Water Dripping from Water Dispenser of Refrigerator

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Has anyone ever experienced a problem with the fridge when water keeps on dripping from the water dispenser (not on the floor)?
My fridge is ~11 years old and the last couple of months, it has been giving us problems. The water keeps on dripping from the water dispenser. I had replaced the flap seal of the ice chute last week and for couple of days, the dripping slowed but suddenly the last 2 days, the dripping became more frequent.
I had tried to research on the internet but the solutions I got were for water dripping on the floor.
I'd appreciate any input/comments. Thanks in advance.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
The valve that opens when you call for water is probably about wore out. Shouldn't be that pricey of a part and is fairly strightforward to fix yourself. At least it was on my GE.

Reactions: cyclone13

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Did it happen to coincide with when you changed the filter? We had some problems with our dispenser dripping and all it took was running a couple of pitchers of water through it to get the air out of the system. The fact that it has been happening for a couple of months leads me to believe that is probably not the case but it's the one thing that came to mind.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
We changed the filter last week, so I will try running couple of pitchers of water and hopefully it works.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
The valve that opens when you call for water is probably about wore out. Shouldn't be that pricey of a part and is fairly strightforward to fix yourself. At least it was on my GE.

Yes we also have GE. Do you know what the valve is called?

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Do you need a filter? I have read (and experienced) that some filters slow water pressure up to the point that some valves have trouble closing tightly (water dispenser and/or ice maker). If the problem persists maybe take the filter out for a bit to see if that stops the leaking? It worked for me but one of my issues is that we have a whole house filter system, then a reverse osmosis system that the refrigerator is tied into and the fridge itself had a filter. I took the filter out of the fridge and our ice maker and water dispenser have worked perfect since. I am not an expert at all...just did some research online and was a popular reason for my situation. Another reason for the lessening of water pressure to refrigerators is sediment in the water line to the fridge. If clean great, if buildup over time, less water pressure and then that could lead to the problem I described above as well. Hope you figure it out soon.

Last edited:

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Yes we also have GE. Do you know what the valve is called?

On mine (a side-by-side with water dispenser and ice maker), it's a dual solenoid inlet valve. It's located in the back at the bottom. Follow your water lines to it. I Googled my refrigerator model number to make sure that the part number was correct. Fair warning, when I first put it in, it was quite a bit louder when actuating the first few times it ran, but after a while, in quieted down.

http://a.co/8HnL3Yp

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I have a similar problem, and my Whirlpool doesn't make ice either. There's a couple parts that freeze up inside it, and the fix to to replace the fill tube, and/or add a heater to the line.

Looks like a lot of work so I haven't done it yet.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
On mine (a side-by-side with water dispenser and ice maker), it's a dual solenoid inlet valve. It's located in the back at the bottom. Follow your water lines to it. I Googled my refrigerator model number to make sure that the part number was correct. Fair warning, when I first put it in, it was quite a bit louder when actuating the first few times it ran, but after a while, in quieted down.

http://a.co/8HnL3Yp

Thanks. I'll try that too. This past summer, the hose broke in that valve and water flooded from the fridge so we fixed the hose. So probably the whole valve is giving problem too.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I have a similar problem, and my Whirlpool doesn't make ice either. There's a couple parts that freeze up inside it, and the fix to to replace the fill tube, and/or add a heater to the line.

Looks like a lot of work so I haven't done it yet.

This is what my problem was...but I didn't have to replace any parts. All I did was remove my filter and everything worked well ever since. I really don't need a filter due to the setup in my house and the filter in the fridge was just decreasing the water pressure to a point where the water valve wouldn't seal tightly and water would run into my icemaker and freeze up.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
This is what my problem was...but I didn't have to replace any parts. All I did was remove my filter and everything worked well ever since. I really don't need a filter due to the setup in my house and the filter in the fridge was just decreasing the water pressure to a point where the water valve wouldn't seal tightly and water would run into my icemaker and freeze up.

I may try that. Adding the heater looks like a PITA.

Reactions: cyfanatic