watched most of dan's ntsu game last night ...

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
don't mean this to be anything but an observation that he's still a very solid coach. his team last night played tough as nails, solid defense, and just like i remember yours when he was in ames. so, wth was he let go?

:mad:

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
don't mean this to be anything but an observation that he's a very solid coach. his team last night played tough as nails, solid defense and just like i remember yours when he was in ames. wth was he let go? :mad:

Big XII > Conference USA

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
I think we had ran out of his commemorative coins, and it was time to print new ones. It then so happened that Eugene Chizik became a "commodity" in the CFB world. When you can go 5-19 in 2 years, how can you pass that up?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
don't mean this to be anything but an observation that he's still a very solid coach. his team last night played tough as nails, solid defense, and just like i remember yours when he was in ames. so, wth was he let go?

This topic will end well.

His last 4 seasons included 2 debacles, and 2 seasons where the north title was ours for the taking but we ****** it away. Fans were bailing.

Chizik sucked, but he sold a LOT of season tickets. It got the train rolling (and rhoads continued it) on people buying season tickets that has continued to today's sellout season tickets. That doesnt happen if mccarney stays after the 2006 disaster.

Reactions: aauummm

GWad

Aug 22, 2013
I'm not so sure that CPR will win 4 more games the rest of this year and next. I can actually see a coach getting a pass going 5-19 in year 1 and 2 but not years 5 and 6.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Dan is a great coach and helped elevate ISU football a great deal. I will always thank him for that.

However he had momentum going in to a 3 year span when the Big XII North was VERY soft and winnable and he could not capitalize. Epic fail IMHO.

Yes, CPR is having a tough season but he has elevated recruiting, excitement, and until recently the level of play. Dan had 12 years to win games like TX on the road and #2 Okie St at home and could never seem to do it.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
This topic will end well.

His last 4 seasons included 2 debacles, and 2 seasons where the north title was ours for the taking but we ****** it away. Fans were bailing.

Chizik sucked, but he sold a LOT of season tickets. It got the train rolling (and rhoads continued it) on people buying season tickets that has continued to today's sellout season tickets. That doesnt happen if mccarney stays after the 2006 disaster.

I probably agree, this coming from someone who wasn't exactly sold at the time on making the change.

Change was probably necessary, things had gone stale, and a switch provides a jolt. It didn't exactly come off smoothly with the Chizik debacle, but it has smoothed over since.

That said, there are plenty on this board that seem to run down McCarney for his failures and frankly portray him as a failure, when in reality he basically saved the program.

If he had been fired before turning things around, that probably would have sealed the deal on ISU football.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
well, i understand the feelings here, i guess. but man, he's so bill snyderesque. and his teams play so hard and seem so well schooled. first, i'd watched him since isu days and was taken with how well they played. they may win the league and certainly will go bowling.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Dan was a good coach and was good in Ames, but I think he had gotten the program as far as he could. He had a couple chances at Big 12 north titles he never took advantage of and I do think it was the right decision to let go of him. Chizik however was the wrong hire. I still have faith Rhoads can get Iowa State consistently to a level that McCarney never could, but obviously we'll still have to wait and see.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

Why do you care? And why don't you troll somewhere else.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
well, i understand the feelings here, i guess. but man, he's so bill snyderesque. and his teams play so hard and seem so well schooled. first, i'd watched him since isu days and was taken with how well they played. they may win the league and certainly will go bowling.

Nice troll

There is NO way you watched all of these Dan the man teams and made that statement.

You don't finish last in the confernce 6 times in 12 years, including years 9 and 12, if that were truly the case.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
It's simple, JP said it himself (listen people). The fanbase had lost hope. It became clear to every fan we werent going any further with him.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Dan is a great coach and helped elevate ISU football a great deal. I will always thank him for that.

However he had momentum going in to a 3 year span when the Big XII North was VERY soft and winnable and he could not capitalize. Epic fail IMHO.

Yes, CPR is having a tough season but he has elevated recruiting, excitement, and until recently the level of play. Dan had 12 years to win games like TX on the road and #2 Okie St at home and could never seem to do it.

CPR hasn't really elevated recruiting. Danny Mac had some pretty good recruiting classes for ISU. It was the right move to move on from Mac though.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
i'm not trolling. i was making an observation(s) about a coach i admire and who used to drive us nuts. i'll leave it at that.

You bet, all of those close games dan's team played against you...jesus, the one "good" team he had lost 56-10 to you, Seneca lost 45-3 and 50 whatever to 7. I am sure he drove you "crazy."

Whatever, now I know you are trolling

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006

High quality troll here. I'm not convinced the OP was intentionally trolling but for those questioning how to troll, here is a perfect example.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
The grass is always greener...

When you play in a mid major conference with all of the built in recruiting advantages that a school in The Metroplex has.

Good for dan he got them to a bowl. But, seriously, this is the nonsense we have to deal with. He was 56-85 here, 56-85, 56-85, I will say it again, 56-85.