Way Too Early 2020 W/L Predictions

Lyon309Cy

Sep 5, 2010
I expect next year's team to come in humbled, embarrassed, and angry. I expect them to work and grow more this off-season than they did these past 2. I expect growing pains on the o line, but I think we have a higher ceiling.
I think this year's team acted like they were more talented than they were. We clearly didn't win in the margins, the way the '17 team did. I think Campbell will get them back to that grinding attitude. I think Riley and Rhule will be gone. I think we made KState look a lot better than they are. I think there's going to be a lack of a dominant team, and a cluster around 9-3. I think we can be in that cluster.
I hope a tough Lanning/Montgomery type leader steps up. I hope our d makes some adjustments to fit the personnel. I hope a few of the turnovers and bad breaks even out. And I hope it all makes a difference on the scoreboard.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Most of the guys that you listed are guys that the coaching staff said were surprising in practice. None of them were bragged as an instant starter. McDonald is a guy that they want to get of the field really bad this year, but he just was not getting things they way they had hoped. I expect he will be a guy that they get on the field a lot next year. I remember them also talking a lot about Mike Rose, Brock Purdy, Kolar, and a guy named Montgomery. They seemed to turn out okay.

Name-dropping a guy who quit the team isn't helping your case.

That's massive /s for you nerds out there

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
8 wins if lines play is average to above average
6 to 7 wins if the lines are on the below average side
9 wins if the lines surprise to the upside (and a better turnover +/-).

Probably lose a game or two we shouldn't and win and game or two we shouldn't.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
The media is being fed this stuff by the coaching staff.
It should come as no surprise. Anyone assuming anything less than hype has no understanding of 'capitalism'. 'Objectivity' seems to be the scarce commodity these days. Just look at all the irrational posts.
That said, here's my irrational post o_O:
USD - W
@iowa - W
UNLV - W
TT - W
@KU - W
@OSU - W
OU - L
KSU - W
@TCU - W
BU - W
@TX - L
WV - W
OH, and the new hash tag is #vendetta

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I hope that I am wrong, but I see us only winning 5 games next year. I think the offensive line will be a huge problem area. We haven't been that good there in the past few years and we loose most of the experience we did have there (which could be a good thing), but if the backups were better, they would have played. I am also concerned teams may be figuring out our defense and the scheme may have hid some of our deficiencies there. What I am most concerned about is the "mental" errors (bad turnovers, poorly timed penalties, special teams blunders) that have happened this past year. It cost us a ton of games and I am not sure how to fix this. One thing I thought is that under Campbell we would be the "smarter" team and this year we were far from it.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
South Dakota W
at Iowa L
UNLV W
Texas Tech W
at Kansas W
at Oklahoma State L
Oklahoma L
Kansas State W
at TCU L
Baylor W
at Texas L
West Virginia W

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'm not gonna come out and say we beat Iowa in IC (I'd feel slightly more confident in Ames), but you gotta think next year would be the year, no? Breaking in a new QB who will only have a handful of real-game snaps at that point in her career, playing on a pretty big stage in maybe her 2nd or 3rd collegiate game. I know Stanley beat us in his 2nd or 3rd collegiate start, but that was against a 3-9 team in Campbell's first year. Iowa also loses pieces along the D-Line and secondary, maybe elsewhere too, not really sure. I just think it's possible, but then again, almost have to see Iowa State win before you can get too carried away predicting anything other than a L.

SDSU and UNLV are easy W's, thank God.

Oklahoma State will be legit next year. I'd expect marginal improvement at the least from Tech, WVU, and even KU to an extent. KSU is KSU, Texas will probably be beatable, but I'm sure will have us circled next year in Austin. TCU is going to be better than 5-7, tho I'm not convinced a TON better. Baylor will take a step back regardless if Rhule stays or leaves. Things aligned perfectly for them this year, and regression to the mean is imminent...OU will be OU regardless of who's on the sideline. So yeah, really tough to predict anything better than a 7-5 season. I almost think I'd be happy if they were able to achieve that with so much perceived parity in the league.

I don't see our O-Line being better next year, and that is incredibly sad to think about. We also lose Pettway who at the end of the season was Brock's most reliable target, bigger loss than most people realize I think. Many are going to need to step up to reach 7-5 again I fear, and I don't think the fans should be disappointed if that's where things end up, unless of course the losses are by a point here, a point there, and 2 points there and so on again...that's demoralizing when prolonged over a season like that.

HawkJRP

Dec 27, 2019
I'm not gonna come out and say we beat Iowa in IC (I'd feel slightly more confident in Ames), but you gotta think next year would be the year, no? Breaking in a new QB who will only have a handful of real-game snaps at that point in her career, playing on a pretty big stage in maybe her 2nd or 3rd collegiate game. I know Stanley beat us in his 2nd or 3rd collegiate start, but that was against a 3-9 team in Campbell's first year. Iowa also loses pieces along the D-Line and secondary, maybe elsewhere too, not really sure. I just think it's possible, but then again, almost have to see Iowa State win before you can get too carried away predicting anything other than a L.

Stanley beat ISU in his second career start but that was in Ames against a team that finished 8-5. Beathard was Iowa's starting QB in Campbell's first year at ISU.

Iowa gets their entire backfield and receiving core back next season so the QB will have a lot of pieces at his disposal if he can get comfortable and the OL performs adequately.