warning re microsoft account

rdtindsm

Jan 30, 2008
I recently bought an inexpensive computer. Because it is strictly personal, I never installed a password.

Then I decided I wanted to add a sudoko solver onto the solitaire selections and was required to open a microsoft account, the one that would be used sign up for the various services. When I came back the next morning, there was a password protected log in screen. Although I had to provide a password, I wasn't signing up for something that I thought would need a password and didn't write it down. Any attempts to recover or change the password have failed; I am thoroughly screwed to the wall. This is just a word of warning as to what can happen in careless moments.

Is it doable to simply put a new HDD in and install Ubuntu? I know that you can run Ubuntu from a flash drive as a trial.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Microsoft and Windows 10 can suck my #@@. I doubt that you are that screwed but I don't know if I can help you. I did just order some writable DVD's so that I can put Ubuntu on my old desktop that is still running XP. Tried to boot it from a USB to install but that wasn't in the BIOS menu and didn't work.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I recently bought an inexpensive computer. Because it is strictly personal, I never installed a password.

Then I decided I wanted to add a sudoko solver onto the solitaire selections and was required to open a microsoft account, the one that would be used sign up for the various services. When I came back the next morning, there was a password protected log in screen. Although I had to provide a password, I wasn't signing up for something that I thought would need a password and didn't write it down. Any attempts to recover or change the password have failed; I am thoroughly screwed to the wall. This is just a word of warning as to what can happen in careless moments.

Is it doable to simply put a new HDD in and install Ubuntu? I know that you can run Ubuntu from a flash drive as a trial.
You don't need a new drive, just reformat the one you have using an Ubuntu install disk/drive. Assuming you have another PC you can create a disk/thumb drive on.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Did Microsoft really make your online Account the same as your computer password? Talk about all kinds of security and privacy concerns that it is somewhat hard to believe but I guess still believable.

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA
Why not just reset your password?

EDIT: Oops...I see you said that's not working in the OP. My bad. What exactly is happening when you try to reset your password?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Did Microsoft really make your online Account the same as your computer password? Talk about all kinds of security and privacy concerns that it is somewhat hard to believe but I guess still believable.

Kinda. But you can set to use a 4 digit PIN instead of your full password. Essentially they now tie a Microsoft account to your computer similar to how Apple and Google do on your phones.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Kinda. But you can set to use a 4 digit PIN instead of your full password. Essentially they now tie a Microsoft account to your computer similar to how Apple and Google do on your phones.

You can set it up with just a local account instead, merely the default setup ties Windows with a Microsoft account.

I'm pretty sure others are right that MS Office requires a link account though. Not certain though as I switched to Libre/Google Docs a few years back.