Water Heater Issue - Replacement Advice?

kbud

Jan 9, 2012
I've also been told the components inside a tankless don't handle any type of hard water. So the lines inside could get holes in them and start leaking. Plumber recommenced a reverse osmosis system filtering the water before it hits the water heater.
Definitely do NOT put in a RO system. You will destroy anything metallic except stainless steel with RO water.

kbud

Jan 9, 2012
You may want to justify why you have/need two WHs. Do you have a whirlpool that you fill? Do you have other needs of 30 plus gallons of hot water on demand? If not you should downsize to one water heater. If it’s a family of four or five the largest unit you would need is a 50 gallon.

There are very few manufacturers. They sell under multiple labels. AO Smith is a premium name along with Bradford White, Rheem/Ruud and State. They are all spun off under different labels as well.

If you downsize to one WH consider the flue size. It may be too large and you might have to put a liner in to accommodate only one. This will prevent condensation from forming in the flue pipe and increase the updraft.

I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me. I’ve been in the trade 30+ years.

Last edited:

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
I just had Lowe's install an AO 40 gallon (9 year tank) for $1000. When the plumber got to my house he had to tack on an extra $150 to properly tap into the water line for the humidifier and add an expansion tank (get it up to code). So not bad. Home depot quoted me $1700 plus and not sure why they are so high. If you do have a plumber replace the tank make sure they replace the old valves because they can leak. It is not worth the savings and he is already in there anyway so might as well replace it.

The tank we had was original but hot showers only lasted maybe tops 5 minutes. So even though it was functioning we had to replace it for longer showers. We sometimes compete with the washing machine or someone else showering. I would take that into consideration perhaps.

Reactions: cyfanatic

Cyberclone

Aug 6, 2006
Got some quotes and the best quote was from a local (Cedar Rapids) business that said they would replace one water heater for $970 and would knock $200 off the second water heater if I decided to replace both. This company uses A.0. Smith products (never heard of them to be honest). This included installation of the new water heaters and the removal and throw away of the old water heaters. Reasonable? The company was referred to me by a couple of different people who used them for geothermal heating/cooling systems.

Cyberclone

Aug 6, 2006
That sounds like a really good deal to me....If they truly are 19 years old, I wouldn't sleep at night with either one of them. I had one replaced this spring, the Plumber told me, that these days 12 to 13 years, is really pushing the life of a water heater.

Reactions: cyfanatic

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
@cyfanatic did you end up going tankless? Our water heater is thirteen years old and we're looking at replacement options now.

I did not go tankless...I went traditional. I wanted to go tankless...but at $1750 for 2 40 gallon water heaters I just went that route. Have had a good experience so far...and wow...forgot how hot new water heaters can run...took us a few days to adjust the temperatures to levels we are comfortable with!

Reactions: jbindm

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I switched to a tankless in 2015. I have had zero problems with it in Iowa. Its the only gas appliance now in the house besides the furnace. Outside of the winter months, my gas bill is less than 20 dollars a month. I haven't run any maintenance on it yet...I'd better get on that.

The previous tank water heater was installed in 1979 and replaced in 2015. I'd say I got my money out of it. LOL.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I did not go tankless...I went traditional. I wanted to go tankless...but at $1750 for 2 40 gallon water heaters I just went that route. Have had a good experience so far...and wow...forgot how hot new water heaters can run...took us a few days to adjust the temperatures to levels we are comfortable with!

Do you mind telling me what portion of the $1,750 was for the install?

Jdk

Feb 27, 2019
I had my water heater replaced a couple years ago and the plumber that installed it said on average a water heater lasts only 5-6 years and I installed a Rudd!!

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
My father was a pressure vessel (boiler and water heater) inspector for an insurance company. I'm not claiming that anything I learned, or failed to learn, from him is accurate for your situation. His experience has me checking, by exercising, the pressure relief valve every 6 months. Also, flush once a year, and at the same time inspect the sacrificial anode and replace if necessary. Removing the anode helps the flushing process anyway, so might as well. Current water heater is 10 years old and I expect another 10 years at least. Previous water heater was 25 years old when it finally quit. Gas, 50-gallon tanks.

Reactions: Acylum

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I switched to a tankless in 2015. I have had zero problems with it in Iowa. Its the only gas appliance now in the house besides the furnace. Outside of the winter months, my gas bill is less than 20 dollars a month. I haven't run any maintenance on it yet...I'd better get on that.

The previous tank water heater was installed in 1979 and replaced in 2015. I'd say I got my money out of it. LOL.

Yeah I think between the energy efficiency savings and extended life you'll get out of a tankless the savings will far outweigh the initial costs of installing it. As long as you do a descaling flush once a year should last a long time. If you've never done it before this is a good video. You can just buy any pump and a couple washer hoses instead of buying their kit. I've used that product before but when I don't have it on hand just dumping 3 gallons of vinegar in a 5 gallon bucket and flushing the system for about an hour it works just as well.

When I had my plumber buddy install my water softener I also put in a whole house water filter you change about 2-3 times a year and it's made a noticeable difference too. Installed one of the big blue filter systems like this then I just buy a 4 pack of some good quality charcoal filters (search online because the home improvement stores really mark up the prices) and you'll be amazed how much the filter catches as they go in white and come out rust colored. Your tap water will taste better and think of all that sediment it is filtering out before it runs through your appliances and plumbing fixtures. I realize people will sometimes balk at the added costs of putting in stuff like this but in the long run softer and filtered water is going to extend the life of your appliances and plumbing fixtures just like you'll get much more life and efficiency out of a tankless water heater.

*edit Amazon links aren't working for me. This is the style of housing I recommend: http://www.purewaterproducts.com/products/wh201

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gorm and cyfanatic

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
What determines if you need a power vent?

The way I understand it is how your house was designed. If you have a pipe that goes straight up to the roof you can just use a direct vent. My vent is on the side of the house, so it requires a power vent. A fan that pushes the gas.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum