Kansas State
Scary Overlooked Opponent: Tulsa

I hesitate to pick a win over K-State, because I keep doing it, and it almost happens, but doesn’t. :sad:

Rhoads probably needs to reach 8 wins for this program to begin truly turning heads. I think it's possible. It's probably my realistic ceiling.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
OKie State may be good, but they won't be the same Okie State that they were this year. They lose Weeden, Blackmon, Anyiam, and Cooper on offense. They lose their 2 starting DE's in Blatnick and Jones who created a bunch of TO's this year.

Lateralus

Sep 9, 2011
Just looking at it probably 7-5. You will prob beat us or it will be a close game this year in Iowa city --unless we find some d-linemen between now and then.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Anywhere from 7-9 wins. Depends on if WVU actually joins the league, if Robert Griffin goes pro, and what other teams lose/gain.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I think the athletic dept. did a wonderful job promoting this year.

I think the score board helped out a lot too. IMO

As for the next season, obviously the sky is the limit, but I see 8 wins possible.

Wins
Tulsa
Western Illinois
Tech
Kansas
Baylor
Missouri (or WVU)

I think Baylor and West Virginia (if they start next year) will be the toughest wins. Baylor without RGIII will be a win for sure. Baylor may still be scary good on offense next year if RGIII comes back, but overall I don't see as good of a year as this was for them. If RGIII leaves, Baylor will be struggling to get 6 wins. If the WV game was on the road I would throw it in the toss up category but I think we can take care of them at home.

Toss Ups
Iowa
Kansas State
Oklahoma

I think ISU will be more talented than Iowa again next year, however Iowa is still a good team. With it being rival and on the road, I think we can win, but it could go either way. KSU I also think we can beat at home next season. It has been 3 years of close loses to KSU, playing at home might be enough alone to put the Cyclones on top this time. Oklahoma is a dark horse. We have seen OU struggle at times this season. They have had some injury issues. This could be our next big upset with it being at home, but I'm not going to count on it.

Probably loses
Ok State
Texas
TCU

I think OK State is going to be pretty good again next year. I think another 10 win season is possible. Texas I think will be scary good next year as well. Has anyone seen how many Freshman and sophomores are in their 2 deep? I count 29 and they only lose 5 starters. If they can find a halfway good QB, with this game being in Austin, I don't see anyway we win and I don't think many will. TCU will be tough, especially on the road. Again, if at home I would put this in the toss up, but I just don't know if we can crack them on the road.

I think we are a lock for a bowl game, and 7 to 8 wins possible. I hope for more, but I"m not going to commit myself.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
How many games do you believe the media will have ISU winning? Peronsally I see the media having ISU favored in three games (W. Illinios, Tulsa, and Kansas) and therefore 3-9.

I see us going 7-5.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
How many games do you believe the media will have ISU winning? Peronsally I see the media having ISU favored in three games (W. Illinios, Tulsa, and Kansas) and therefore 3-9.

I could totally see that. Might get a boost because of pulling the stunner vs. OSU.

Still, nobody will think ISU can beat very many teams on the schedule

I'd guess over-under set at 4.5

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Kansas State will be good again next year (8-9 wins)
Oklahoma is better than TCU and West Virginia
OSU will be good again next year (9 wins or so)
Texas will be better next year than this year
Baylor will be down, but still about 6-7 wins
Iowa will be better next year, but not by much
Tulsa graduates a lot, but will be good. I'd say this game is similar to Nor Ill in '10
@Kansas won't be a cake walk
Glad we have texas tech at home. I see this game similiar to the '10 game
Hopefully West Virginia's QB goes pro, he's a hell of a player. I say home team wins this game and home team wins ISU vs TCU too

8-4 plus Bowl Win = 9-4
2 BCS teams would land us hopefully in the Alamo Bowl or Insight Bowl

Keys: Win at Home, Start 3-0, beat Tech, Baylor, Kansas

Last edited: