Watching the Tournament

What days do you take off work to watch the games? Select all that apply.

• Total voters

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
I usually take the Thursday and Friday off off the tournament to watch games. Still doing it this year even though we aren't dancing. Just curious if anyone else does the same.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
None this year. I almost always take Thursday/Friday off, but this year, I delayed asking off to see if we could make a late season push. With the late injuries and stuff, by the time it got close enough, I had lost motivation to do so. Still kinda wish I was off to watch the games as it's my favorite sporting event by far, but I guess I'll just have to deal with it.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I'll take off Thursday afternoon and all day Friday. The entire first weekend is great, but the first Thursday and Friday of the tournament are my favorite two days of the sports year. I set up 3 tvs in my basement and only move to get food, beer, or go to the bathroom.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I used to take Thursday and Friday off to watch games with friends and get drunk.

I haven't been able to the past few years and I miss it.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I work from home and only one of 20 employees who's vacation isn't tracked. It doesn't matter to me. I just want Duke, Kansas, and UNC, destroyed!!

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Company just sent out an email to all employees that we are hosting a "company-wide all day brainstorm" in our cafe area which conveniently features beer taps and catered lunch. Guess I wont have to take any time off.

Are you saying this "brainstorming session" features beer taps, or your cafe area does, because if it's your cafe area I'm going to need an application.

• Agree
Reactions: peteypie

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I don't have beer taps, but I will be "testing" the DirecTV service in multiple conference rooms on Thursday and Friday. It helps that it is Spring Break, so there's not a lot of people working this week anyways.

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
Are you saying this "brainstorming session" features beer taps, or your cafe area does, because if it's your cafe area I'm going to need an application.

The cafe does. Side product of having Heineken/Dos Equis as clients of the company. Can't complain, even though they have to lock the taps during the week until Friday afternoon...

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
The cafe does. Side product of having Heineken/Dos Equis as clients of the company. Can't complain, even though they have to lock the taps during the week until Friday afternoon...

Nice. I was thinking that such a perk may not be the best thing for my career longevity.

• Agree
Reactions: 2020cy

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I work while watching it.

It sucks ISU isn't in it but it will be nice just watching the games with no dog in the fight

There is definitely something to this. The anticipation of ISU's draw and them playing the games is great and there's a lot of pride that goes with that, but the UAB debacle really sucked the life out of me. Then the finality and "end of an era" thing with Georges 2 years ago, and Monte/Matt/Naz/Deonte last year made those tournaments difficult emotionally. This tournament should be pretty wide open so it should be fun to just kick back and watch without being so invested.

That said, I have no desire to make that an ongoing situation and will be ready to have us back in there next year.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
I didn't vote in the poll because I am disabled and just do some free-lance web design stuff but, I'll be watching games all 4 days and my brother takes Thurs and Fri afternoon off and we get together every year to watch games. It's a tradition we started several years ago and even without ISU, we will still have a blast and enjoy a couple afternoons together!!

Last edited:

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Usually take Thursday-Friday of the Big 12’s off and then the Thursday-Friday of the big Dance.

Passed on taking off the Big12, but will always probably take this Thursday-Friday off. We’ll have 5-7 guys at a buddy’s place with a full setup and food and beer. Should be glorious.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I’m off Thursday and Friday. The goal is not stop watching all weekend except for a few hours Saturday to go see Georges and naz.

First time in 5 years, I’ll be able to watch it all. 2013 trip to Vegas. 2014 went to San Antonio. 2015 we lost in first game on Thursday. Too depressed to watch. 2016 had Des Moines tickets. 2017 went to Milwaukee.