VT in discussions with SEC

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Also **** Jim Delany, and the Big Craphole conference. Now I am done ranting.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Virginia Tech will compete in football in the SEC. Which will be something new because for years only Florida, Alabama, and LSU were regularly competitive in the SEC.

What sport did Rutgers win at in the Big East? Women's basketball? Big fracking deal.

How do Mizzou fans feel right now? Probably not much different than they historically have felt in the Big 8/Big 12, since they're about as competitive in the SEC right now as they've historically been in the Big 8/Big 12.
I'm not so sure after watching years of them getting railed in BCS bowl games and non-conference games against SEC teams. I bet they would finish in the middle most years. This year they would probably be near the bottom.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Yep it will end up being basically 2 conferences in 1 and the winner goes to this so called playoff. **** this **** I am so sick of this crap.

And when you get right down to it how is this any different than it was historically? The Big 10 Champion played the Pac 10 Champion in the Rose Bowl, the Big 8 champion played the independent(?) champion in the Orange Bowl, and the SEC Champion played the Big East(?) champion in the Sugar Bowl. When you get right down to it it's the exact same thing now, except instead of calling them "bowl games" you're now calling them "superconference championships". Oh yeah - and a hell of a lot more $$$ is being thrown around now.

D

DistrictCyclone

If VT jumps, the other major ACC football powers will not be far behind.

So who in the ACC doesn't get picked up by the Big 12/SEC/Big Ten (or would be lowest on the pecking order)? Wake Forest and Duke ought to be nervous, as UNC/NC State are clearly the top targets in that state. I'd be worried if I were Syracuse/Boston College, too--they're too far north for anyone but the Big Ten, and I would assume the Big Ten would prefer to expand southward now that they've "locked up" NYC with Rutgers.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
So who in the ACC doesn't get picked up by the Big 12/SEC/Big Ten (or would be lowest on the pecking order)? Wake Forest and Duke ought to be nervous, as UNC/NC State are clearly the top targets in that state. I'd be worried if I were Syracuse/Boston College, too--they're too far north for anyone but the Big Ten, and I would assume the Big Ten would prefer to expand southward now that they've "locked up" NYC with Rutgers.

The ACC schools that I would suggest are in trouble are UConn (I'm already penciling them in), Syracuse, Boston College, Duke, and Wake Forest. Pittsburgh is less in trouble because I think the Big 12 wouldn't mind picking them up. I would also suggest that Miami of all schools has something to be worried about, because if FSU does go to the Big 12, the Big 12 doesn't need Miami, but Miami would desperately need the Big 12.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
And when you get right down to it how is this any different than it was historically? The Big 10 Champion played the Pac 10 Champion in the Rose Bowl, the Big 8 champion played the independent(?) champion in the Orange Bowl, and the SEC Champion played the Big East(?) champion in the Sugar Bowl. When you get right down to it it's the exact same thing now, except instead of calling them "bowl games" you're now calling them "superconference championships". Oh yeah - and a hell of a lot more $$$ is being thrown around now.

The difference has always been members of a certain conference played each other almost every year. Now it is going to be every 6 years or so. Rivalries are gone and thats ********. Sure if the Big 12 added say CU FSU NCST AND GT or whoever we play them 1 time in so many years that is stupid. I understand the money but the conference structure is now dead. It is basically the AFC vs the NFC with divisions.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Honestly I think these are the only two that are going to get left out. Syracuse isn't officially in the ACC yet but I could see them getting left out if the ACC dissolves.

D

DistrictCyclone

Can you link that? No way would that fly with a 4 team playoff.

It's just message board banter, scattered throughout the thread below, but I thought someone on here claimed that the shaggybevo guys were citing legitimate sources (I'm not seeing anything other than pie-in-the-sky internet talk):

Maryland and Rutgers talk not going away - Page 354

Also, I believe the scenario mentioned that 2 teams from each conference would get a bid, so presumably that would mean an 8-team playoff (2 at-large teams from the "lesser" conferences). Again, grain of salt.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The difference has always been members of a certain conference played each other almost every year. Now it is going to be every 6 years or so. Rivalries are gone and thats ********. Sure if the Big 12 added say CU FSU NCST AND GT or whoever we play them 1 time in so many years that is stupid. I understand the money but the conference structure is now dead. It is basically the AFC vs the NFC with divisions.

