way to go ISU

isuforlife

Sep 6, 2007
just made national news for students wanting a tee-shirt with logo and marihuana leaf nice image

• Dislike
Reactions: Macloney

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I'm guessing they used the pic bc apparently some people can't spell marijuana

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Isu is in their full right to revoke the use of their trademark. Norml fails to grasp the first amendment and trademarking rules.

Can they not advocate and follow their mission without a freakin' shirt? What a joke.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Isu is in their full right to revoke the use of their trademark. Norml fails to grasp the first amendment and trademarking rules.

As a public university, ISU limiting political speech by preventing the use of their trademark by a (self-proclaimed) political issue advocacy group while allowing it for others is certainly murky waters here. Not as clear cut as most people seem to think.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA

Can they not advocate and follow their mission without a freakin' shirt? What a joke.

So Norml wanted to use the ISU logo and ISU said no to use of the logo and ISU ends up on national news for being against free speech? Media reporting part of the story - shocking!

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Iowa State is doing whats smart. Don't get associated with ethical issues.

Iowa State doesn't have their logo on Free Condom Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday, but they still allow the students to engage in it.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
As a public university, ISU limiting political speech by preventing the use of their trademark by a (self-proclaimed) political issue advocacy group while allowing it for others is certainly murky waters here. Not as clear cut as most people seem to think.

Where is their free speech being limited? They allow the group. Can the group not fulfill their advocacy without the use of an isu logo? Such a petty waste of time, can't wait to watch it get laughed out of court.

there is zero first amendment violation.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

Denying use of a trademark because of what the group stands for is definitely questionable. Especially since ISU allowed it, and then later re-wrote a policy after receiving political pressure.

I dont disagree with your line of thought, but the courts always air on the side of caution when it comes to free speech. I would imagine ISU will lose this battle.

Help Support Us

Become a patron