War for the Planet of the Apes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ISUChippewa, Jul 16, 2017.

1. ISUChippewa

ISUChippewa Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Did anyone else see it when it opened this last weekend?

I've been a big fan of the remakes ever since "Rise" back in 2011, and this movie is near perfect. Just an amazing movie in every way, and a perfect end to the series.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. tm3308

tm3308 Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Male
    Athletics photographer at University of Iowa
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    ***SPOILER ALERT***

I'd only seen parts of Rise whenever it's on TV, but heard good things about the finale and bought Rise and Dawn on Friday, watched them that night and then saw War last night. Definitely a strong trilogy, but Rise and War were better than Dawn, IMO. My only really complaint/issue with War was the ending. Are we really to believe that Caesar suffered a mortal wound, and he both survived and kept it a secret from everyone while making the long trip through the desert that surely took weeks, only to die right after reaching the destination? I'm not surprised/upset that he dies in the end, but I felt like they could have made it a little more believable.

3. AgronAlum

AgronAlum Active Member

Jul 12, 2014
    There's a spoiler alert feature.

:D

4. kentkel

kentkel Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Male
    Teacher
    Grinnell
    I also believe that it could set up a possible remake of the original PotA - should anyone dare embark on such a task. I really enjoyed all three of these current Apes movies & probably enjoyed this last one the most. I think Serkis is definitely deserving of an Oscar for his performance in this movie (BUT, I don't think the academy is ready to acknowledge motion-capture actors yet).

5. Cloneon

Cloneon Member

Oct 29, 2015
    They did a great job of tying it to the original movie (eg Nova, Cornelius, humans becoming mute, apes rise, the forbidden zone markings, etc), but the timeline didn't seem right. The original had so much more earth time lapse to cover that single generation naming scheme.

6. tm3308

tm3308 Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Male
    Athletics photographer at University of Iowa
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    It's been awhile since I've been here. I'm a little rusty :D