Walters: ISU hires McRoy

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
Are you saying that you know that Coach McRoy does NOT have good prep connections?

I'm also wondering where you get this asinine idea that his only "skill" is Juco connections?

I didn't say anywhere that was his only skill. Read better.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
You clearly implied it, especially when you stated he doesn't have "good prep connections", something you clearly don't know, as you stated you don't know much about him.

Reading up on him didn't really change my opinion. Even the most glowing write-ups of him still make him sound like a one trick pony, whose trick is his JuCo recruiting. It's not a completely worthless trick, but I'd rather focus on prep players. You all apparently disagree.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Reading up on him didn't really change my opinion. Even the most glowing write-ups of him still make him sound like a one trick pony, whose trick is his JuCo recruiting. It's not a completely worthless trick, but I'd rather focus on prep players. You all apparently disagree.

It's not that we disagree, its that we think you don't have a ******* clue what you are talking about, and aren't really a clone fan first anyway.

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
TJ handling the prep's, McRoy to hit up the top Juco's, and Fred and Lutz to coach/recruit, I don't see any issue with it. We aren't going to compete with the Duke, UK, and UNC's of the world without a Juco stud or 2, so we might as well get the best recruiter for them we can find.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
It's not that we disagree, its that we think you don't have a ******* clue what you are talking about, and aren't really a clone fan first anyway.

Okay, because you know so much about McRoy that I don't, after reading multiple puff-pieces on him, please tell me about him.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Color me less than excited about an assistant whose #1 tag-line skill is his JuCo connections.

I'm not a fan of using JuCo players for more than a (very) occasional stop-gap. Even Gilstrap, although he was better than the typical JuCo kid, did very, very little for us as a program.

Admittedly, I don't know much about McRoy, but at first glance, I think Hoiberg could have done better here.

Good job out of you (sarcasm intended).

Coaching can be a tough profession to break into. Just because someone is climbing the ladder from the bottom, that doesn't mean they aren't an excellent hire.

For example, Barry Alvarez was a high school coach at Mason City. Thus, I would assume you would have concluded that Fry could have done better when he hired Barry.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Color me less than excited about an assistant whose #1 tag-line skill is his JuCo connections.

I'm not a fan of using JuCo players for more than a (very) occasional stop-gap. Even Gilstrap, although he was better than the typical JuCo kid, did very, very little for us as a program.

Admittedly, I don't know much about McRoy, but at first glance, I think Hoiberg could have done better here.

Because Jamaal Tinsley (and others) is the definition of "stopgap" :rolleyes:

I agree that a program shouldn't be built around JUCOs, but there are a lot of very good players at the JUCO level that would help out our team, whether they had personal/educational issues that they needed to sort out or whether they just flew under the radar.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Looks like a pretty good hire to me this late in the off-season. John Brady at Arkansas State is a very good coach (took LSU to the Final Four a few years ago), so hopefully he has learned a thing or two being under Brady's guidance.

This is going to come off as politically incorrect, but I think just about every school in the country, BCS or not, needs at least one African-American coach on the bench, and he certainly does that.

Welcome to Ames and Iowa State Coach McRoy!

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

So what exactly is wrong with having Otz and Lutz focus on prep recruiting and Coach McCroy focus on the JuCo ranks? Although I doubt any coach will deal specifically with either high school or prep players I see nothing wrong with hiring a coach that has some experience with JuCo while our other coaches deal primarily with preps. It's called balance...

CloneState1028

Jan 21, 2008
Ames, IA via Cedar Rapids
Looks like a pretty good hire to me this late in the off-season. John Brady at Arkansas State is a very good coach (took LSU to the Final Four a few years ago), so hopefully he has learned a thing or two being under Brady's guidance.

This is going to come off as politically incorrect, but I think just about every school in the country, BCS or not, needs at least one African-American coach on the bench, and he certainly does that.

Welcome to Ames and Iowa State Coach McRoy!

I was going to say this myself but didn't want to get bashed for it. This honestly is very true, and I'm glad we hired McRoy for this reason.

Also, in an unrelated note, hopefully this guy is good for team chemistry as well. It'd be nice for someone to be able to handle potential egotistical problems, and hopefully he can be that guy.

hiwhatis

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, IA

i see where you're coming from here, especially with the gilstrap example. but like you said it's just at first glance so once he's given a chance we'll see how good of a hire it was.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
So what exactly is wrong with having Otz and Lutz focus on prep recruiting and Coach McCroy focus on the JuCo ranks? Although I doubt any coach will deal specifically with either high school or prep players I see nothing wrong with hiring a coach that has some experience with JuCo while our other coaches deal primarily with preps. It's called balance...

I don't think you can have long-term success by frequently relying on JuCo kids. Thus, for me, I wouldn't have one of my three assistant coach spots filled by a guy whose main skill and focus is on JuCo talent.

And I don't see why it's crazy to second-guess a coaching hire, when Hoiberg has no experience doing this. Frankly, I'm a little disturbed that I'm the only one that seems to doubt this hire, even in the slightest. Apparently everyone is going to blindly agree with everything our coach does, without regard to the fact that he's never gone through any of this before. I understand the enthusiasm, but ignoring the fact that a first-time coach is going to make a mistake or two is silly.

nickwc

Mar 27, 2007
Denver, CO
I believe the assistants we now have are better than the assistants we had the last couple years under Mac. Once Jean left I think that took a blow to our program.