Once again, at the end of the day, how is it really all that different from Big 10 vs Pac 10, Big 8 vs ACC, SEC vs SWC, etc?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
While I'm indifferent towards superconferences, as long as at the end of the day ISU belongs to one, that's all that matters to me.

Yes. This is a relevant post. We don't exactly control our own destiny in these things, so let's at least not get screwed by it.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Honestly I think these are the only two that are going to get left out. Syracuse isn't officially in the ACC yet but I could see them getting left out if the ACC dissolves.
No way do any of these schools get left out, if so, there will be HUGE legislation and conferences do not want that. These are storied D1 programs, now Temple, South Florida, Cincinnati are screwed. Schools that have been "in" a big conference forever have huge leverage.

D

DistrictCyclone

So who picks up BC? Do you see anyone other than the Big Ten wanting to stretch themselves that far?

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Here's my pie-in-the-sky prediction:

Big Ten: Adds Maryland, Rutgers, Virginia, either Duke or North Carolina
SEC: Adds Virginia Tech, either Duke or North Carolina or NC State
Big 12: Adds Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, the remaining NC school, Pittsburgh, Louisville

The ACC and Big East leftovers come together:

Boston College
Cincinnati
Connecticut
Miami
South Florida
Syracuse
Temple
Wake Forest

and add eight more schools from the best of the rest - they already have Houston, Memphis, UCF, SMU, and Navy that should be on their way still. I bet ECU makes the cut, too. If either San Diego State or Boise State don't go to the Pac-12, they are in. If they do, they'll still need to find two more... maybe Northern Illinois or Southern Mississippi or Army... yeah, this is sounding pretty dire for them.

The Pac-12 situation is more precarious because they don't have as much good potential inventory. BYU and Boise State are both added but their options for the last two spots are limited - Nevada, San Diego State, Colorado State, and Fresno State are the best ones. It will be difficult for them to figure it out. Would not be surprised if they make a run at Texas/Texas Tech/Oklahoma/Oklahoma State - let's hope they are not interested.

And let's not forget Notre Dame, who could throw a wrench into this whole thing by picking any conference they want... if they want.

After this is all said and done, college football as we know it will be totally unrecognizable

Last edited:

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
It's just message board banter, scattered throughout the thread below, but I thought someone on here claimed that the shaggybevo guys were citing legitimate sources (I'm not seeing anything other than pie-in-the-sky internet talk):

Maryland and Rutgers talk not going away - Page 354

Also, I believe the scenario mentioned that 2 teams from each conference would get a bid, so presumably that would mean an 8-team playoff (2 at-large teams from the "lesser" conferences). Again, grain of salt.

So it would pretty much be 6 10-team conferences. We got our 10!

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
If this goes down, leftovers of Big East/ACC will come together IMHO.

This. I find it really ironic that the ACC started this realignment mess a decade ago by swiping Boston College, Virginia Tech, and Miami from the Big East, and it's been a battle between the two ever since as to who was going to become the most relevant conference when all is said and done. The ACC is going to end up winning the battle, as they're going to be the conference that survives this. But it looks like they're clearly going to lose the war, as they're going to end up being relegated to what the Big East once was, composed mostly of schools they were once poaching from.

And no, I don't think either the Big 10 nor the Big 8 started this. The Big 10 added an independent Penn St, hurting nobody. The Big 8 became the Big 12 by absorbing the most desirable pieces from a conference that had gone supernova. While schools like Rice, SMU, and Houston did get hurt in the process, they didn't get any more hurt than they otherwise would have been if the Big 12 didn't form, as the Big 12 didn't form from an existing conference - the Big 8 was dealing with free agents.

Reactions: CycloneErik

jthornton17

Jul 12, 2012
Also **** Jim Delany, and the Big Craphole conference. Now I am done ranting.
You can thank Notre Dame for this. As soon as ND went to the ACC, Delany had revenge on his mind. The BIG and SEC are about the rape the ACC and destroy them. UNC and Virginia look like they will be in the BIG by all reports and Virginia Tech and Duke or NC State to the SEC. That leaves about 4 schools for the Big 12. FSU/CLemson/Ga Tech/ Nc State or Duke.