Wallabys?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
The new building will be bigger (bigger kitchen) but the seating area will only be 20 more seats. $2.5M price tag on a lease-to-own contract with Hunziker. Really, really risky move. I think it's going in just north of El Azteca but I could've misheard.

That is very interesting. Total rumor, but I had thought a few years ago they were in a pretty downward turn and were having some troubles?

I do think a different area would be good for them, though. The only non-clinical staff still at the west McFarland are just a handful of business office members. There used to be the entirety of the business office (minus a tiny handful) and the whole MIS staff. Other than McFarland and the ISU staff, there isn't much out there at lunch. And aren't the bulk of local residents students?

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
I have a lot of great memories at Wallaby's. I hope they have successes wherever they are.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Wallaby's will do great in Somerset I think, the other places like it up there aren't good, Brick City and Oddfellow's specifically.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Just north of El Azteca. Hope was for rooftop bar but doubtful the neighborhood association would approve it. Would be awesome if they did!

The only action they had in current location was game days.

cdekovic

Mar 25, 2006
Ames
The new building will be bigger (bigger kitchen) but the seating area will only be 20 more seats. $2.5M price tag on a lease-to-own contract with Hunziker. Really, really risky move. I think it's going in just north of El Azteca but I could've misheard.

This what I heard as well including a roof-top beer garden. Parking will be a premium in the area but the area is full of potential walk ups (stagger homes).

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
That is very interesting. Total rumor, but I had thought a few years ago they were in a pretty downward turn and were having some troubles?

I do think a different area would be good for them, though. The only non-clinical staff still at the west McFarland are just a handful of business office members. There used to be the entirety of the business office (minus a tiny handful) and the whole MIS staff. Other than McFarland and the ISU staff, there isn't much out there at lunch. And aren't the bulk of local residents students?
Tons of graduate students and young families live out here. That's part of why I was scratching my head as soon as I heard about it. The location itself can't be any worse than being out in BFE West Ames but when the price tag is as high as it is...

This what I heard as well including a roof-top beer garden. Parking will be a premium in the area but the area is full of potential walk ups (stagger homes).
Much like a couple posts above, I REALLY doubt the association out here would allow for the rooftop beer garden.

And there's a huge lot behind El Azteca that only has El Azteca's customers in it after 5. Parking shouldn't be an issue at all.

Last edited:

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Man I hope they allow the rooftop seating if true. That would be something really cool for Ames

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Tons of graduate students and young families live out here. That's part of why I was scratching my head as soon as I heard about it. The location itself can't be any worse than being out in BFE West Ames but when the price tag is as high as it is...

Part of it might be the planned expansion of housing to the north of Ames, that will add a ton more people to the area over the next 10+ years.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Part of it might be the planned expansion of housing to the north of Ames, that will add a ton more people to the area over the next 10+ years.
That's both good and bad. If there are only a few businesses with a bunch of houses around them you get lost in the shuffle. Right now they can live on gamedays alone. Up here the traffic coming by on gameday is SIGNIFICANTLY lower. Anyone who brings in 69 isn't taking Bloomington to Stange. Anyone who brings in the blacktop from Gilbert is taking George Washington Carver to avoid it. They don't really have another draw out here like HyVee and the strip mall are. Fareway will be a half mile away with houses upon houses between.

On non-gamedays traffic will be nothing compared to West Lincoln Way.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
That's both good and bad. If there are only a few businesses with a bunch of houses around them you get lost in the shuffle. Right now they can live on gamedays alone. Up here the traffic coming by on gameday is SIGNIFICANTLY lower. Anyone who brings in 69 isn't taking Bloomington to Stange. Anyone who brings in the blacktop from Gilbert is taking George Washington Carver to avoid it. They don't really have another draw out here like HyVee and the strip mall are. Fareway will be a half mile away with houses upon houses between.

On non-gamedays traffic will be nothing compared to West Lincoln Way.

True they won't get as much gameday traffic, but they already have a good reputation so the usuals may still drive a little out of their way to go. With expansion of housing, I don't feel like that area will get lost in it as it is the main artery from the housing down to the University or to University BLVD to get out of town. Couple that with the fact that Somerset is a much nicer area of town than where it is currently and the possibility of rooftop seating and I think there will be quite a bit of excitement about this.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Wonder if they have someone lined up to buy their current location, that would soften the financial blow.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ZJohnson
Well let me ask my uncle since he owns it...

Let me ask my aunt who's married to this good for nothing guy who owns it! Not to mention that little brat of a nephew of his!

While everyone's asking everyone else about the location, could somebody please ask somebody else what happened to the calamari? Please? :)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron