Volvo

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Kind of curious as to your Lacrosse comments......what year and what issues have you had? I have a low mileage ‘13 (grandma’s car) and I am looking at putting some serious miles on it in the next year (44k) and would like to know what may be coming down the road.....pun intended.

TIA

It’s a 2014 e assist with 63000 miles. Battery left me stranded. In the last few weeks I’ve had a bad tire pressure sensor, ABS light, service airbag and service stabilitrac. I have no idea what the dash lights are for. The dealership buying it from me is taking that on.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I hate that people lump all models of a brand together. Yes, 40 years ago you could say all Yugo's are junk but that has mostly changed. Some of the least reliable brands as a whole, still have certain models that are reliable and the most reliable brands as a whole, still have certain models that are unreliable. Even someone like Jeep, who overall is bad, makes a couple of models that are somewhat decent.

Also, everyone rates reliability differently. Some studies will put equal weight to cars with transmission issues as those that have bad Bluetooth.

Also, what's been reliable in the past doesn't mean the new model will retain that reliability. Of course a 2021 Toyota 4Runner is going to be reliable, you're basically driving an SUV that hasn't changed in a decade. Does that mean the 4Runner is the best in the class, for 95% of the public, the answer would be no. Give it 2-3 years after a remodel and you'll almost always come out ahead. Reliability is important but it's not everything, especially in today's world where most everything out there is pretty good and so many share components. Think ZF8 Transmission, which I think I have had in everything from a BMW 2 series coupe to a Dodge pickup.

A big question mark with Volvo is what it's going to be like to own a gas model from a carmaker that has pretty much said that every redesign after 2025 is going to be electric only. There are similar questions with other auto makers but Volvo is ahead of most of the others.

As far as the S90, I was given one as a loaner about 5 years ago and I hated everything about it. It's probably been redesigned and a lot better. More recently, I drove the XC90 and it was nice. The one big thing you're doing right is looking at an uncommon large luxury car. These are usually lease returns, well taken care of, long warranties, and can be had at bargain basement prices. I did this in 2013 with an CPO Infiniti M56. A car with an $72k sticker, less than 30k miles, and sold to me CPO'd for less than $36k. When I compared it to new 2013 models for $36k, it was almost laughable.

Yeah, it is a lease return from a pretty prominent person in the Des Moines scene (paperwork in the glove box has his name on it).

Sticker price was 54k in 2018. I’m buying it for half that three years later.

The interior is the exact same as all of their new models in the showroom.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
When it comes to reliability, what I can tell you today is that pretty much all vehicles suck. Some just suck far worse than others.

Normally bullet proof cars like Honda and Toyota no longer are. Some of the worst things we've done as a country is push the idiotic CAFE standards that have resulted in things like CVT and dual clutch transmissions along with variable valve timing and cylinder management. I promise you that however much money has been saved by lower fuel consumption has been p***** away in repairs by a factor of about 5. Cars that were notorious for never consuming oil now frequently consume a quart every 800-1000 miles. This is not progress.

The most reliable cars were built 15-20 years ago. Today's are all crap....which is a real problem as labor costs for repair continue to escalate. And don't expect it to get any better.