Walking On?

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Also, practice wise, does it interfere a lot with school/studying?

Practices are in the afternoons and athletes on the team get advisors that help them register so they don't have conflicts. I don't think walk-ons have that same opportunity for their first semester (before they are actually on the team) so I would recommend loading up on morning classes if you are serious about this, and then if you do not make the team you can readjust.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Practices are in the afternoons and athletes on the team get advisors that help them register so they don't have conflicts. I don't think walk-ons have that same opportunity for their first semester (before they are actually on the team) so I would recommend loading up on morning classes if you are serious about this, and then if you do not make the team you can readjust.

If you have been invited to walkon before your orientation your advisor should know this and will help you schedule accordingly.

I responded to your PM Kraps

GingerNinja

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2012
Omaha
I tried out for the team last year(with no invite from the staff) so I can give you a rundown of everything that was done last year. I'm pretty sure the same coach still runs the walk-on tryouts so it should be a pretty similar experience.

First I talked to a coach that came to my school when he was close by. He basically said that I shouldn't go to a school just because I might make it on the football team and that I needed to make sure it was a school I wanted to be at. Other than that he said that basically all I could do is work out and be in the best shape I could in order to impress the coaches.

I kind of got unlucky and needed to have hernia surgery about 2 months before so I didn't get in the shape that I wanted to be in but as long as you start now and follow a good workout plan you should be fine.

Then we had a meeting on the Friday before school started to talk about the tryout and turn in our health and insurance papers. They also gave us some things we had to get filled out by an academic and a compliance person.

We had the tryout at the Berg the 1st or 2nd week of classes around 4 in the afternoon. It was only a 2 hour, one day tryout so you don't have much time to impress. The run you through a warm-up and then they test you in the 40, pro agility (5-10-5), and the standing broad jump. These are pretty key numbers along with your height and weight so I would drill these a lot from now till tryouts.

After the testing they split us into lineman and skill groups and ran us through some very basic drills. I think they just want to know if you have the simple football skills needed to help on scout team for your first year. Just backpedaling and route-running for the skill guys mainly.

After that your done and they email you in about a week to tell you whether or not you made it.I didn't last year but looking at the guys that did they were usually the bigger, taller players and not necessarily the fastest. That's basically all I have but if you have any more questions about specifics just let me know.

Help Support Us

Become a patron