Walking at night off of Beale St

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

egunzy

Mar 16, 2008
Humeston, IA
Before I left for Memphis I saw several posts about how unsafe it was to get more than 2 blocks off Beale St after dark in any direction. I heard some WRNL podcasts mention that as well. We stayed at the Sleep Inn by Court Square (about 8-10 blocks off Beale St) and we walked back to the hotel each night and never had any issues or felt threatened. The walk along Main was very well lit. I did not notice any police presence either but did not feel like it was needed. Just curious to see what others who stayed off Beale thought about this.

Thanks!

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Before I left for Memphis I saw several posts about how unsafe it was to get more than 2 blocks off Beale St after dark in any direction. I heard some WRNL podcasts mention that as well. We stayed at the Sleep Inn by Court Square (about 8-10 blocks off Beale St) and we walked back to the hotel each night and never had any issues or felt threatened. The walk along Main was very well lit. I did not notice any police presence either but did not feel like it was needed. Just curious to see what others who stayed off Beale thought about this.

Thanks!

Maybe you looked too poor to rob? :D

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
hqdefault.jpg

Storkenheimer

Oct 2, 2011
We stayed 5 blocks north of Beale and my group observed the following over the course of 2 evenings:

A poor gentleman informed my brother that he was dumb for no real reason. He continued jawing at us for about a block but no one could understand him.

Someone who was having mental or substance issues screaming at us incoherently about 'the supreme leader of the universe'. Not sure, maybe he was talking about Snoke??

A confused individual in an argument with a light pole.

2 people arguing with each other on a side street. Then they started running toward a cop car and screaming about God knows what.

Some dude out front of a bar on Beale had a bunch of white powder on his nose. He was sputtering half sentence nonsensical prophetic rhymes.

I blame my brother that was with us. He seemed to be a magnet for all the weirdos.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
We stayed 5 blocks north of Beale and my group observed the following over the course of 2 evenings:

A poor gentleman informed my brother that he was dumb for no real reason. He continued jawing at us for about a block but no one could understand him.

Someone who was having mental or substance issues screaming at us incoherently about 'the supreme leader of the universe'. Not sure, maybe he was talking about Snoke??

A confused individual in an argument with a light pole.

2 people arguing with each other on a side street. Then they started running toward a cop car and screaming about God knows what.

Some dude out front of a bar on Beale had a bunch of white powder on his nose. He was sputtering half sentence nonsensical prophetic rhymes.

I blame my brother that was with us. He seemed to be a magnet for all the weirdos.

If I were with you, every one of those folks would have come up and talked to me like we'd known each other for decades.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If I were with you, every one of those folks would have come up and talked to me like we'd known each other for decades.

Like they've known you or because you've known them for decades? :)

I think in most situations if you're out when the crowds are out and don't do anything stupid safety shouldn't be an issue.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Well, no Cyclone fans were murdered. Which is more than I can say for my position counterpart with our Memphis district office.

u_of_elvis

Dec 4, 2017
There is a square of downtown Memphis that is considered the tourist district. It has it's own police station, tons of police coverage, and it very safe. It goes from the FedexForum to Autozone park and then to the river. You don't want to wander south of there except for the south main arts district, and if you are going north to the hotels stay on Main street.

Memphis is full of pockets of good and bad, they are real close together, and it changes fast. The pockets of good are much bigger than they were in the early 90s, and a little common sense goes a long way. There are other pedestrian entertainment areas outside of downtown like Cooper Young (west of the stadium) and Overton Square. That's where locals go out.

I saw some Iowa State fans walking south down airways / lamar after the liberty bowl, and I did want to pick them up but the car was full. I'm sure it was fine (especially if they have common sense and know how to mind their own business), but I wouldn't want to take a long stroll around there. The only reason there weren't prostitutes at the same intersection is that it's hard to show off your wares in a parka.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and Cy4Lifer

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
The area we stayed in was great but had a few uber drivers tell us not to go far past the Arena. If you could not tell there was a strong police presence around Beale Street. Also people usually don't use razor wire for the fun of it.

• Funny
Reactions: TXCyclones

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I do believe the weather impacted this. In 2012 we stayed at a hotel up by the St. Jude's Hospital, so it was also a decent walk and I remember the homelessness being a lot worse....